"O wad some power the giftie gie us . . ."

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
vison
Best friends forever

"O wad some power the giftie gie us . . ."

Post by vison »

Robert Burns wrote:O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
Today is Burns' Day and it struck me that on a message board devoted to the refined and lofty-minded Oxford don, a visit from a coarse, worldly, roughcut diamond like Burns would be a good idea.

I was brought up to revere Burns. I memorized his poems because Grandpa would give me a dollar if I could recite one - and when I was a kid a dollar was a lot of money. (Sorry, codgerette gland kicking in there . . .) Although my paternal grandparents were Scotch (my grandpa never said Scottish), they didn't talk like Burns wrote, or not every much. So Grandpa would explain what all the odd words meant, and some of that knowledge has stuck with me.

But what has stuck with me a lot more is the story of Burns' short and tragic life. He was known as the Ayrshire Ploughman,and when I was a kid I used to think that just meant he, you know, ploughed fields riding a plough behind a team of horses. Now I know what a ploughman had to do in his day, and why he was stooped and crippled from those years of hard labour, and how it killed him young. A hard life, and the "best medical care" of his era.

He enjoyed great success in the salons of Edinburgh, which city was quite the centre for intellectual fire in the late 18th century. He was very handsome, and witty, and able to hold his own in "society". But he was never comfortable with it all, and knew he was often regarded "by his betters" as a trained pig, amazing for being able to do anything clever at all. He was famous for womanizing, too, although his womanizing was not so extensive as people might imagine nowadays. In the strict and puritanical Scotland of his time, his love affairs were terrible scandals and he was censured and lectured and humiliated over them. Still, his love poems are still lovely, and have been made into beautiful songs that I heard all my growing up years.

At any rate, what I was thinking about when I started this thread was a sign I saw on a church yesterday, "What others think of you is none of your business". Now, these church signs often baffle me, they might as well be written in Sanskrit for all I get out of them, they are messages from a world I never entered. This sign puzzled me more than common and I made up my mind to see what Halofirians thought of it.

On the one hand, this church sign says, "What others think of you is none of your business" and Robert Burns says, "O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us".

Burns' line is from "To a Louse", which is his own "take off" on his immortal "To a Mouse", one of my very favourite poems. "Wee, sleekit cow'rin' tim'rous beastie" it starts, and my little girl's heart just broke for the poor wee thing. It ends with:
Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!
Which breaks my heart now.

To A Louse is different, not so sentimental nor philosophical, but it's just as good as poetry, in the end.

I don't know that I want Some Power to gie me the giftie of knowing what others think of me, but I'm not so sure that it's none of my business. What say you?
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It depends on what you do with the knowledge, I think.

If you let other people's opinions, or the fear of them, limit you from doing what is right, or doing the work you feel called to do, then that's bad.

But if you ignore other people's opinions and go ahead and start that meth lab or gamble all your money away, that's bad too.

I guess I'd need to know one thing: Whose opinions are they?

Are they wise and sensible people who offer their opinions because they care about me? They can still be wrong, but they certainly deserve to be listened to thoughtfully.

Or are they people who want me to join in with, or at least approve, behavior on their part that I think is wrong/dangerous/wasting their gifts? Then they probably are wrong and are best ignored.

What people often seem to be reacting to is what they assume other people think. If it's important, maybe it makes sense to ask and find out what they really do think. Doesn't always match.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

One of the best 30 mins of TV comedy ever. Tony Hancock in "The Blood Donor" (1961). He hadn't remembered his lines and was reading everything off cue-cards, apparently. Still, one of THE best. Look out for a young June Whitfield as the nurse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLO9PXZcfQ4

The Scottish bit is 3 mins into Part 2.
It's about time.