The nature of your deity

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Maria wrote:Only as a last resort should one such as I take medication, because something about my body chemistry is unusual and I ALWAYS get the weird, nearly unknown side effects.
I'm not arguing for over-dependence on medication, Maria. ;)
Medications just are not the answer for some people.
In the case of really serious illnesses, though, surely they apply. I would humbly submit that cancer is not cured through energy healing.
I'm not a standard issue human.
I don't think any of us are. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I find I feel like someone whose wiring made her long for faith -- but also made it almost impossible actually to "believe" things in particular. Don't know whether the laughing or crying icon is more appropriate here!
When one suspects one is missing something others have, it's hard not to feel left out, even if one also suspects one simply can't have it. I have partaken of what you describe, and the last twenty years of my life have been a journey towards acceptance, as opposed to the laughing and crying. Those didn't change anything for me. ;)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

nerdanel wrote:What I took from Lidless' post is that prejudice against left-handed people and use of the left hand extends throughout history and across cultures, with religion sometimes but not always complicit in the practice. I see no evidence of Western superiority in a post that implicates far more Western groups in this sort of ignorant prejudice than it does non-Western groups.
Yes, but those statements were specifically placed in the past.
lidless wrote:Centuries ago, the Catholic Church declared left-handed people to be servants of the Devil. For generations, left-handers who attended Catholic schools were forced to become right-handed.
Whereas the statement about the Guinea coast is not placed in the past, and in fact is universalized to the entire population.
lidless wrote: Natives on the Guinea coast never touch their left thumbs to their beer mugs, in the belief that it would poison the beverage.
I feel sure that Lidless did not intend to imply that everyone on the Guinea coast believes this, but I can certainly see how it could be read this way, especially by someone who knows that area.

What I don't quite see is what superstitions about left-handedness have to do with our conception of God. :scratch:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

People were still forced to use their right hands in some schools around my home in my lifetime. It's not quite past.

The linguistic effects are also not so much past as subtle and ongoing.

I actually see a deep connection between the discussions, for what it's worth, but I'm like that. :twisted:
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:

Having just the spent the weekend with a "native" from the Guinea coast visiting us who happens to be the most impressive human being that I have ever had the pleasure to know, I will assume that your comments were not actually meant to be as deeply offensive as I found them.
Voronwë, what I see here is that you took responsibility for your feelings. You didn't say that the comment was offensive, but that you found it offensive (and explained the basis for that). And you made a point of saying that you assumed the comment wasn't meant to be offensive, so that it would not be seen as an accusation. You were clearly identifying your reaction as a product of personal feelings, not as an inevitable reaction to something innately offensive.

I agree with everyone else that you were mistaken about what you interpreted from the comment, regarding Western superiority, but I think the important thing is that you owned your reaction rather than trying to make it someone else's responsibility, which is so easy to do in these kinds of discussions.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

axordil wrote:
I find I feel like someone whose wiring made her long for faith -- but also made it almost impossible actually to "believe" things in particular. Don't know whether the laughing or crying icon is more appropriate here!
When one suspects one is missing something others have, it's hard not to feel left out, even if one also suspects one simply can't have it. I have partaken of what you describe, and the last twenty years of my life have been a journey towards acceptance, as opposed to the laughing and crying. Those didn't change anything for me. ;)
I think I'm on that same journey. I don't envy the faith that some people have, partially because I tried to convince myself that I had it once long ago. I'm quite content in my atheistic beliefs today. I've heard of the god gene that a noted scientist (Dawkins?) has claimed may be an element of human DNA that predisposes some to religion. This may be part of the neurological elements you mentioned.

OT
I feel sure that Lidless did not intend to imply that everyone on the Guinea coast believes this, but I can certainly see how it could be read this way, especially by someone who knows that area.
The context of the entire post is important. Knowing one individual from a group (different from the others perhaps) does not necessarily negate a generalization of that group. Sometimes it is incumbent on the reader to not read malice or offensiveness into another person's post. It's all part of respecting each other's opinion.

Here is the information presented elsewhere.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: The nature of your deity

Post by Lalaith »

Maria, I don't think you should drop out of the discussion at all. I find your observations interesting and often think your experiences are not all that different than some of mine. Sometimes when I pray for someone (or for myself) for healing (or for some other purpose), I feel that energy you describe.

Anyway, to answer vison's original post...
How do you “see” the god you believe in? Is your god a “being”? If it is, what is the being made of? Molecules and atoms, etc.? Is your god a conscious entity? Does your god hear what you say, or know what you think? Does your god have the power to interfere with the observed laws of the universe? Do you think your god will answer prayers, and if not, why not?
To use an old (but good) word, God is ineffable. That is ultimately what I come to when I try to understand him or describe him. He is a mystery, at his very core.

However, that doesn't mean we can't know anything about him. I do think he's a being. (We are made in his image--either our minds and souls or our bodies or both.)

God does hear what I say and knows what I think. He cares for me as a loving father (not a doting grandpa, or a disinterested or bad father).

I do think he can interfere with natural laws (since I believe he is the ultimate cause of those laws), but I don't think he often does. Even concerning many of the miracles in the Bible, I think he probably chose to control the natural laws rather than alter them.

I do think God answers prayers--rather, I know God answers prayers.

I really do think that I will be surprised, though, by what he's really like when I enter eternity. I know I don't have all of the answers.

Griff, I feel like you were writing about my spiritual journey in your post. :)
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Err...OK...that was weird.
It's about time.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Lidless wrote:Err...OK...that was weird.
Lidless, are you referring to Lalaith's post or something else? Because if it was a response to her ideas about God, it was rather rude.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I'd like to know what Lidless was referring to as well.

I have found, when making responses in a thread, it's best to quote at least a little of what you're responding to - even if you think people will know. Sometimes a post or two shows up in between and it can get confusing.

ETA: TED, the link you posted contains the info Liddy gave in almost the exact same words. Lidless, maybe you should have attributed your quotes to the source instead of posting them as your own words?
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I suspect that Lidless was responding to me. But I agree that it is not clear.

I am going to put my Shirriff hat on to say that cutting and pasting something that someone else has written on the web (or anywhere else) without attributing it to that person is plagiarism and will not be tolerated here.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

Academic rigor? Are you going to withhold his grades? :scratch:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

TED, it's unfair to other posters to present words that aren't yours as if they were. There's nothing prissy about that; it's a pretty commonly understood thing.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

And I think that this very interesting thread has been derailed enough. I would like to hear more of people's thoughts on the topic, as clearly stated by vison!

:)
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'll post tomorrow. I just noticed that it's 4 a.m., an ungodly hour (so to speak) for gathering one's thoughts about one's deity.

That's what I get for trying to write a speech while also keeping track of the boards and Facebook. At least it's done. And so am I. Tomorrow...
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

WampusCat wrote:I just noticed that it's 4 a.m., an ungodly hour (so to speak) for gathering one's thoughts about one's deity.
Oh, I don't know about that! I have some of my most profound thoughts in the week hours of the morning.

And also when in the bathroom. :D Go figure!

I look forward to your post, Wampus!

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I thought it was pretty obvious the left-handed lore was cut and paste. Lidless's writing is usually more colorful.

Off to my blog. This may take a bit, it involves visual aids.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

To get back to the main question regarding 'how you see God' - I suppose that Christians have at least three entities that they might visualize: Father, Son and Holy Ghost/ Spirit.

And the time when visualizing is most likely to occur is during prayer, I would expect.

As I mentioned, I need to make a deliberate effort to visualize, to combat a natural tendency to abstraction, and I find that my visualizations of the Father and Son are entirely conventional - derived from art and the media.

As for visualizing the Holy Ghost I cannot do it! He always comes out invisible - something pervading like magnetism or an aroma...
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Tar-Palantir wrote:And the time when visualizing is most likely to occur is during prayer, I would expect.
Very true. 8)
As I mentioned, I need to make a deliberate effort to visualize, to combat a natural tendency to abstraction, and I find that my visualizations of the Father and Son are entirely conventional - derived from art and the media.
I have no mental image of the Father. Certainly not the unhelpful Blakean archetype of an old man with a white beard, which I am completely allergic to. (Despite my deep love for the Christian tradition in Western art.)

When Jesus said that God was spirit, I tend to believe him. ;)

God the Father to me is a Presence: sometimes mysterious and awesome but also infinitely kind and benevolent. As Lali said, so very well: 'not a doting grandpa, or a disinterested or bad father.' I really like that word 'ineffable'.

I have sometimes experienced a deep peace in the midst of terrible stress, and I definitely attribute that to the presence of God.

Visualising Jesus ... well, there's a rich artistic tradition for us to draw upon, from Russian icons to the Renaissance and beyond, but I prefer above all depictions of Jesus that actually show he was Jewish, since the Church was in denial about that rather key fact for so long. :(

I also like African depictions of Jesus. :) I love the 'Jesus mafa' website (which I think is Catholic):

http://www.jesusmafa.com/anglais/accueil.htm
As for visualizing the Holy Ghost I cannot do it! He always comes out invisible - something pervading like magnetism or an aroma...
He is invisible, though, IMO. ;) I believe that the Holy Spirit is the spiritual force or presence of God.

The Spirit is also linked with the figure of 'sophia', Wisdom, in Proverbs, and the Hebrew word for 'spirit' or 'breath' is ruach, a noun of feminine gender. I do find that immensely interesting. 8)

I am aware that in the Jewish tradition, and certain Protestant traditions, portrayals of God are a big 'no-no'. I completely respect that.

However, I find it helpful, personally, to visualise ... all art is symbolism, but personally, I can find those kinds of symbols helpful, as 'aids'.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Certainly not the unhelpful Blakean archetype of an old man with a white beard, which I am completely allergic to.
Blake thought that archetype problematic too, which is why he only uses it when he's depicting a notion of God he had...issues with. Just sayin'.
--Ax the Blake aficionado