The Obama Phenomenon and the 2008 Presidential Campaign

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Starting the primary in small states also gives lesser-known candidates a chance to get some attention. It also lets voters in later states get some idea of a candidate's vaibility, as well as letting candidates see what sort of chances they have before they go and spend a gazillion dollars in all fifty states.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

My issue with starting the primary in smaller states is that those smaller states then have an effect disproportionate to their population on the ultimate outcome, which seems unfair to me (see also the Electoral College and the Senate.) I think that the commentary after Iowa is a prime example of this - Hillary's campaign was briefly presumed in great peril because, why? A small bunch of midwestern Dems/Independents (total population of the state is 2.9 million) had their say, so that's that? I find it infuriating that a high percentage of the candidate pool drops out, under our primary system, before a majority of Americans have had a chance to weigh in.

Put differently, I think that the voices of the registered voters in California (total population 36.5 million) should collectively count - how can I put this - 36 times as much as New Hampshire's 1.2 million total population (assuming that voter registration tracks the total population.) Unfortunately, because New Hampshire gets to "talk" first, Californian voters (among many others) never get to have any opinion that matters on a majority of the playing field.

And I, so far, do not buy the argument that the current system enables less well-funded candidates. After all, it's not quite February 5, and the viable candidates with fewer resources are still no longer on the ballot.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Nel, I've replied to you in the primary delegate math thread. That way we can return to our regularly-scheduled Hillary-bashing here.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

So it's down to Barak or Hillary. The question I asked a long while ago before any candidates had declared themselves is still the same. Which candidate is more likely to get an erstwhile Republican voter to switch to voting Democrat? This is the crucial question in my mind. One could refine it by adding who would get people out who would not otherwise vote. And also by asking who the Republican hierarchy fears the most.
I respect both candidates but I think I know the answer.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

So Ann Coulter has endorsed Hillary Clinton over John McCain.

This is by far my favorite moment of the 2008 campaign.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sweeeeeeeet. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Faramond wrote:So Ann Coulter has endorsed Hillary Clinton over John McCain.
Clearly even Ann Coulter belongs to the powerful Sisterhood of Women.

:devil:
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<raises dainty fist>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Faramond wrote:So Ann Coulter has endorsed Hillary Clinton over John McCain.

This is by far my favorite moment of the 2008 campaign.
Sorry about the mess but my head just imploded. I'll get some sponges and clean it up...
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

It must be a joke.

Meanwhile, MoveOn has endorsed Obama.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's significant, but not surprising.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Yes, the ultra-right pundits are absolutely frothing over the prospect of a McCain candidacy. I tried to listen to a Rush rant yesterday sheerly for entertainment value, but couldn't take more than a couple minutes of it. I can't say I understand why they loathe him so much.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Shirriff note from Prim: The discussion of the Iraq War has been moved to the following topic:

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1444
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Mitt Romney seems to have won Maine, and by a decent margin too. Not a major contest, but it's the last before Super Tuesday.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Is Ron Paul's performance better than expected? He beat Giuliani in most contests, apparently.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:Is Ron Paul's performance better than expected? He beat Giuliani in most contests, apparently.
He's done better than I expected. He came in second in Nevada, and it looks like he'll finish a close third in Maine. He also won a county in each of Iowa and Nevada.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Our first Super Tuesday result – Huckabee wins the WV Caucus 52-47 vs. Mitt Romney.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Just wanted to solicit any thoughts on Barack vs. Hillary on universal health care. I found this opinion piece (also published by the Times, which has declared its bias, of course) interesting.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Krugman has made little secret of his support for Clinton pretty much across the board. I respect him on many matters, but I think his arguments here are based on a lot of supposition and uncited sources. Phrases like "new estimates say" are not up to his usual standards. Whose estimates? Done how?

I'm not saying his argument is without merit. I'm saying it's slipshod and thus impossible to judge on merit.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

It was rather thrilling voting in Paris today! Lots of people turned out for the vote, and the place was really abuzz.

I felt a tiny bit of

(dare I say it)

hope.

:)
Last edited by Teremia on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.