Mormons and Christianity

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
"Taking the stance that it is silly is asinine in the worst sort of way, you insolent pup :roll:."

:D

OOOHHhhhh.

Oh, that's goooood.

Even I, the untutored vistor from foreign fora, can appreciate the crystalline beauty of the sneer behind those words.

The utter arrogance implicit in the cadence of the sentence.

The rather highbrow, and yet clearly disparaging, use of the word "asinine" rather than the beer hall punch of using the word "ass".

:bow:

I feel honored to have taken my first little baby Manweista steps in such august company.

<sniff>
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

truehobbit wrote: (The Catholic church, btw, regards them as a Christian sect.)
No they do not.

This was reaffirmed in 2001, when the Catholic Church through the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith declared that Mormon converts to Catholicism would have to be rebaptized, since Mormon baptisms were not valid.

See the following:

Why Mormon Baptism Is Invalid
Sect´s Concept of the Trinity Differs from Christian Notion

Incidentally, the head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, who has since been elected Pope.

BrianIs :) AtYou
Last edited by BrianIsSmilingAtYou on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Any religion that is truly Christian only needs a belief in Jesus Christ and to follow his teachings to be allowed into Heaven.

Nothing else. No human extras such as Mormons requiring belief in Smith or Catholics requiring last rites and confessionals given by humans.

In fact any religion that insists your relationship with God must be done via "appointed" intermediaries or is one that requires a specific "appointed" teacher or guide to help you is, IMHO, suspect at best. God can't guide seekers himself? He needs help? He needs human helpers to help seekers understand Him?

And that's a very toned down version of my feelings about these religions in particular.

But, hey, I used to be very religious, but for the last 30 years I've been out of the loop. What do I know? Deaf, but hopefully not that dumb.
It's about time.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

That was really interesting to read, Brian! I didn't realize that the Catholic Church actually didn't recognize Baptism performed my Mormons. I did think that any kind of baptism was acceptable.

It was, however, hard for me to follow the difference they perceive in Catholic v. Mormon beliefs about the trinity.
Lidless wrote:In fact any religion that insists your relationship with God must be done via "appointed" intermediaries or is one that requires a specific "appointed" teacher or guide to help you ...
That's interesting that you would put it this way, Lidless. One of the big rifts in Islam, between the Wahabbis and everyone else, is whether there can be mediaries at all, never mind must be mediaries.

The Wahabbi ... denomination ... which is currenty the ultra-conservative branch of Islam, you know, denies that any mediation takes place between Allah and the believer and one should not even call upon Mohammed for guidance, help, etc.

The degrees of monotheism, i.e. the extent to which other 'lesser divinities' like saints or prophets might play a role in the belief system, is a very interesting question, imo.

Kushana was going to instruct us, at one point, about the Zoroastrian foundations of Judaism, which I am eager to hear about, but I think she's working hard on her book right now.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

<dusts this off>
Lidless wrote:Any religion that is truly Christian only needs a belief in Jesus Christ and to follow his teachings to be allowed into Heaven.
Ah, but what is "a belief in Jesus Christ" and what are his teachings?

The Mormons are hardly the only cult that refers to itself as Christian but would not be considered Christian by other, well, Christian churches. But any such discussion gets silly (:D) if you don't define basic terms before begining.

First, cult. Cult merely refers to practices and beliefs, ie, a religion, or part of one. The "cult of the saints" is devotion to the saints within the Catholic faith. Cult, by itself, is a neutral term with no value-judgements attached.

Or at least it was. Now, it is used to refer to destructive practices. So, anytime the word "cult" is used, it usually means "destructive cult." A statement such as "my sister has joined a cult" would be followed up with "and now we can't see her any more," not, "and they're having a barbecue on Saturday; wanna go?"

So, on one level, any church or religious affiliation can be labeled a cult (and so, non-Christian) if the way it opperates is deemed destructive or charlatan. Thus, Jonestown and the Branch Davidians of Waco are seen as cults (by pretty much the whole world). This is regardless of what beliefs inspire such behavior, but usually such cults have a charismatic personality claiming to be God (or Jesus returned) as a leader, so it is generally easy to find theological differences as well.

Some of the classical behavior traits of a cult: the leader is charismatic (this is more incidental, but it's the only way this works); the group works hard to get all the money of its followers; the leader of the group demands sexual rights to the members (or all the women, or something); the group skips town and changes names if there is a scandal; the group seeks to isolate its members, causing them to sever ties to family and friends who are not part of the cult; the group fosters distrust of society and the government, and basically all non-cult-members; the group tries to control its members' lives directly; the group is esoteric (secretive); the group is focused very much on end-times. Obviously, some of these traits are common to any scam, and some may be true of legitimate religions (ie, you could call Billy Graham or JPII charismatic). But if you have most (or all) of these traits, chances are its a cult.

I do not have enough knowledge of the Mormon church to label them a cult on these grounds alone. But there are hundreds of organizations in the US alone that do fall under this description, unfortunately. [And no, I didn't get that from TV ;)] For them, I don't see the need to even get into a theological discussion.

But as far as I know, the only strikes against the Mormons from that list are that they are esoteric, and that their early history definately followed the "skip town" pattern. As I said, I don't think that's enough to condemn the whole group. Fundamentalist Mormons are definately more suspect, because they have charismatic prophets who are interested in sexual control of all the young women in the group (not necessarily for themselves, but still). But the mainstream Mormon church has already said they don't agree with this interpretation of their religion, so I find it reasonable to consider them seperately. FBI-most-wanted-guy is not a representative Mormon!

Okay, theology. This is the part where the voice of the Christian churches is distinguished from the voices of, say, the government, or other observers. The gov't doesn't care what a group believes, they just care what they do about it - ie, if they start sleeping with children or stockpiling guns, that's a problem.

To be a Christian, you must believe in Jesus, as TLE succinctly stated. But...what does that mean?

It can mean a lot of things, but at a very, very, very basic level, it means at least this:
  • A belief in the Trinity: three persons (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), one God.
    A belief in Jesus, fully divine and fully human
    who lived, and died, and rose from the dead
    so that sins may be forgiven (ie, we can go to heaven).
Reems and reems have been written on what that actually means. But groups that do not affirm these basic truths are not Christians, because they would not be able to recite the Apostles' Creed with a straight face and no squirming. It doesn't mean they don't "believe in Jesus" - they very well may. Take anyone here who identifies themselves as a non-Christian. They may say that they believe Jesus was a real person, or that Jesus had a lot of worthwhile things to say (and wouldn't it be nice if Christians would actually listen to him!) You can "believe in Jesus" in a lot of different ways, and that does not necessarily make you a Christian. Muslims believe Jesus was a great prophet (from what I understand), but that doesn't mean they see themselves as Christians!

For these reasons, I think it fair for Christians (as a group) to limit the term "Christian" to those who believe some basic things about Jesus in common with all other Christians. By defining terms (broadly and historically), this allows Christians to call some interpretations heretical, or at the very least "non-Christian." By denying Christians the ability to define the term, the term becomes meaningless. Which, among other things, is not very helpful!

Some groups that are excluded from the label "Christian" using that definition: Unitarians, Unitarian Universalists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and possibly Seventh Day Adventists? (I forget what they believe) Certainly Christian Science and Scientology. Ba'hai.

It would be very unfair to label these groups cults over theological differences, though, because that immediately calls to mind images of people dying in a bunker somewhere. "Non-Christian groups" is sufficient, I would think, unless they really do have the other traits that would make them a destructive cult.

David Koresh said he was a Christian. I say he was wrong. You can accept whatever people self-identify as, but then, what does the word mean?

As for baptism, the Catholic Church accepts all baptisms as, well, baptism (which you only need receive once). To be a baptism: the person performing the baptism must be baptised, water must be used, and the words, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit," must be said (in any language). If someone used something other than water, it wouldn't count, and if you left out the reference to the Trinity, it wouldn't count either. The words of a Mormon baptism are the same, according to Brian's article, but the intention (or meaning of them) is different, so that would be problematic. After all, baptism is not a "formula," but an act of God, so you have to, well, request it of God.