What does it feel like to worship?

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm thinking anyone with an "N" would have an much easier time than someone with an "S" and I suspect those with "F"s experience this sort of thing easier than "T"s would... but I'm just guessing. It would be interesting to see a study, though. :)

edit: Lurker, I've found that pain doesn't hurt as much if you aren't upset about it, or scared.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I think it would also depend on how culturally specific the study was, Maria. For instance, in most of the culture in the US, a "T" is somewhat expected to behave a certain way. Admitting to "feelign" anything can sometimes be very difficult.

I'm smack dab in the middle between "F" and "T" so I have a bit of an interesting perspective on that.

Around the world, though, there are different expected behaviors... and people may or may not be more free with how they feel, as well as being more or less open to opennign themselves to what worship provides...
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Could well be, Maria! I'm an INFP.

Here's what one of the MB websites has to say about this type:
Highy creative, artistic and spiritual, they can produce wonderful works of art, music and literature. INFPs are natural artists. They will find great satisfaction if they encourage and develop their artistic abilities. That doesn't mean that an INFP has to be a famous writer or painter in order to be content. Simply the act of "creating" will be a fulfilling source of renewal and refreshment to the INFP. An INFP should allow himself or herself some artistic outlet, because it will add enrichment and positive energy to their life.

They're more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with their soul than others. Most INFPs have strong Faith. Those that don't may feel as if they're missing something important. An INFP should nourish their faith.

Did I mention I used to lead worship for a Bible study I attended? :)
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I took the Myers-Brigg at age 22, and came out ESTP.
I took it again at age 25, and came out ENTP.

I know that the middle two letters aren't supposed to change - they just did! There is no way I would ever come out as an F - I don't care how people feel, just tell me the right answer ;). One thing that changed in between was that up to age 22, I was trained as an engineer, and after that time, I was trained (and worked as) a teacher. Very few teachers are ST....

It always amuses me how many people on messageboards are introverts, though I guess I should expect that.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Yeah, you extroverts amuse us, too. :P
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

no kidding... makes it easier to have conversations, though... we can just sit there ;)

I'm an IN**. And I'm not kidding... I'm right down the middle between F/T and J/P
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Anthriel wrote:Yeah, you extroverts amuse us, too. :P
I could sit quietly and watch them for hours.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I guess I’m something of an exception - an INFP, with a very strong faith background and upbringing who rarely experiences the spiritual connection during religious worship. Many other times I do - it’s very easy for me to simply close my eyes and be in a meditative state, so in that sense I do have a strong spiritual awareness, but for some reason I just don’t feel it in relation to religion. I wonder sometimes if my upbringing doesn’t have something to do with that - because it was such a common part of my childhood I have a familiarity with it that precludes that sense of connection some people feel.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Would anyone be surprised if I said that the most spiritual moments that I experience are when I play drums?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Drums are involved in some of the more imminent moments I've had too, either playing or listening/dancing. So are fires and staring therein..or the ocean, for that matter. Certain things come in under one's defenses. :D
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Sunsilver wrote:I'm an INFP.

Here's what one of the MB websites has to say about this type:
Highy creative, artistic and spiritual, they can produce wonderful works of art, music and literature. INFPs are natural artists. They will find great satisfaction if they encourage and develop their artistic abilities. That doesn't mean that an INFP has to be a famous writer or painter in order to be content. Simply the act of "creating" will be a fulfilling source of renewal and refreshment to the INFP. An INFP should allow himself or herself some artistic outlet, because it will add enrichment and positive energy to their life.

They're more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with their soul than others. Most INFPs have strong Faith. Those that don't may feel as if they're missing something important. An INFP should nourish their faith.
I'm INFP also, and this describes me perfectly. If I can't be creating something -- whether with music, words or even doodles -- I quickly become cranky and stale. And being in touch with my soul has felt natural from a very young age.

Tinwë, I don't think spiritual awareness necessarily means that organized religious worship is meaningful all or any of the time. Especially if you have been around the "inner workings" -- which you certainly were as a child -- the wonder of it would be harder to sense. When I have led contemplative services, or even was heavily involved in the planning of them, they were always less personally involving (although still meaningful because it was a gift to others).

Voronwë, I for one am not surprised in the least that playing drums can be a spiritual experience. It is an act of creation that flows from the rhythm of the earth. Sometimes when I hear drums it is like hearing the heartbeat of God.

Ax, firelight -- from bonfires or candles -- has always had the magic to pull me both into and out of myself if that makes sense (probably not). :)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Would anyone be surprised if I said that the most spiritual moments that I experience are when I play drums?
No way! In fact I'd be surprised if you didn't feel that way when you play :D :love: Music is an awesome way to feel spiritual :).
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I've just been trying to figure out what the word "worship", as defined as some type of feeling, might mean.

Most of the answers I see here are about feeling spiritual, which I can closely relate to... it's happened to me many, many times, but almost never when I have planned or desired to feel that way. "Worship" sounds so very active, doesn't it? As in, I'm off to worship, now?

The times I have felt the power of the Power always seem to surprise me, and almost ALWAYS happen outside. Churches are beautiful, and I can definitely feel peaceful there, but the times I have felt gobsmacked with God are always in the presence of HIS creation... and the less fiddlin' with that creation by people that I can detect, the more overwhelming the experience is.

It happens a lot when I'm around horses. :)
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The times I have felt the power of the Power always seem to surprise me, and almost ALWAYS happen outside. Churches are beautiful, and I can definitely feel peaceful there, but the times I have felt gobsmacked with God are always in the presence of HIS creation... and the less fiddlin' with that creation by people that I can detect, the more overwhelming the experience is.
:love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:

Yes, me too! Muir Wood is the one place where I feel the Presence more than anywhere else. There is peace there that cannot be found elsewhere. This experience is quite different from that of communal worship, though. Both are uplifting, in different ways.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Yes, but it does beg the question of what it is that distinguishes Worship specifically from other forms of spiritual awareness. Webster’s defines worship thusly:

Main Entry: worship
Function: verb
1 : to honor or reverence as a divine being or supernatural power
2 : to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion <a celebrity worshipped by her fans>
intransitive verb : to perform or take part in worship or an act of worship
synonym see REVERE

There are certainly times, especially when I am outside in the beauty of creation, that I feel reverence towards the source of that creation - specifically a sense of honor for some power greater than myself, and I believe that is what is meant by “worship”. But mostly the feeling I get when I am in that meditative mode is not one of reverence or honor, per se, but more of an inward focus, a powerful feeling of being simultaneously removed from and yet connected to the world around me. It is not “worship” in my mind because it is not directed at some other power, it is simply a state of being. And that is what I think most of the people in this thread are talking about.

Worship is specifically honoring a divine being. That is the thing I have a hard time doing.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

tinwë wrote:. But mostly the feeling I get when I am in that meditative mode is not one of reverence or honor, per se, but more of an inward focus, a powerful feeling of being simultaneously removed from and yet connected to the world around me. It is not “worship” in my mind because it is not directed at some other power, it is simply a state of being. And that is what I think most of the people in this thread are talking about.

Worship is specifically honoring a divine being. That is the thing I have a hard time doing.
You have pretty much described what Quakers do during silent Meeting. They wait for the Divine to speak, if It so chooses. There is no specific, formal honoring of a Divine being as such - there is merely waiting.

By the way, I am enjoying reading this thread...I have not commented thus far simply because it is an intensely personal topic for me and I am having difficulty putting things into words. :)
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"It is simply a state of being."

Tinwë has it, for me.

It is a recognition of what is. As it says in the Bible, "Here I am, Lord." And there God is. It's a recognition of the real, and so . . . restful. Yes, it's "honoring a divine being," but it's simply, lovingly, happily, being in the presence of that being. It is being at rest, in the safest place in the universe. It is being at home.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Primula Baggins wrote:Yes, it's "honoring a divine being," but it's simply, lovingly, happily, being in the presence of that being. It is being at rest, in the safest place in the universe. It is being at home.
Yes!

It is connection with a presence that is utterly beyond and utterly within. I see it as recognition of what is already here, rather than calling upon a distant deity. God is near.

At one point I sat alone in Muir Woods, resting, my eyes closed and my heart weary. Warmth touched my face. I let it soak into my awareness, then slowly opened my eyes and saw the most wonderful light pouring through the trees. I felt surrounded by holiness, and I could only respond with gratitude.

That is what worship is for me. Awareness. Opening. Gratitude.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Does anyone think "worship" is this? :bow: :bow: :bow:

Or is that just a mechanical aid to getting into the right frame of mind?