What faith have you chosen?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.

What faith are you?

Christian, Protestant
25%
Christian, Catholic
18%
Atheist
20%
Agnostic
5%
Jewish
10%
Buddist
No votes
Muslim
3%
Pagan
3%
Hindu
3%
Other
15%

Total votes: 40

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

What faith have you chosen?

Post by yovargas »

Replicating an old Manwë poll here out of curiosity. This seems like a more spiritually diverse group then that board was. That thread also ended up being a handy reference guide so I'll try to keep this post updated with which posters identify with each group.

(Sorry if I missed your religion but it's impossible to be perfectly inclusive in our polls!)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

None of the above.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's odd, I thought I put "Other" as the last choice. Can a Ranger add that to the poll?
-The Decemberists

Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Born a Roman Catholic, will die a Roman Catholic :D
That's what my grandad always says.

If I'm in a foriegn country or a place where they don't have Catholic Churches, I usually go to "mass" at other Christian Churches in the vicinity. I attended a Jehovah's Witness ministry once. When I was a kid I go to the Baptist Church in the morning for Sunday School (since my Aunt, on my mom side takes me there) and go to mass as an acolyte (altar boy) at the Catholic Church in the evening.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yovargas wrote:That's odd, I thought I put "Other" as the last choice. Can a Ranger add that to the poll?
Done (even though we don't have Rangers here ;)).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I like it that you put the topic as "what faith have you chosen". :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

As someone born to generations of Lutherans and as the daughter of a Lutheran pastor, I've sometimes encountered people who assumed that I have no other reason for being a Lutheran. It's perfectly possible to be brought up in a faith and still to feel one has chosen it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'd really appreciate it if those who vote post their answer in the thread!
9 votes and only two people have posted their answer.

I'm an atheist, though one who is unusually friendly towards the concept of god. :)
-The Decemberists

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Prim wrote:It's perfectly possible to be brought up in a faith and still to feel one has chosen it.
Jean-Paul Sartre said (paraphrase), "Happiness doesn't come from having what you want but from wanting what you have."

I always felt that key fit the lock perfectly. :)

Jn

oops - sorry, Yov, I forgot to post my vote. Jewish.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Atheist.

Of course, did I even have to say so?
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Nin, why would you assume that everybody on the web knew your religious outlook?
It's perfectly possible to be brought up in a faith and still to feel one has chosen it.
Prim, that's my situation, too, and that's why I liked the fact that yov spoke of having "chosen" it. Many people would just assume that people just have a religion like they have a native language or so. :)

Catholic Christian in my case. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Agnostic
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Agnostic. Latest epic-length essay on religious background posted at b77 last night, so I'm at least keeping it short here. :)

ETA Yes, I agree that everyone should choose their religion once old enough to do so, even if the choice made is the same religion with which one was raised. I have a hard time with the notion of believing in a religion solely because it's what you were taught by your parents, so how could it possibly be wrong? (I'm thinking specifically of my father's approach to religion here.) I think that the best religious outlooks - no matter which religion is ultimately chosen, or none - are those which are consciously chosen following the age of religious majority.

ETA2 Eru, it's good to see you as always. :hug:
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Atheist. Like Ner, I've gone on about it on other threads so I won't ramble here. Like yov, I try to be undertanding about the concept of god, but I treat it like any other philosophy. Christianity strikes me as an ethical philosophy, and a pretty good one. But I fall off the wagon when the supernatural (as opposed to the "spiritual") issues enter the discussion. For that reason also, I can't settle for merely "agnostic." I'm simply not agnostic about the supernatural.

I know my Bible. For better or worse, the response to Christian scripture is the history of western civilization. You've got to know the playbook.
Last edited by baby tuckoo on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

nerdanel wrote:I think that the best religious outlooks - no matter which religion is ultimately chosen, or none - are those which are consciously chosen following the age of religious majority.

And so thought the Anabaptists back before Luther. It was a heresy that got many of them burned or hanged.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm saying Christian/Catholic, since that is the faith I have chosen to bring up my children in. I actually strongly disagree with much of Catholic Doctrine and would probably be lapsed were it not for my kids. However, whatever the problems with the religious structure and aspects of the dogma, I believe kids need a fixed point of reference until they are old enough to question for themselves. For that purpose, Catholocism serves an excellent purpose, since the primary tenets are ones I can easily stand behind.

The devil, however, is in the details. Pun intended.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Raised Catholic but identify as Christian Protestant since early adulthood.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Post by Angbasdil »

As a Lutheran, I have to point out that I don't believe that I chose God, but rather that God chose me.

But I still voted "Christian, Protestant". ;)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

yov, I can't select any of the options as I would be lying in part by selecting just one.

I'm an agnostic of the Jewish persuasion (and I chose Judaism because I was born into Greek Orthodoxy, so I'm not an agnostic of the Greek Orthodox persuasion).

Does that make sense? Not sure why/how my response could help you.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Nin wrote:Atheist.

Of course, did I even have to say so?
I for one didn't know. :)

I...don't think I follow Impy. (Hi, btw. :)) Does "agnostic of the Jewish persuasion" mean you're agnostic but lean towards or follow certain Jewish beliefs/practices?
-The Decemberists