Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Beautiful, followed by beautiful and dangerous, followed by beautiful and dangerous and loud.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow.
Wow
Wow
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Truly astonishing!

I hope for Mrs. Whistler's sake that you didn't take the latter two.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Oh my!

That last pic is just incredible, Whistler!

I am fascinated with the form and power of tornadoes............fascinated and terrified at the same time, actually. Tolkien wrote of "terrible beauty", and for me, that's exactly how I feel whenever I see photos and films of them. Living where I do, I've only seen their distant cousins, water spouts, rising up from the ocean on occasion.

And then I turn the boat around and hightail it in the opposite direction!

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been to in my life. Anyone recognize it? (Hint: It is not in the United States)

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Is that Lake Louise?

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Indeed it is, my dear Athrabeth. When I was a teenager, I went on a "teen tour" that made a loop through the western part of North America (mostly in the U.S, needless to say). So many beautiful places! But the two main places that stood out in my memory more then any others were Yosemite and Lake Louise/Banff.

I'd give you a prize for answering the question, but the prize is my friendship, and you already had that in spades. :)
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Ooooooo...........I LIKE teh shiny prize! :love:

The colour of Lake Louise is quite astonishing, isn't it? I've seen it a couple of times, and once it looked just like liquid emerald, and the other time, more like milky turquoise. I think it depends on the light and season.

Yesterday, I noticed that all the maidenhair ferns in my garden are now soggy brown bracken. :(

So, in anticipation of their spring awakening:

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Some things are more beautiful than a photo can capture.

For years I assumed pictures of Crater Lake were retouched to heighten the blue into impossibility. That was pretty common in the 1960s and '70s. Then I finally saw it:

Yes, it is that exact, impossible blue. This is not my photo, because our photos were all "corrected" down to ordinary blue by the photo processor. I hope to go back soon with a digital camera.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, that's is an amazing blue! :shock:

Lovely mountains, Voronwë - I know several people who've been to Canada, they all went to Lake Louise/Banff and they all come back :love: ! I want to go there, too, I think! :D

And yet, again my love for the beauty of the smallest things comes through: speechless and awed at your pic, Ath! :)

While we are on the subject of mountains: this is a favourite postcard a friend sent me earlier this year. I usually display cards I get for a while, but I'm keeping this one still leaning to a bowl on my sideboard, because I noticed that when I light a candle on the sideboard the light in the picture seems to come to life.

As to where this is, it's another guessing game for you! :D
Voronwë the Faithful

I'd have to guess the Alps, but that is only a guess. I'll say the Matterhorn, though I am sure that is not right. :)
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Nah, VERY far away from that! :D
Voronwë the Faithful

Okay, then the Himalayas. :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

New Zealand? The photo certainly has the flavor of some parts of the films.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Prim's got it right!

It's Aoraki/Mount Cook in Mount Cook National Park!

Here's a :love: and a :cheerleader: for a prize! :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

B-but I never win anything! :shock:

I'd like to thank the Academy. . . .
Voronwë the Faithful

w00t!
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

:rofl:

:thumbsup:

With such a moving speech, there should be a real prize cup:

Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Prim!

My husband and I got to Crater Lake on a camping holiday once. "Impossible blue" is a wonderful way to describe its colour. The closest blue that I can think of is that of lapis lazuli, which is my very favourite gem, which although classified as "semi-precious", is most definitely precious to me! :love:

Hobby, I'm always impressed with how big New Zealand looks in pictures (and movies 8) ), when it looks so dang small on maps! :suspicious:

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

I really should put this in Memories.

When I was very small ... about 4, I think, my mother and I came across a sight very much like this one. The forest floor carpeted with bluebells with beech trees (still, my most beloved tree of all) shimmering on an early spring day. I don't remember, but she always said I turned to her with a strangely awed expression and said, "We're in fairy-land now."
But I still remember the feeling and I can still see the bluebells and those trees.

I do so love trees.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.