Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

So can you use the wasted time at work planning for the side business? I'm thinking more of brainstorming than doing actual work. Even an employer who's not giving you anything to do might object to that!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Bad news. :( The doctor called today and said Gary's kidney cancer has reappeared in his lungs.

We're in shock. We'll hear about possible treatments on Tuesday, but the odds aren't good from what I've researched.

Please, please pray for us.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Oh, WampusCat, I am SO sorry. :(

What a terrible blow; cancer can be so cruel.

I am praying - for you and for Gary and for strength for you both.

:hug:
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, no! :( Oh, I am so sorry, WampusKitty. . . . I have already started praying for you both. I'm so sorry.

The odds can be beaten, though.

I'm praying for that, and for strength for both of you.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

WampusCat wrote:Bad news. :( The doctor called today and said Gary's kidney cancer has reappeared in his lungs.

We're in shock. We'll hear about possible treatments on Tuesday, but the odds aren't good from what I've researched.

Please, please pray for us.
Wampus, this is terrible. I am so sorry. Not much of a one for prayer, but you and he are in my heart and thoughts. I'll light a candle when I get home - somehow that helps me concentrate.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

that's terrible wumpascat :(

makes my problems seem pretty trivial :)

I'll pray for the two of you. :hug:
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Ethel wrote:Wampus, this is terrible. I am so sorry. Not much of a one for prayer, but you and he are in my heart and thoughts. I'll light a candle when I get home - somehow that helps me concentrate.
Me too...with fervent hopes for what Prim said about the odds being beaten. :hug:
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Oh my God, WampusKitty, I am so sorry to hear that. :cry: I will muster all the good, healing energy that I can and send it to you and Gary. As Prim said, the odds can be beat.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Wampus, oh crap! I'm so sorry to hear that.

:hug: :pray: :hug:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Frelga wrote:Wampus, oh crap!
My reaction exactly.

Thanks, everyone, for the prayers, energies, hopes and thoughts. They really do help me, like the phial of Galadriel, in the dark places.

:grouphug:
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, Wampus, I just saw this -- how far from what we all were hoping. I am so sorry! :hug:

I will join the huddled masses praying for you and Gary. May you have peace and comfort walking with you all the way.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Maybe this is inappropriate. But... I know you are facing the hardest challenge of your life, Wampus. I hope it ends well, but the sad truth is, it might not. It's important not to give up hope, but it's also important to make peace and give a sick person space to do the same. (I have been down this road, recently.) Anyway, I hope it won't make things worse, but I wanted to offer this Navajo prayer:

As I walk, as I walk
The universe is walking with me
In beauty it walks before me
In beauty it walks behind me
In beauty it walks below me
In beauty it walks above me
Beauty is on every side
As I walk, I walk with Beauty.

I like it because Beauty - the connection with the infinite - is always available to us, even in our darkest hours.

Was this offensive? It's hard for me to judge. I certainly don't want to make things more difficult, or to offend against sacred beliefs. If I offended, I am deeply sorry. Just tell me to stay out of this thread and I will. I meant well, but that's no excuse. I would happily delete this post if it offends. Please say honestly.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Oh Wampus. :( That's not the news I was hoping for. I'm so sorry and want to send all the healing thoughts I can toward Gary. I just can't find any words that are appropriate, so I'll just offer hugs and prayers. :hug:

Ethel, that's a lovely prayer.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Ethel, that's not inappropriate or offensive in the least. Thank you for speaking truth. We both know that a positive outcome, while possible, is not likely. That doesn't mean we are giving up hope, just that our hope includes the hope of peace and rightness and comfort even amid loss.

We told our son, who seemed to take it well. Later I found him weeping, but he insisted it was allergies. Broke my heart.

:hug: to Teremia, Ethel and Eruname.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

wampus kitty,

from one kitty cat to another all sorts of loving and healing thoughts being sent your way.

:hug:
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm so sorry, WampusCat! :hug:

Maybe this place could help?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Ethel wrote:Maybe this is inappropriate. But... I know you are facing the hardest challenge of your life, Wampus. I hope it ends well, but the sad truth is, it might not. It's important not to give up hope, but it's also important to make peace and give a sick person space to do the same. (I have been down this road, recently.) Anyway, I hope it won't make things worse, but I wanted to offer this Navajo prayer:

As I walk, as I walk
The universe is walking with me
In beauty it walks before me
In beauty it walks behind me
In beauty it walks below me
In beauty it walks above me
Beauty is on every side
As I walk, I walk with Beauty.

I like it because Beauty - the connection with the infinite - is always available to us, even in our darkest hours.
[
Wise advice, Ethel. Although I am a Christian, and believe in healing and miracles, in my nursing practise, I have yet to see one. I have seen patients get marvellous spells of remission from treatments, but nothing that would qualify as extraordinary or miraculous. I KNOW these things can happen, I know from reading Christian healing literature that they DO happen. It's just that they're rare. So, don't give up hope, but at the same time, prepare yourself for the worst.

And I love Bernie Segal! His approach really makes sense. Even if it doesn't bring a permanent cure, it can bring peace of mind and teach people to live their lives to the fullest right to the very end.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Sunny wrote:And I love Bernie Segal! His approach really makes sense. Even if it doesn't bring a permanent cure, it can bring peace of mind and teach people to live their lives to the fullest right to the very end.
Exactly. :) His books make a lot of sense to me.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

WampusCat, I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. I will be praying for you.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Oh, Wampus! :(

I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm quite at a loss for words, I'm just thinking what everybody else said! :hug:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.