"Bible Scholar on an Airplane"

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Kushana

"Bible Scholar on an Airplane"

Post by Kushana »

Each time I take my seat in an airplane, I am faced with a problem of existential proportions. It is a dilemma, really, one brought on not by fear of flying or anxiety about the physical integrity of the plane or its pilots (I try not to think about those things). My flying dilemma is borne of the unknown neighbor, that companion who has by random chance — or some exceedingly complex algorithmic computation — been assigned the seat next to mine.

To get to the point, the dilemma is this: When I wish to pull out the papers I need to grade, or the text I am translating, or the manuscript I am proofreading — or, heaven forbid, the latest book about the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Gospel of Thomas I would like to be reading — how will I proceed? Will I guard the titles of my books or the headings of the papers? Will I make it abundantly clear that I am not open to or available for casual conversation about matters of religion? Will I take the risk of piquing the interest of my neighbor, whose expertise in and curiosity about my work derives primarily from her lingering enthrallment with Dan Brown's latest hit? (Raise your hand if you know this experience.) Or perhaps will an evangelical impulse be aroused within my flying friend, and will this become for him a providential meeting of potentially kindred spirits, the occasion to revel in the glories of God's Word as he understands them?

http://www.sbl-site.org/Article.aspx?ArticleId=604

Letters in response:
http://www.sbl-site.org/Article.aspx?ArticleId=618

Yours,
Kushana
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Even as one who is by no means a biblical scholar, I can empathise with that dilemma. :)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hi Kushana! Very interesting. I'm curious to know, have you ever encountered this dilemna? If so, how did you handle it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I have had three "inappropriate" lengthy religious conversations that I can recall. In all three cases, they were with people I had just met (and never saw again).

The first was during my freshman year of college. I had gone to get food (by myself), and overheard the conversation of the two gentlemen at the table next to me. One was saying that C.S. Lewis had to be one of the only people who had converted simply by reading books, not by talking to real live Christians. Being me :), I stood up and said "excuse me, but you are mistaken. Lewis did have Christian friends, most notably J.R.R. Tolkien." (Okay, so those might not have been my exact words, but that was the gist of it - and it was before I was aware of people like Barfield.)

I only meant for it to be a single remark, but somehow, I got pounced on. Not for that. But....it was weird. I'd never had a religious discussion with a stranger before, I guess. Maybe that is how I learned not to mention the fact that I am Catholic among Evangelical Christians. All I remember of the conversation is that one of the men would not let me go. He basically followed me back to my dorm. Freaked out, I wouldn't go to the door (I didn't want him to know where I lived), so I stood on the street corner and tried to freeze him out (I figured that he would get cold once we were just standing still, not walking, and eventually have to go away). I honestly couldn't tell you what we talked about, though surely it was a conversation that lasted well over an hour. I do recall him being impressed that I knew what my names mean (all of them). As an example, my confirmation name is Veronica, which comes from vera icon, "true image," because she got the image of Christ's face on her veil. I think the reason he wouldn't leave me alone is that he wanted to convince me that I could be sure of my salvation. That I could know I was going to heaven. I kept deflecting that, I suppose, perhaps insisting that for all he knew, I could die an unrepentant murderer. I really don't remember what I said, though. I only know that my stance on that is that I trust Jesus (basically, I know the judge ;)), but I won't presume to do his job for him. I do trust his promises, and know he will stand by his word. To me, that is certainly good enough! To him, it wasn't, because he felt I would then waste time and effort trying to assure myself that I would go to heaven.

Eventually, the man left. I returned to my dorm, where my roommate enquired why it had taken me so long to get dinner.....

The second occasion was during my senior year in college. I went to a job interview in Maine :shock:. The driver who picked me up at the airport was Pentecostal, and we had a two hour drive to the plant I was interviewing at. The same driver picked me up after my all-day interview to return me to the airport.... I think that is the only time in my life I have seen someone "show off" their ability to speak in tongues. I have many Christian friends who do so, and even my sister does. But none of them do it publically, or at least, not like that. The man was better at talking than listening, so I'm pretty sure he never even found out I was Catholic. I had learned not to reveal such things (see above), but I certainly would have answered a direct question. Again, I am not sure what we talked about for all that time, but I recall the initial conversation started with him learning PowerPoint (that I could handle!) but eventually it was him trying to convince me that the only reason people die before the age of...76? is because they fail to claim God's promises for a full life. Or something like that. I must admit that I wasn't paying that much attention.... but I felt the need to be polite and not upset the man who was driving me! I certainly got the impression that he took that job as an opportunity to preach to strangers, though, so I was a bit annoyed with him.

And now we come to the third instance. In the prior two, I very much feel that I was the put-upon person, but in this case, I was certainly the culprit. I was at a wedding in May, and was seated at a table with other people from Baltimore at the reception. (Former co-workers of the bride, some of whom I knew). The husband of one of the ladies I had not met before, though, and he was seated across from me. The conversation started pleasantly enough, and I did what I had learned to do the year I lived in Baltimore - keep my mouth shut when church people discussed things I blatantly disagreed with. But for some reason...this time I didn't stick to that. I think it started to annoy me that I was coming across as agreeing, when I did not. So I made a few comments. Nothing....too blatant. But enough to stir things up, I suppose. He took the bait, and pressed a little further. So did I. And before I knew it, we were rehashing Vatican II and he was in tears. Yes, I reduced an elderly gentleman to tears and dashed his hopes for the future generation of Catholics....at a wedding. What on earth was I thinking?!? Why didn't I let it drop before it came to that? I don't know. I honestly cannot say why I didn't allow a conversation with someone I had just met to remain superficial. But I do think...well, I think we were able to explain to each other why it mattered so much. He remembered the Church pre-Vatican II, and he had grown up with not much faith at all - then Vatican II happened, and suddenly his faith was real and it had meaning. So, he associates reform with renewal and growth, and tradition with some dark evil. I can't blame him for that. But I grew up with reform and wishy-washy faith, and met tradition and fell in love, so not surprisingly, my perspective is different from his ;). I think it was good we could explain our backgrounds, and he did say that if all traditional Catholics were like me, he wouldn't mind them so much ;). But I definately felt that what I was doing was....wrong. I was polite, but we were both a captive audience. And I know I have the ability to rile people up and not back down - I love to argue. I should have put a sock in it.

What made these conversations inappropriate? It wasn't just that people disagreed, or that they were about religion. I have certainly had more than 3 such conversations in my life!

It was the captive-audience, the fact that we were strangers, and the fact that the conversation went on for so long. And in the last case, it was because I made an old man cry remembering his father, who had a problem with alcohol. The-person-sitting-next-to-you-on-a-plane easily fulfills all three roles. You are strangers, you are captive, and the flight will be at least 2 hours (in most cases). [Hopefully, it will not come to the point of tears or empassioned begging.] It is just a recipe for disaster. There certainly has to be a way to...divert attention, prevent it from happening. Saying "this is for work," or somehow distinguishing between professional and personal might help, or asking the person about what they do, or their family, or commenting on sports - keep it friendly and superficial if you don't want to discuss...other things. I have no tips on how that works, because I do not guide conversations, I merely participate in them. But I can see how it would be frustrating to know that your work just invites comment, whether you do or not.

All I can say to that is, try wearing a habit ;). That attracts the crazies, I've been told.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Mith, for some reason your incident #2 reminded me of Pratchett's Constable Visit-the-Infidel-with-Explanatory-Pamphlets. :blackeye:

I am usually pretty good at blandly deflecting religious disagreements in social circumstances, even when my tongue is bleeding from biting it. The exception being people who visit-me-with-explanatory-pamphlets - on them I have no mercy. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Mith, I think that religion and politics are the things we should talk about first, not never.

That you made an old man (How old? My age? Just pat him on the hand) cry is a good thing. Confronting your principles should make you cry sometimes. You should wish them (your principles) to be the best but, like your children, be prepared to release them.

I love to talk religion with strangers. The stranger and I don't know each other, so our questions carry mystery. Most people insulate themselves from others who might probe that odd belief.

What harm a question? What harm sharp dialectic? What harm a contraposte that doesn't go to the person?

If you don't cry, you haven't been touched.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Mith, I think the guy followed you because he wanted badly to meet a pretty young girl who could keep up an hour's deep religious discussion! You've probably broken his heart! :P :D

(Not sure what you mean by "speak in tongues", but if what someone says is just nonsense to me and not about to make for an interesting exchange, I agree the best is to grin and hope they'll get tired, while silently forming your opinion of them. :) )

I feel sorry for the Bible scholar in the article, but not because of their 'dilemma', but because of the sad attitude the person has to getting to talk to strangers.
Is it really so often that people talk to you as soon as you take out a book on a plane? Never happened to me so far, I think.
And even if so - yes, the worst thing that could happen is that you find yourself with someone bent on converting you to whatever, but I think it's far more likely that you'll end up having an interesting exchange in which you can either teach the Dan-Brown aficionado (as given in the text as an example) to know better, or even, who knows, meet a kindred spirit! :)

(But maybe I should add that people from Cologne are notorious for their tendency to talk to strangers. :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have a solution for you Kushana.

Open this link instead:

http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Alatar wrote:I have a solution for you Kushana.

Open this link instead:

http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf
Why would an Arab use English numbers? :scratch:

;)
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

I always pray the rosary or pray a novena on the plane, and whenever the person next to me starts looking disgustingly at me, I go "No, were not going to die! Trust me!" :D
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Kushana

Post by Kushana »

Dear Voronwë,

I am so sorry to reply this late: the book has been joined by two presentations and I'm considering setting up a cot in the library.
have you ever encountered this dilemna?
Nearly every time I get in a taxi, share a car with folks who aren't colleagues, or take any form of mass transportation.
If so, how did you handle it?
I always get into an argument with myself: I want to be honest with people about what I do, I want to answer their questions, I often get asked theological or personal questions that I can't (or don't wish) to answer;* sometimes I get into arguments. (I never try to start (or add fuel to) fights, but they sometimes end up that way.)

* I will never tell you what my religion is or what any religion's stand should be on any issue.

I almost always end up hating how my field has delt with the public because I almost always encounter a 30 or 40-year time lag (with polka-dots what has currently made a sensation) between how scholars see the field and how the public does. I understand there will always be a lag: it's my job to keep up with the state of the art, but my we've done a poor job of educating the next generation of professors, the next generation of clergy, and the public in general for at least three generations...

I am never afraid to take out my notes or my work or my current professional reading -- but that is sometimes a guarantee I won't finish it.
I sometimes stare out the window or take a nap or put on headphones, instead.

I always weigh my wish for peace (in which case I lie or pick the most technical and remote area of my field I can think of) with my wish to be honest and do my job.

So, if you ever find yourself sitting next to a woman reading a book on Gnosticism who half-looks at you and mumbles, "I study the cosmological implications of the figure of 'the Keeper of Splendor' in the salvation-history found in the Tocharian texts of a dead branch of medieval Uighar Gnosticism" and goes back to reading, please say:

"Manichaeism, right? *Kushana*?!"

It may not be me, but I can count on one hand the people who could give that answer. ;)

-Kushana
P.S. You're too kind.
Last edited by Kushana on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

No need to apologize, Kushana. We are very patient at the Hall of Fire. ;)

And besides, your response was worth waiting for. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Kushana

Post by Kushana »

Dear MithLuin,

My sympathies!
MithLuin wrote: .... It was the captive-audience, the fact that we were strangers, and the fact that the conversation went on for so long.
I feel exactly the same way: the conversation may last the length of the trip (if the other person lacks manners) and I may only have that amount of time to understand them, listen to them, and talk to them (I try not to hand out my card like popcorn....)
It is just a recipe for disaster. There certainly has to be a way to...divert attention, prevent it from happening. Saying "this is for work," or somehow distinguishing between professional and personal might help, or asking the person about what they do ....
:) I do, but religion doesn't follow the normal rules of polite conversation: the very presence of the topic often changes the rules and part of the 30-40 year lag (well, in this case a 100 year lag!) is the distinction between academic and clergy. [I've been reading a scholar's biography from 100 years ago and his education and career included pastoral and scholarly work in equal measure (and he had as much theology and philosophy training as historical work in his schooling.)]

I often have to cover that I'm not a plainclothes nun, I don't teach Sunday school, I don't give sermons, and all I can do in pastoral situations is sympathize in a completely untrained way. (No one ever notices that I never wear religious symbols.) It is my professional work -- but if you were sitting next to [/K. picks name out of hat] Al Gore, and he looked in a mood to talk, wouldn't you ask him about climate change? He has set himself up as someone who talks about that and knows about it, yes?
But I can see how it would be frustrating to know that your work just invites comment, whether you do or not.
Well, I'm one of those pains-in-the-neck who finds every trade or profession fascinating. :D But I think nearly every other profession can do the Jedi-handwave and say, "This topic us utterly boring to you." Everyone has some relationship with religion or has heard something about it: that doesn't work for my field (no matter what one studies.)
All I can say to that is, try wearing a habit ;). That attracts the crazies, I've been told.
No, I can't lie. (I have a friend who was a nun, everyone treated her differently -- but the habit also let her say "Shoo" in a particularly effective way.)

I don't mean to say "poor little me": :D I love my field and I love talking to people about it (I could have buried myself in archival work, otherwise). I understand the rise of historical and textual criticism and the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi Library (in my particular branch) at first put us at a loss of what to say or how to integrate those discoveries into what we taught and wrote -- but we've had more than enough time to get over that and our fear of offending people, our fear of talking turkey, our fear of asking our students (clergy and academic - and the public) to think about those matters in an educated and careful way has created this problem.

I want to be part of fixing it; that's the work of education, after all, to equip people to work out for themselves complicated and difficult issues.

-Kushana
Kushana

Post by Kushana »

Frelga wrote:The exception being people who visit-me-with-explanatory-pamphlets - on them I have no mercy. =:)
(I always mean to have a stack of Church of SubGenius pamphlets on hand for that occasion ... or the strangest of whatever pamplets I may have on hand. I figure it ought to be a trade: I have no more intention of converting in that situation than they do of becoming an Essene Rabbi of the Restored Manichaean Orthodox Church.)

Yours,
Kushana
Kushana

Post by Kushana »

Dear Truehobbit,
Is it really so often that people talk to you as soon as you take out a book on a plane?
Yes, at least for me.

I can think of several books I own whose covers, titles, or interior illustrations nearly guarantee strangers' notice. I try to simply read the next book (or magazine) on my shelf. That said, I can almost promise that the next thing I read on a trip will be this: Reading Judas: The Gospel of Judas and the Shaping of Christianity if that doesn't catch anyone's attention, the authors' names might. (I know I could escape this by substituting something meant for my summer beach reading, but I always have professional reading (or a publisher's catalogue) to catch up on...)

Yours,
Kushana
Kushana

Post by Kushana »

Alas, I like being able to *stay* on the plane/train/boat/bus until the end of my trip!

(I've also considered blinking and answering in a dead language.)

Really, my field just needs to change: it's alright if everyone I meet keeps saying "What?" whenever I mention the Nag Hammadi Library -- the world won't end if no one can ever give me a five-line summary of "The Hypostasis of the Archons." (And, frankly, it would worry me if they could....) But I do want people to have a basic sense of how history shapes religion and that religions change, why one religion taking over is unlikely (if history has anything to say about it), of why religions split into (usually hostile) branches (and why they're so bad resolving those arguments), and of what to do if their neighbor is a SomethingElseian.
(Besides throw rocks: no matter how strange, threatening, or repulsive another faith seems, this never makes the throw-ee look good -- and it seldom represents the best and most generous aspects of their own faith.)

Odd are there are always going to be neighbors who are SomethingElseians, those odds have gotten better with travel and communications technologies: my field, history, psychology, and anthropology are the four who have something to say about how to pick through that more gracefully than we sometimes have.

Yours,
Kushana
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'm not a bible scholar, but I earn my living in a way that a lot of people disapprove of. I have been scorned, let me tell you. It makes me twitchy.

I don't know what it is that makes strangers on a plane or train jump out of their ordinary habits -- perhaps it is the sense of motion? That whilst traveling we are no longer "on earth" and subject to the usual rules?

Not long after 9/11 I sat next to a young turbaned man who was reading a book (in English) about Sufi Islam. We chatted for a few minutes and then he buried himself in his book for about an hour. Then, since he had come across something that he HAD to talk about, he talked about it to me. After more conversation I asked him why he took the chance of talking Islam to ME, with the hysteria extant at the time and he said, "You have wise eyes" which I have always treasured as one of the loveliest things anyone ever said to me.

On the other hand, I've sat next to dozens of people who wanted to talk hockey or politics or about the plight of the unbaptized in Borneo. A few times I was hit on and propositioned. Now that was a shock, I can tell you. "Would you like to come to my hotel with me?" the guy asks. "Um, no, I wouldn't and now, how are we going to get through the next hour without me pouring my drink over your head?" Never a dull moment.

About the worst thing that ever happened between me and another passenger was when this incredibly self-absorbed glamour gal started to remove her nail polish as we taxied for take off. I was beside myself, the fumes were choking me, and were permeating the whole plane. The look that cow gave me when she realized I'd complained to the flight attendant!!!
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

vison wrote:After more conversation I asked him why he took the chance of talking Islam to ME, with the hysteria extant at the time and he said, "You have wise eyes"
:love:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

vison wrote:The look that cow gave me when she realized I'd complained to the flight attendant!!!
:love:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Kushana wrote:
(I've also considered blinking and answering in a dead language.)

I SO think you should. And take pictures of the expressions on their faces, pretty please?

:D