The Obama Phenomenon and the 2008 Presidential Campaign

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Oh, I know that "lying weasel" != "bitch". No, I won't call Hillary that. Yes, a lot of people hate her for sexist reasons. A lot. But there are also people who dislike her for what I would consider completely legit reasons. It's sometimes hard to separate the two, also.

Yeah, I guess "icy" is used more with women than men. I've never heard someone called an ice king! That said, I sure would use some negative adjective to describe Hillary regarding this meeting with Cooper.

Huckabee is not going to be the nominee! Unless there are some goofy brokered convention things going on. It's also hard to see Romney getting a clear majority of delegates, though maybe he'll get some crazy momentum after his possible better than expected showing tonight.

Honestly, I think Obama is unstoppable. I'm okay with that.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Faramond wrote:Yeah, I guess "icy" is used more with women than men. I've never heard someone called an ice king!
Actually, that's a really good example, because I have definitely heard "icy" used as a complimentary term about men (in the same sort of way that it is said that they have "nerves of steel").
Honestly, I think Obama is unstoppable. I'm okay with that.
I think there is a good chance that the primary and caucuses are going to be so evenly split that it will come down to Clinton's advantage in the super-delegates. And that, I think, would be a shame.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

No, no, Obama is going to win! The more Dem voters see of him the more most of them want to vote for him.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I read the Brooks piece. I do find myself wondering if a male politician employing similar tactics would ever have been criticized for doing it; or if instead people would admire his manly forcefulness.
No, on the whole he would be called either a nether orifice or a generative organ- including by other politicians. This sort of dealing would be right at home in Tom DeLay's playbook- who deserves any and all the above epithets.

I have a couple of good friends who worked as Hill staffers during the Clinton years- and while the press seemed to be amazed 'charming' Bill couldn't get a Democratic congress to cooperate when he had one, it was no surprise at all to the staffers- because what Brooks described was SOP in the early Clinton days.

Another friend (DCPD, Secret Service liason) had numerous occasions to observe the Clintons at first hand: a shocking contrast to the ever-considerate elder Bushes, the Clintons were disdainful, rude, and sometimes abusive to perceived 'underlings.'

I've also never forgiven Hillary for forcing the White House Naval Attache to serve canapes like a bloody waiter....
Last edited by solicitr on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And yet Tom DeLay had a successful political career for quite a while. ;)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Clinton’s victories seem fairly concentrated to the areas she has a connection to – in and around New York, and in and around Arkansas. It seems she’s going backwards elsewhere, which is a concern for her campaign. We can’t make any judgements until California, though.

McCain is heading for a big night. He might not get over the line today, but he’s pulled ahead as a clear frontrunner. The GOP might not be heading for a brokered convention after all. What's stopping him now is Huckabee's pesky habit of winning a lot of delegates in the (crucial) south.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's a cool site from Google Maps and Twitter

And really, CA 57/34 for Clinton?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Interesting exit poll results in California:

Unsurprisingly, black Democrats have gone overwhelmingly for Obama. Rather more surprisingly white Dems have also gone for Obama over Clinton by a small but significant margin.

But on the other hand:

Latinos- 2:1 Clinton
Asians- 3:1 Clinton.

An intersting twist on racial politics, 2008 style.
The GOP might not be heading for a brokered convention after all. What's stopping him now is Huckabee's pesky habit of winning a lot of delegates in the (crucial) south.
Huck hasn't won Georgia or Missouri yet; in fact, McCain currently leads in Mizzou.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Still, Huckabee seems to be storming home in the Deep South. Also, with more results coming in from the West, Romney is looking more hopeful. Its bad news for the GOP, though – one candidate has won the south, another the Midwest, and neither is the frontrunner.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I'm so pleased it wasn't a runaway for Obama, as people seemed to be talking about. Of all the candidates who spoke tonight, I thought Hillary was the best. I believe her to be sincere and compassionate, and I felt excited and moved by her speech; I totally reject all this Hillary hatred, and a sweep for Obama would have seemed like a win for that hatred to me. I'm glad this will go on, so that people will continue to have a chance to further assess all of the candidates.

Obama struck me as always, as alot of style and charisma, but without the substance Hillary has. I thought E. J. Dionne had a good column talking about the differences in their campaigns, and he hit on what bothers me about the Obama campaign -- it's almost religious in nature. I don't need someone to usher in Paradise on earth for me, all I need is someone who can help reverse some of the horrors of the last eight years, and get the country back on the right track.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

dp
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

For the second time in a row, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Cerin (especially having just heard Obama speak, and feeling utterly...distanced from the enchantment so many seem to feel with his ethereal promise of "change").
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Oh, oh ... they've called California for McCain, and David Brooks says that means it's over for the Republicans. I hope Romney doesn't decide it's over.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

California: Called for Clinton and McCain. The big enchilada.

I'm not sure whom this is a bigger win for. This cements McCain's status as crown prince. For Clinton, it shows that she still has the party machinery to beat down the Obama insurgency.

And Missouri (58, WTA) to McCain. Romney is finished. Huckabee was never a contender- just a southern spoiler.

Now- with the Dem race still tight, how long I wonder before Hillary starts taking the low road?
Last edited by solicitr on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Well, I just looked at the county by county results of what returns are in so far California, and McCain is leading in every single county. ALL of them. It's a bloodbath for Romney.

If this across the board lead for McCain holds up in the congressional districts then he will win nearly all of the 170 Republican delegates in CA. Though these districts have been gerrymandered within an inch of their lives, so who knows?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

CO went to Obama, but I think CNN knew that before I even came home from my precinct's caucus (our captain called in our results as soon as we had them). In my precinct, six of our seven delegates went to Obama. The other one went to Clinton. By the time the meeting officially began, most of us had been waiting for two hours and we all just wanted to go home. I think there will be many stern letters sent to the Colorado Democrats demanding a primary next time around.

I'm going to my county's convention in March as an alternate delegate for Obama and a full delegate for Mark Udall, who, after many excellent terms (my opinion, of course :P) as Congressman, is taking on the Senate. Hopefully the convention will be better organized than the county's caucuses were. That was a bloody disaster. Though, to be fair, turnout was record. My precinct caucused in a gym because, even with people standing, they couldn't pack all 120 of us into the high school classroom we were originally placed in.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

solicitr wrote:Now- with the Dem race still tight, how long I wonder before Hillary starts taking the low road?
How long, I wonder, before solicitr starts in with the Hillary bashing?

Perhaps I'll keep a running count. That should be fun. Or maybe we should have a pool -- how many times will solicitr trash Hillary before she becomes President? Closest without going over wins . . .

. . . we'll think of something.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

The biggest loser tonight is probably Zogby polls. Boy were they completely wrong on California, projecting both Obama and Romney with big leads when in fact Clinton and McCain have settled in with comfortable wins.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm losing faith in polls. They're about as good as weather forecasts anymore.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Cerin wrote:
solicitr wrote:Now- with the Dem race still tight, how long I wonder before Hillary starts taking the low road?
How long, I wonder, before solicitr starts in with the Hillary bashing?

Perhaps I'll keep a running count. That should be fun. Or maybe we should have a pool -- how many times will solicitr trash Hillary before she becomes President? Closest without going over wins . . .

. . . we'll think of something.
I wonder, will it be more than the number of times you trash Bush before he leaves office?

I think that would make a good side bet. ;)