Apologies

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Cerin

Re: Apologies

Post by Cerin »

Thanks, yov! How does one gain a greater facility interpreting the types, as you, Lalaith and Anthy have demonstrated? Is that simply a result of thinking in those terms over time, and applying the concepts repeatedly to particular situations?

When I used 'nice', I was thinking in terms of empathy and considerateness, which do seem to be traits more common to some types than others. (So what letters would you give to Jewel?).

Alatar, maybe it would seem less offensive to you (based on what you were saying in the other thread), if you saw it as a system of sorting individual elements of human functionality into useful sets for application, rather than as a system of sorting people of infinite variability into a few basic types. We're sorting, say, a big pile of clothes. There are shoes, sandals, pants, skirts, shirts, sweaters, belts and hats. Each infinitely variable, uncategorizable individual here gets four wardrobe elements. Seeing the various styles of dress that result is kind of fun, and tells a bit about the personality of the wearer. I imagine your outfit would be rather jaunty, where mine would be quite utilitarian, and Nin's would be elegant and made from sustainable fibers. :D
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote:Thanks, yov! How does one gain a greater facility interpreting the types, as you, Lalaith and Anthy have demonstrated? Is that simply a result of thinking in those terms over time, and applying the concepts repeatedly to particular situations?
I mostly just read about it a good deal. I bought a pretty good book on it too.
Cerin wrote:When I used 'nice', I was thinking in terms of empathy and considerateness, which do seem to be traits more common to some types than others.
I think that's a misconception really. INTs in particular are often seen as "cold" but they can be as caring and empathetic as anybody else. They may just not be as natural as others at expressing that effectively but some manage to learn.
Cerin wrote:(So what letters would you give to Jewel?).
I'd say ISTP.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Not me at all. As I said, when I read the descriptors for the INFJ, they fit me perfectly...and most people who know me say the same.

Obviously by posting style is only one facet of who I am. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Jewel, you do seem more like a P than a J. :D

On the other letters, I couldn't hazard a guess based on your posting style.

yov, my library has seven titles on Myers-Briggs. What is the title of the book you liked?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Last edited by yovargas on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yovargas wrote:Here's what I read:
thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3644&start=60
That seems to be the url for this page. :scratch:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

No it's not. :whistle:
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

:D

Love you guys!
Voronwë the Faithful

Cerin, if you really want to waste some time reading, here are a couple of the previous threads at b77 and Manwë where people talk about their results (interestingly, both started by Lord M):

By popular demand: The MBTI (board77)

The Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator (Manwë)

And a couple of more recent threads here that touch on MBTI issues:

Dating and the MBTI

F/T Interactions and other MBTI issues

The Issue With Introverts

And one that you participated in, quite a while ago, that touches both on MBTI issues and apology issues:

Gender Generalizations
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Thank you, Voronwë!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

yovargas wrote:How dare you, I am always the best judge! Of all the things! :rage:
Typical INTJ. :P

Jewel, I could see you as an INFJ. I think your J is quite strong, actually. At first, I might have thought you were an S, but ISFJ doesn't seem to fit you very well. So what about ENFJ? You know whether you're an E or an I, though, and I do find that hard to judge* on a messageboard. Is your I strong or are you closer to the E end of things?

Like yovi, I've read quite a bit about this, and then I've studied the people around me. I'm always trying to figure people out. Why do they act or react in certain ways? Why do I? The MBTI stuff truly helps me get some of it sorted; like I said previously, however, people are people and won't neatly stay in little boxes. I'm okay with that. I just like to have a general idea of which box a person is most likely going to be in.

Frelga, I know we've had this discussion on astrology before. I do not believe in it, but I have to say that when I see the Scorpio pins on Pinterest I cannot help but notice how accurate they tend to be for me. It's weird. (And they're not super vague or anything.) Yet, that just can't be right. Freddy and I are both Scorpios, but our personalities are polar opposites (INTP and ESFJ)!

*Actually, the fact that we all post on a messageboard means, in my experience, that we are more likely to be introverts. The extroverts I know have little patience for this mode of communication and fellowship. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It probably doesn't fuel an extrovert the way face-to-face interaction does. But for introverts, at least introverts who express themselves well in writing, this is a wonderful way to get interpersonal interaction (and, often, intelligent conversation on issues of the time) into one's day without having to put on uncomfortable shoes and drive somewhere. :shock:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Lalaith wrote:*Actually, the fact that we all post on a messageboard means, in my experience, that we are more likely to be introverts. The extroverts I know have little patience for this mode of communication and fellowship. :D
Hence the "The Issue With Introverts" thread I posted above
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

(Was that a subtle admonition to take the discussion there? :oops: )
Voronwë the Faithful

Not at all.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:whew: Okay, good! I was feeling like maybe others would prefer for us to discuss this in another thread, but I never know when to break it off. I like the discussions to evolve naturally and go from there.

:hug:
Voronwë the Faithful

As long as Cerin is okay with it (and she seems to be), I am fine with keeping the extended discussion here. I think the seeming osgiliation into MBTI types is relevant to the original topic in that it helps to explain why different people have different attitudes towards apologizing.

At least that is my story, and I am sticking to it.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Lalaith wrote:
yovargas wrote:How dare you, I am always the best judge! Of all the things! :rage:
Typical INTJ. :P
I was going to say that!! :rage: 8)

I've often been reminded of the range of people who fit into a type, because Jewel and I test as the same type, and I think it fits me to a T, and she thinks it fits her just right, and yet I'm pretty sure (at least in her posting persona) Jewel and I are nothing alike. :) Maybe, as in a horoscope, the phrases that seem to resonate with us stand out, and we gloss over the things which don't? Sort of salad bar behavior? Pick what you like? I dunno.

Cerin, do you think it might be a bit challenging for an INTJ (that would be you) to interact with an INFJ (which would possibly be your sister)? My brother and my father are both INTJs, and I am an INFJ, and we get along fine. (They are both engineers, btw... typical!) The commonality of "IN" serves us well, I think. We three all live in our heads and think that's just fine. Poor mom is an ESFJ. I think she feels a little outnumbered, but as the typical E (or should I say EEEEEEEEEEeeeee!!) she holds her own quite well. :P

And I HATE being a Pisces. :rage:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

BTW, Cerin, thank you for starting this thread! This has been very interesting, and kinda fun. :D
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”