Truth, Reason and Love

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I really enjoy it when that guy starts talking about numbers :love:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Are pi and e examples of such numbers, Faramond?

I've read the suggestion that in other universes those constants may have different values. But it is so interesting to me that they are both (here, anyway) irrational numbers. And yet they describe the real and the measurable.

Really interesting post. I must come back and read it again when I'm not on Nyquil.

(I have always loved the idea of the different sizes of infinities—the set of all whole numbers, which is ten times the size of the set of all whole numbers divisible by 10, though both are infinite; and both infinities are much smaller than the infinite set of all real numbers . . . I wish I'd had the gumption to study these things seriously.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Primula Baggins wrote:Are pi and e examples of such numbers, Faramond?
Oh no! These numbers are perfectly describable. For example:

e = 1/0! + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + 1/5! + ...
( n! = n*(n-1)* ... *3*2*1, for example, 5! = 5*4*3*2*1, and 0! is defined as equal to 1 )

pi/6 = 1 + 1/(2^2) + 1/(3^2) + 1/(4^2) + 1/(5^2) + ...
(Lidless talked about this series a bit over on B77)

I alluded to a "pattern" in the decimal representation last post, but this was a bit misleading. The decimal representations of e and pi do appear random, but I can finitely describe what each number is, even if I'm talking about infinite sums, as here. The infinite sums have patterns!

I can't give you an example of a number that can't be pointed to, because if I could, then that number could be communicated and described finitely. But we can prove there are numbers that can never be described finitely, that can't ever be pointed to in any way, and yet they exist under the commonly held axioms of mathematics.

It would take forever to write out all of pi or e, of course. But it only takes a finite amount of time for me to tell someone these numbers in such a way that they could turn around and describe these numbers to any precision of decimal points in a finite amount of time.
I've read the suggestion that in other universes those constants may have different values. But it is so interesting to me that they are both (here, anyway) irrational numbers. And yet they describe the real and the measurable.
Well, I don't know if the constants would have different values in other universes. Now, if you define pi as the ratio of a circle's circumference to diameter, then you will get different values of pi depending on the curvature of space where you make the measurement. The value of pi we use is the one you get from circles in Euclidean space, with curvature of zero, where parallel lines exist and never get any further from each other.

I believe that space in the solar system has a very small curvature, though for most practical purposes it's Euclidean space. I think pi has to be defined as the ratio of circumference to diameter in zero curvature space, though. The value of pi turns up in all kinds of physics equations that don't seem to have anything to do with circles!

I can't imagine how e would be different in another universe, but ... I guess anything's possible in another universe.

(I have always loved the idea of the different sizes of infinities—the set of all whole numbers, which is ten times the size of the set of all whole numbers divisible by 10, though both are infinite;
These are the same size infinity, though. :) Mathematicians count two sets to be the same size if they can be put into one-to-one correspondence with each other.

1 --- 10
2 --- 20
3 --- 30
10 --- 100
11 --- 110

This is a one-to-one correspondence between the sets, so these infinities are the same.

and both infinities are much smaller than the infinite set of all real numbers . . . I wish I'd had the gumption to study these things seriously.)
Just google "Cantor diagonalization" if you want to know why the real numbers make a larger infinity!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

:scratch:
Dig deeper.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Maybe I shouldn't go off on tangents!

Split it off if it needs to be, of course.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Faramond wrote:Maybe I shouldn't go off on tangents!

Oh. It's a tangent. :shock:

Hm. Not a cosine? :D

*has betrayed ancient schooling in very, very, extremely very elementary stuff*

*wishes was math genius*

*gazes fondly at old logarithim tables on bookshelf*
Last edited by vison on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Faramond wrote:Maybe I shouldn't go off on tangents!

My inclination is to not split it off, unless enough people feel strongly that it should be. Yes its a tangent in a way, but I think it does relate to the topic of the thread, such as it is.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I like the pun, vison. :D

V, did you know that pi and e are transcendental numbers, at least in the mathematical sense?
Voronwë the Faithful

Vaguely, in the deep recesses of my mind (there was a time while I was an undergraduate when I was briefly a double major in Math and English. Then I dropped both of them and became a Philosophy major.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks for the explanations, Faramond! That's interesting. Not sure I'll be Googling that for a few months, though I will try to do it eventually.

The one-to-one correspondence thing makes sense, I guess, but seems unfair somehow. Why doesn't the same thing go for the set of all real . . . oh, wait. Is it because there are an infinite number of real numbers between any two integers? So there can't be a one-to-one correspondence?

Probably not. :P But I have fun thinking about it.

I do remember when I was 12 or 13 making a chart where I tried to work out the logical progression for how many vertices and faces and right angles a square, cube, hypercube, etc., had. I think I got to six dimensions before I short-circuited, but it was fun (and I learned later that my answers were right; there is a logic to the progression).

My problem is loving math but having a qualitative mind. :D Rather like loving Impressionist painting while totally colorblind. Or actually probably more like loving the idea of dance, while having two left feet with weak ankles in lead-lined boots.

Or perhaps it's just an absurd fondness for analogies.

Yes, Officer, I'll go quietly.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Don't split the thread. What could be closer to God than math?

:D
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I just have to share that I believe "Cantor Diagonals" would be a great name for a rock band.

And the only thing closer to God than math would HAVE to be music. :)
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Music and math is weaved together anyway, aren't they? :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup.:)
Misha

Post by Misha »

Aren't all math teachers God incarnate? I certainly thought so in middle school. They seemed all knowing and all powerful to me. And then there was that red pen..... :shock:

Gosh..... I had to read back a few pages..... so this is what happens if one isn't paying close attention around here!

Mathematics was created to explain the world around us in measurable ways. Theories were/are developed and "believed" to be true, but much of scientific experimentation meets with failure. The true scientist must have a measure of faith to sustain the pursuit of his proof.

Are truth, reason and love applicable in the scientific mind and pursuit? I believe they most certainly are. Faith in the unknown? To a degree. Faith in the certainty that the unknown can be discovered, with the right set of metrics. Faith in the process of seeking, waiting, exploring. Not blind acceptance though.

Einstein did not believe in god as a personal diety but as a force that we might call Nature.
Thanks for the NPR link VT

He was enthralled with the "mathematical elegance" of the universe and believed that there was "something deeply hidden behind everything." In his work Einstein sought to understand what god was thinking.

For some, science is religion; a certain "religious" awe makes for good science. The thrill of the unknown drives discovery. Mystery is inherent to both science and religion.

"Science without religion is lame and religion without science is blind." -Albert Einstein
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Anthriel wrote:I just have to share that I believe "Cantor Diagonals" would be a great name for a rock band.

And the only thing closer to God than math would HAVE to be music. :)
Maybe.

But in the beginning there was Word.
:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not in Tolkien, though. . . . :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Astronomy Picture of the Day for March 18. . . .

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

(If it isn't March 18th any more, go find it on the site—it's easy.)
Misha

Post by Misha »

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

The archives are indeed awe inspiring! :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Misha wrote:Aren't all math teachers God incarnate? I certainly thought so in middle school. They seemed all knowing and all powerful to me. And then there was that red pen..... :shock:

Gosh..... I had to read back a few pages..... so this is what happens if one isn't paying close attention around here!

Mathematics was created to explain the world around us in measurable ways. Theories were/are developed and "believed" to be true, but much of scientific experimentation meets with failure. The true scientist must have a measure of faith to sustain the pursuit of his proof.

Are truth, reason and love applicable in the scientific mind and pursuit? I believe they most certainly are. Faith in the unknown? To a degree. Faith in the certainty that the unknown can be discovered, with the right set of metrics. Faith in the process of seeking, waiting, exploring. Not blind acceptance though.

Einstein did not believe in god as a personal diety but as a force that we might call Nature.
Thanks for the NPR link VT

He was enthralled with the "mathematical elegance" of the universe and believed that there was "something deeply hidden behind everything." In his work Einstein sought to understand what god was thinking.

For some, science is religion; a certain "religious" awe makes for good science. The thrill of the unknown drives discovery. Mystery is inherent to both science and religion.

"Science without religion is lame and religion without science is blind." -Albert Einstein
What a great post, Misha! Thank you very much.