Tolkien Estate Sues New Line, The Hobbit Not Yet Threatened

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Do you have a copy now, Vor?

<greed greed greed greed :P >
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What's it worth to ya. =:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Ummm- how about a firstborn child? Decent first baseman, hits for power and average both, won't walk the dogs or take out the trash without nagging, tends to leave your DVDs lying around where they get scratched and ruined, so I'll give you a discount. :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

LOL soli, getting a first-born in a bargain is not all it's cracked up to be, is it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Looks like the court is postponing the case management conference scheduled for tomorrow to do it the day of the hearing on the demurrer, tentatively scheduled for 6/27.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

If this article is correct (and this is *not* a reliable reporter, starting with the idea a trial date will be set this month), the introductuion of this Carrie creature indicates that Time-Warner and its lawyers have gone beyond hardball to gutterball

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 072239.ece
Voronwë the Faithful

There is in fact a trial date set, soli. It is set for 10/9/2009.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That brings dirty tactics to an even lower level than I'd have believed possible. No offense to you guys, but this is the sort of thing that gives lawyers a bad name.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

There is in fact a trial date set, soli. It is set for 10/9/2009.
Missed that, Vor. But you and I know that initial trial dates usually represent wishful thinking (except in the Eastern District of Va, home of the 'rocket docket')

--------------

Royd Baker-Tolkien has posted about this Carrie person:
10 Facts about Christopher Carrie

1. Carrie has a criminal record which would prevent him working with children or vulnerable adults.
2. Carrie is a fraudster who has tried for many years, unsuccessfully, to defraud and extract money from the Catholic Church, the Tolkien family and other celebrities.
3. Carrie is well known to local and national police. He has been contacted by them on numerous occasions with regard to his threatening behaviour.
4. Carrie has admitted that he lied about his sexual abuse in order to extract money from the church. (The Sun, 14th September 2004). Carrie said: 'It was mischievous of me; but when there's money on offer...';
5.Carrie did not live within 100 miles of John Tolkien when at the time of the alleged abuse.
6. Carrie has never won a legal case against another party.
7. Carrie has never sued anyone who has challenged his self published lies.
8. Carrie part owns Luna Internet. This is the only reason his website still exists.
9. Carrie is trying to sell the film rights to his fictitious life story on ebay for £1 million. No one has bid for it.
10. Carrie is currently a struggling IT worker who lives at * ** Address deleted * you can contact him there.

I should add that the settlement Carrie got out of the Birmingham diocese was chump change: what's known in the business as "making him go away" for less than the cost of litigation.

BTW, Carrie's unhinged website claims that not just John, but Michael, JRR, CS Lewis, Fr Francis Morgan, and the Inklings collectively were *all* pederasts, and that their meetings in Lewis' rooms were actually devoted to molesting little children 'dressed up like elves and fairies.'

--------------

If TW is going to get this nasty, I wonder if the Estate might counter with the nuclear threat of Copyright Reclamation? It comes up for the trilogy in 2011-12 and Hobbit in 2013.
Voronwë the Faithful

TORN has posted a description of where things are at with the lawsuit here.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yes—I wonder where they found such a thorough, detailed, and beautifully clear explanation? :D

And I love the last line.

Very well done, Voronwë, and I now understand the situation much better. (And feel more hopeful—or at least, my hope has more of a basis!)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

How did they manage to scoop HOF? :shock:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

They used a very nefarious tactic.

They asked nicely.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Ooooo, devious. :D

But they knew exactly who they were dealing with.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:They used a very nefarious tactic.

They asked nicely.
The vultures!
:spin:

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

The updates are going to go on our front page, right?
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Jnyusa wrote:The updates are going to go on our front page, right?
I think that would be a permissible way (on TORN) of drawing attention to this site: when there's news on which V can comment, he could post a full update here, then post a follow-up on TORN's Hobbit-movie forum, in the form of an abbreviated update with a link to HoF. I think. (Also, since this is your site, V, I suspect you could include a link to HoF in your TORN user profile, which includes the option of listing one's "homepage".)
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I believe TORN already denied Voronwë the right to post a link to his own site, N.E. Voronwë should correct me if I misunderstood him.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful

They removed a reference to HoF from the short bio that I included with the piece and told me that I could not advertise a competing messageboard. I didn't ask whether I could include a link to HoF in my user profile, but the message was pretty clear. I don't want to step on any toes over there, so I didn't press the issue.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

How petty. They should realize that the more that boards cross-promote one another, the more traffic they all get.
Last edited by WampusCat on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.