Tom Cruise is the what now?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Griffon64

Tom Cruise is the what now?

Post by Griffon64 »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007030603,00.html

Everything surrounding this guy just moves further south every so often, doesn't it?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh. My. Heavens. :shock:

<takes two Tums>

There goes his career, which is some comfort.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, to be fair, he can't be responsible for what other... excentrics, let's say, tell him.

He IS however fully responsible for listening to them.

Bizarre. Absurd. Preposterous. Words fail me.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

If he wanted to save himself, he'd already have issued a flat repudiation of this grotesquely offensive comparison. (I would say the same if they'd equated him with, say, Gandhi.)

This is going to mobilize some people who were ignoring him up to now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Uhhh...isn't The Sun a really bad and unscrupulous tabloids? Why would anyone take their word on this? "A source close to the actor" could mean some guy who brought him a donut one time.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Yes, The Sun isn't the most accurate of reporting structures - but neither is Scientology the most humble of ... well, whatever the hell they are ... and neither is Tom Cruise the most normal and down to earth of men :roll:

Either way, the whole thing just made me go "Eh, wha?" and I felt I simply had to share :D
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Poor Tom. He's had a little bad publicity and ribbing for his beliefs. Yep, that's surely the equivalent of crucifixion.

:roll:

I can't decide whether to :rofl: or :rage:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, if it turns out to be false, he should sue them within an inch of their lives, just for his own self-preservation.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

:rofl:

Well, it doesn't say he's Christ, it says he's "Christ of Scientology" - seeing how he's the number one representative of this, er, mindset, and how steadfastly he clings to the group, they might well begin to adore him as a Hubbard-sent. ;)

I like it that even the Sun classifies this under "bizarre". :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's still extremely tasteless, even if it is also bizarre, to seriously compare a human being to a person whom hundreds of millions of people view as God incarnate.

I guess I don't boggle when someone in a novel or film is referred to as a "Christ figure," because that's an archetype of sorts. But to compare the sufferings of Tom Cruise to those of Christ . . . that's where I get off. :P
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough words.

:shock:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yovargas wrote:"A source close to the actor" could mean some guy who brought him a donut one time.
:rofl:

It's my impression that this privileged class of people, who are paid such a mind boggling amount of money for their work in large part because they happened to be born with faces the movie camera loves (not negating the fact that many of them do develop a fair amount of skill at their craft), it's my impression that they get to thinking quite highly of themselves (and really, who can blame them since there is a large segment of the world's celebrity-crazed population that considers every little detail of their lives to be of enormous significance). So I admit my first reaction is to suspect that ol' Tom won't find this new mantle an ill fit at all.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Just a minute.

First off the Sun is a quality paper. Just see page three for proof. ;)

Secondly, I have no proof we are not part of an ancient alien civilization, nor that Tommy is or is not the chosen one. Look Rosie O'Donnel likes him and I saw him dance in his undies.

He has strong convictions and who am I to gainsay him?
For all I know there could be a spaceship flying nearby to pick us all up, and where will I be without my Nikes and jogging outfit? Hmmm?

Tommy very well may be here to save us all.
He could be the Messiah. Or a very naughty boy.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Just a minute.

First off the Sun is a quality paper. Just see page three for proof. ;)

Secondly, I have no proof we are not part of an ancient alien civilization, nor that Tommy is or is not the chosen one. Look Rosie O'Donnel likes him and I saw him dance in his undies.

He has strong convictions and who am I to gainsay him?
For all I know there could be a spaceship flying nearby to pick us all up, and where will I be without my Nikes and jogging outfit? Hmmm?

Tommy very well may be here to save us all.
He could be the Messiah. Or a very naughty boy.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I'm just waiting for the bumper stickers that say "What would Tom Do?"
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

tinwë wrote:I'm just waiting for the bumper stickers that say "What would Tom Do?"
:rotfl:

In an ironic coincidence, I just sat down two days ago and booted up "Youtube" for the first time... I looked up Tom's dancing on the couch thing with Oprah, Tom's "chat" with Matt Lauer, and Farah Fawcett's vacuous performance with David Letterman.

Y'know, stuff I'd heard about, but hadn't seen.

That Tom interview with Lauer is REALLY odd. And scary. And it made me respect Matt Lauer an awful lot, as he was simply trying to say that some types of drugs work for some people, and Tom was having none of it. "If you understood the history of psychology like I do, Matt"... Oh, yeah. The guy's a flipping expert. After all, he read up on it!

To my understanding, Scientology teaches that You are Everything. You are the master of all your world. I've always thought that that is why it attracts movie stars so readily... no humbleness needed.

Tom DOES think he's God. Christ wouldn't be that difficult a reach.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

He's an actor. Once he makes decent movies I'll be happy to watch them. Who he thinks he is, or what other people think of him has nothing to do with his acting. As for the "cult" status, Hollywood makes ordinary people into Gods all the time. Given a choice between Hollywood and Scientology I'll take Tom anyday. At least he believes the crap he peddles.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And yet he's pretty skillful about exploiting his celebrity: his controversial "outbursts" seem to happen during the run-up to the release of one of his movies.

He seems to believe that there's no such thing as bad publicity. If he has anything to do with the Sun article, he may find out he's wrong, at least for U.S. audiences.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The Sun article is silly. It says that somebody somewhere said he's Christ-like. So? That's hardly a story. Will they next print an article that my gay friend thinks Madonna is just divine?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Has anyone told him waterskiing is not walking on water?