The Lion Lying Down With the Lamb

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

The Lion Lying Down With the Lamb

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Some may have noticed the new Avatar picture that I have for the past couple of weeks. In case I change it, I'll post here:

I really love this image (and not just because it goes so well with the decor of the site ;)). It may seem strange that I -- a non-Christian -- would use an image that I think most would agree has overtly Christian connotations (although actually if I understand correctly, there is no statement in the bible that actually mentions a lion lying down with a lamb, perhaps someone more familiar with scriptures can clarify). But this image (together with the text in my signature, about which I will say more later), really does a good job of representing my spiritual beliefs.

Obviously, the overt message of this imagery is one of peace and love. It is symbol of even the most natural enemies getting along with each other. A very, very dear friend said to me:
That image is all about peace and acceptance and the power of love; doesn't surprise me a bit that you would be drawn to it.
I thought that that was one of the best compliments that I have ever gotten, and very accurate in describing what that image says to me.

But there is another element to it. Obviously, under normal conditions, that lamb is going to be lamb chops for that big cat. Only divine intervention would overcome those natural predatory instincts (not to mention the lambs natural instinct to flee). One of the things that I love about that picture is the calm expression that both animals share as they gaze at ... what? The divine Light?

As many of you know, I have never been an adherent of any organized religion. But I have increasingly felt the divine presence in my life as I have grown older. And that is what that image really talks to me about. But what is that divine presence?

At the same time that I selected that image as my avatar, I added a quote as my signature text from a song by a young Reggae singer named Luciano (a very spiritual man who begins each of his concerts with a reading from the Bible and who talks as much about Jesus Christ as he does about Halie Selassie) called "Your World and Mine". At the time, I didn't really consciously understand the connection between the image and the words, but later it became obvious. Again, in case I change it, here are the words:
Imagine, if everyone could give,
As much they like to get.
And imagine, if everyone could learn,
To show each other respect.
Oh what a wonderful world it would be:
A world for you and me.
Where even the blind can see,
and a deaf man can hear.
And we can do it if we only agree;
Yes, we can do it if we only agree:
Its your world and mine.
The connection is in the words "Where even the blind can see, and a deaf man can hear." How is the blind going to see, or a deaf man going to hear? Obviously, the only answer again is divine intervention. But the words say that WE can make this wonderful world where these miracles can happen, if we only learn to respect each other, to give as much as we want to get, to agree to share the world. So now we come to the crux of it. I believe that the Love in our hearts that allows us to do these things is the presence of God (Yahweh, Allah, Oludamare, Rastafari) in our souls. And that the more we nurture this Love, the more we learn to show each other respect, the more we give as much as we would like to get, the greater the divine presence becomes, so that even miracles become possible, and all of our differences in race and religion and politics will fall away to nothing.

We can do it if we only agree.

That is my religion.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The wolf shall live with the lamb,
the leopard shall lie down with the kid,
the calf and the lion and the fatling together,
and a little child shall lead them.
The cow and the bear shall graze,
their young shall lie down together;
and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
The nursing child shall play over the hole of the asp,
and the weanedf child shall put its hand on the adder's den.
They will not hurt or destroy
on all my holy mountain;
for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD
as the waters cover the sea.

(Isaiah 11:6–9, NRSV)
It is not a specifically Christian image, but it's a powerful one—even if most people remember something that isn't there in the text.

Those lyrics by Luciano are very moving. They may also refer to Isaiah (35:5).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Prim. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Is this what happens at the end of the world? Is that what's being described?
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm no Old Testament scholar (as in, utterly not), but Isaiah Chapter 11 is generally interpreted by Christians as a prophecy of the (first) coming of Christ: "A shoot shall come out of the stump of Jesse. . . ." Of course verses from Isaiah come up all the time in hymns and, say, Handel's Messiah.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I must admit to feeling nervous for the poor unsuspecting lamb every time I see your picture, Voronwë ;).

But, no, seriously - you are right. The most important thing in the world (isn't a thing, but anyway) is Love.

Love is the ultimate in transcendant and in the divine. So...if you can understand Love, then you can understand God and Miracles.

I'm jealous of you for getting it figured out :P.

That passage from Isaiah is a description of the Kingdom of God. I suppose it has both Messianic and Apocolyptic overtones, but then...I'm not a Biblical scholar, either ;).

The "lion lying down with the lamb" is the ultimate symbol for peace. Peace on Earth - the kind that doesn't just mean we stop shooting each other, but that all of nature is in perfect harmony (us included). It is a very powerful image, and so utterly foreign to anything we know.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Chesterton wrote:"The real problem is - Can the lion lay down with the lamb and still retain his royal ferocity? That is the problem the Church attempted; that is the miracle she achieved."
Woody Allen wrote:"And the lion shall lie down with the lamb.....but the lamb won't get much sleep!"

Martin Luther King, in his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech wrote:I refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of thermonuclear destruction. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant. I believe that even amid today's motor bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow. I believe that wounded justice, lying prostrate on the blood-flowing streets of our nations, can be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men. I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down men other-centered can build up. I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed, and nonviolent redemptive good will proclaim the rule of the land. "And the lion and the lamb shall lie down together and every man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree and none shall be afraid." I still believe that We Shall overcome!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Wow.

narya, thank you for sharing that quote from Dr. King. I have tears in my eyes.

Thank you, Voronwë, for starting this thread. I can feel the peace and hope from that image every time I see it.

:hug:
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, thank you, Narya. That quote says it all!

And thank you, Anthriel.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

If you are looking for a label for what you believe, you might consider Moralistic Therapeutic Deism. But then, if you are anything like me, you don't want a label ;).
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually, I already have a good label.

I'm a Trancendentalist. :P
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

What? You are no longer a Maverick and a Danger to Us All?
Voronwë the Faithful

That too. :D

In all seriousness, many people would consider the views I express in this thread to make me exactly that. Hence Dr. King's fate. :(
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The quote "the lion shall lay down with the lamb" comes from the hymn "Peace In the Valley":

Well the bear will be gentle
And the wolf will be tame
And the lion shall lay down by the lamb
And the beasts from the wild shall be led by a child
And I'll be changed from this creature that I am

I bought Mrs. Whistler a large sculpture of the lion and the lamb for her last birthday, and it's resting now in front of the fireplace.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Whistler.
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Post by Angbasdil »

The lion shall lay down with the lamb...

...and the monkey shall wash the cat.

while I understand what your pic says about you, I'm not really sure what mine says about me.

not sure I wanna know either.

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Actually, I already have a good label.

I'm a Trancendentalist. :P
Image Seems I've heard that about you somewhere before.