Lent 2009

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:) Sorry, I didn't mean to be frivolous. But since that DID come to my mind, I thought I'd share it.

Then I fretted over whether I'd been frivolous.
:hug:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I think a kingfisher shows up in one of the poems about Tom Bombadil....

For Di -

I stole it from someone else, of course.

Oh, and Lurker....Good Friday would be the one day a year there are no masses ;). But yes, I know what you mean, the Good Friday service....

I tend to enjoy Holy Week more if I keep to real things for Lent. Fasting is very concrete, so easier for me to stick to than some other disciplines. But my self control is very limited, so still requires a lot of effort. Spiritual reading is fun, so it's just a matter of not forgetting. This year is a combination of Psalms and JPII's Theology of the Body. What I'm not so good at is prayer, so I have to make sure I try to get to some daily masses and stations of the cross and such at church. Almsgiving is tricky, so I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to handle that this year.

But basically, more time for prayer = win, so that is my goal. A treadmill features in the plan.....
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Glad to see the button, Mith! :D

Well, my Lenten disciplines are ... erm ... well, I've already broken them. :blackeye: I was going to give up posting on my Live Journal. Yes, I know, a real sacrifice. :roll:

Anyway, I press on. At least I am reading my Lent book. :) I just need to do the praying, now. :(

One of my colleagues lead prayers this morning, she's Dutch and a minister and she's already broken her Lenten disciplines too. So that's OK. She also said that during Lent you can break your Lenten fast on each Sunday of Lent, as a foretaste of Easter, or Resurrection Day. :)

I didn't know that.

Anyway, here's a version of the Covenant Prayer originally written by John Wesley. It's very challenging. But it's good to be challenged.

I am no longer my own, but yours.
Your will, not mine, be done in all things,
Wherever you may place me,
In all that I do and in all that I may endure;
Where there is work for me and when there is none;
When I am troubled and when I am at peace.
Your will be done when I am valued
And when I am disregarded;
When I find fulfilment and when it is lacking;
When I have all things, and when I have nothing.
I willingly offer all I have and am
to serve you as and where you choose.
And now, glorious and blessed God,
You are mine and I am yours. So be it.
And the covenant now made on earth,
Let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

I think this is the original wording:

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Pearl wrote:
...during Lent you can break your Lenten fast on each Sunday of Lent,
Yes, our Rector often mentions that, too!

Did you know this fact about Mothering Sunday (4th Sunday in Lent)
Mothering Sunday was also known as 'Refreshment Sunday' or 'Mid-Lent Sunday'. It was often called Refreshment Sunday because the fasting rules for Lent were relaxed, in honour of the 'Feeding of the Five Thousand', a story in the Christian Bible.
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... others.htm
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Elentári wrote:Did you know this fact about Mothering Sunday (4th Sunday in Lent)
Mothering Sunday was also known as 'Refreshment Sunday' or 'Mid-Lent Sunday'. It was often called Refreshment Sunday because the fasting rules for Lent were relaxed, in honour of the 'Feeding of the Five Thousand', a story in the Christian Bible.
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... others.htm
Cool!

I did know that :), but I forget each year. :blackeye: No reason why I should forget, because my vicar likes to go on about it. He doesn't believe in making the service all about Mother's Day.

Isn't the Woodlands School website just so cute? :) I came across it before when I was researching something on Mothering Sunday.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes, the Woodlands website is great, and very useful for homework... ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

We did our annual Stations of the Cross at 14 different churches at 7:00 am this morning. I was so dissappointed because some of the churches open at 10:00 am. We had to just pray in front of the church since we didn't take the car (part of the sacrifice) and we had the babies with us. We didn't bring strollers either, we had to carry them whenever they get tired walking. It was their first time in a public bus and subway so they liked it. :) The babies were well-behaved eventhough the church was crowded, whenever they see the cross they point and say "Jesus!". I keep saying "Shh!" The church we attend have Stations of the Cross picture books for the kids so they were looking at it.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I think that is wonderful!

I was not able to attend any services today. :( I am planning on spending some reflective time here in a bit, though.