"This poor youngling. . ."

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Oh. That woe. I had it briefly confused with this other woe. Any person of nuance and sambree would have perceived the difference, yet I did not.

I am sorry.

But, Jny . . . Woe am not me, for the subject in any linked comparative is the first mentioned. "I am woe" are fine, though less pleasing than their converse.

Likewise, you should complete any elliptical comparatives with the same pronoun it would have if complete:

He had more woe than I.

We towed less woe than they.

She showboated less grandly than he.

I don't care if it sounds wrong. Take that up with your friends.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Strictly speaking, an object cannot stand in reflexive relation to a person. If the woe had independent existence, not to mention multiple personalities, then it may not appear in the sentence at all.

The correct formulation is: Woeful am I.

However, we may tow less woe than they without contradiction.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Jnyusa wrote:Strictly speaking, an object cannot stand in reflexive relation to a person. Jn

This sounds like a personal problem. Good thing we're discussing personal pronouns.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I think "A Woe with an Independent Existance" would be a great title for a book.

Just sayin'.

:)
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

THE WOE WITHOUT

by Anthriel Morningstar

In the Romance section of your local bookstore soon . . . and forever.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Hey! :x What's wrong with romances, eh?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I think "A Woe with an Independent Existance" would be a great title for a book.
Hmmm... Might steal that some day.
Why is the duck billed platypus?