The Devil

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
halplm
hooked

The Devil

Post by halplm »

Thoughts, opinions? Is he active in the world? Are people bad enough on their own? What's his goals, or is he even there?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Hal, we tend to discourage these poll-like "What do you think?" threads and prefer that the thread starter begin by making the case for his own opinion, after which others are invited to comment.

Since we already know that you have a strong opinion on this matter, it would be better to state it outright and get the conversation off to a rolling start. Otherwise people tend to feel that you're setting them up for something, and that actually makes them less likely to post.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Oh.
My.
Flipping.
Nora.

:help:

Well, whatever Satan, or 'the satan', or 'the accuser', may be, I don't believe he or it is a power equal to God. Cuz that's dualism, and Christians aren't dualists. They believe that God is sovereign and that the evil power in the universe is a fallen power, but it's not a power equal to God.

Here's where I turn to Tolkien, because I so like his philosophical take on evil, i.e. evil, however potent it is, is merely the absence of good. I'm thinking of that powerful quote from Frodo when he says to Sam that the Dark Lord cannot create anything of his own, he can only take what is good and corrupt it.

Simple but brilliant. And profoundly Augustinian. 8)

Hama used to post about Tolkien's Boethian view of evil. :love:

Do I think there are dark powers at work in our world, Hal? - actually, yes, I do. Some of them are external, some of them internal.

Do I believe their existence robs us of personal responsibility and accountability? - Heck, no.

Is that the sort of answer you were looking for? :help:

PS. Have you ever read CS Lewis's cosmic trilogy? :) Yes, it is a pertinent question. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Whistler wrote:Otherwise people tend to feel that you're setting them up for something, and that actually makes them less likely to post.
Really? :scratch:

*looks at his currently-17-page Hell thread*

What makes you say that?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The devil made me do it.
Last edited by Whistler on Wed May 03, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Boys, boys. :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Whistler wrote:Hal, we tend to discourage these poll-like "What do you think?" threads and prefer that the thread starter begin by making the case for his own opinion, after which others are invited to comment.
Thank you for saying this, Whistler. This is true. It helps to set a foundation for the discussion, which I think not only encourages discourse but also helps avoid misunderstanding down the road.

Obviously, its not a 'policy' that we are going to try to 'enforce' but we request that people be mindful of this general principle. Usually, when people are interested enough in a particular subject to start a thread about it, they have some thoughts about it. At the very least, it is courteous to share at least some of those thoughts when starting a thread, and it certainly helps to get the discussion going. :)

That having all been said, my personal view of "the devil" is rooted in the Book of Job. Satan, you will recall, has to ask God's permission to do all those bad things to Job. It is my believe that everything has its ultimate source in God - both Good and Evil. I believe further that the one can not exist without the other. That is the role that "the Devil" plays, for without him, there could be no Good in the world
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

What we do is our own responsibility. Blaming evil on a mythological figure is just a way of saying that bad things are not our own fault. Moreover it easily slips into demonology with exorcisms and accusing people of being possessed and using that as an excuse to mistreat them.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's not at all certain that the bar-bet buddy described in Job is at all related to the shadowy figure Jesus is tempted by, or the serpent in the Eden story. The devil lacks a cohesive narrative in scripture, and in its absence, numerous narratives have been created for him...Dante and Milton being the most obvious literary examples.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

I don't believe in god, so there is no reason for me to believe in a devil. My opinion on the matter is closer to tosh's. I don't see good and evil as two actual forces in this universe. They are man-made creations to describe our motivations for actions. The universe itself is neutral.

Does the devil have a pitchfork and make you do evil things? No, you do those all on your own, but then ascribe them to the devil to justify your actions.

Lucifer was the angel who question god's authority. The only reason lucifer is considered evil is because god is considered good. I see no reason to believe that god is good to begin with.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Voronwë: It is my believe that everything has its ultimate source in God - both Good and Evil. I believe further that the one can not exist without the other.

I don't think Good needs Evil to exist, unless you look at it from a practical standpoint. What I mean by that is I think Free Will is a part of Good, and Evil for all practical purposes will result from Free Will. But, to badly steal a phrase of dirtnap's from another thread, I don't think Evil is part of the ground of existence. What is the ground of existence? At this moment it's whatever you understand that metaphor to mean.

TheED: I don't see good and evil as two actual forces in this universe.

I agree, if by a force we mean something that causes good or bad events to happen in ordinary life. But I see Good as a force in, well, a spiritual sense. To change a person's perspective, which is a lame way of putting it.

I'm not sure how to explain this for the moment.

Di: Yes, I've read Lewis's cosmic trilogy, though I always heard it called the space trilogy.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

That Calvin and Hobbes cartoon speaks my mind on the matter!

People do some entirely terrible things. Devil not necessary. On the other hand, they can also be heartbreakingly kind.

"There was a little girl
who had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead.
And when she was good,
she was very very good,
but when she was bad, she was horrid!"

That's People, I'm afraid! :D
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

TED--

But then, if you don't believe in God, the question of goodness is somewhat moot, is it not? ;)

Speaking as someone who once was Christian, back in my believing days I had trouble reconciling the notion of a omniscient and supreme being with a hierarchy of other spiritual beings, whether in his service or fallen from it. It smacked of humanity imposing its own (now archaic) social structure on the divine, or of external pantheistic influences. Why would an omniscient being need helpers, messengers, et al? It seemed like an unnecessary complication, and one that invited doubt. If God needed something done, there was nothing, by definition, that God could not do directly.

So why use angels to do things? Because he was busy? How can an ominpotoent being be busy? Because humans couldn't handle direct contact with the divine? There were accounts where they clearly DID, without intermediaries. Angels were clearly superfluous, they felt like an echo of animism...and yet there they were in scripture.

spelling edit
Last edited by axordil on Wed May 03, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

But then, if you don't believe in God, the question of goodness is somewhat moot, is it not?
:pccrash: :rage:

Touche. :P
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I much prefer religions that deny the existance of a Devil and/or Hell. Everything is just nicer that way.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

:shock:
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I believe names like god and the devil are just that. Names.
I believe we can't conceive many of the mysteries in this universe, and give them names and attributes to satisfy our ignorance.
We are ill equipped to understand such things.

To once again quote Douglas Adams;
"The simple truth is that interstellar distances will not fit into the human imagination."

So too will entities like the devil and God fit poorly.
We have instincts and can sense good and bad in relation to our well being, but to even begin to understand that which is beyond our earthly reach is futile.

Boy have I been crabby lately. So pessimistic and cynical. :roll:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
The Watcher

Post by The Watcher »

Holbytla wrote:I believe names like god and the devil are just that. Names.
I believe we can't conceive many of the mysteries in this universe, and give them names and attributes to satisfy our ignorance.
We are ill equipped to understand such things.

To once again quote Douglas Adams;
"The simple truth is that interstellar distances will not fit into the human imagination."

So too will entities like the devil and God fit poorly.
We have instincts and can sense good and bad in relation to our well being, but to even begin to understand that which is beyond our earthly reach is futile.

Boy have I been crabby lately. So pessimistic and cynical. :roll:
I don't see it. I would post something much in the same general train of thought and mean it most sincerely. :)

But, in my case, I truly do not believe that there is any "incarnate" form of evil itself. There certainly is an awareness of evil, but I think it comes from ourselves. :(