Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Wampus, you are so in my prayers.

We both know that a positive outcome, while possible, is not likely.

What's happening to your husband is exactly what's happening to my son-in-law's dad. There are two new treatments available now that are getting 80% success rates. (He's chosen one of them and we were discussing it with him last weekend.) They don't cure the cancer, but they restrict the blood supply to the cancer cells so that they can't grow. You spend the rest of your life keeping an eye on it, and, I guess, taking the drugs, but 80% of the patients do experience complete remission, that is, the cells have been dormant since treatment began. One of the drugs is made by Bayer and the other by Pfizer. My s-o-l's dad is going with the Bayer program.

I don't know how many years they've been on the market - not many - so the ultimate prognosis is not yet known, but the treatment looks vastly superior to currrent alternatives because it does not have the side-effects of chemo and radiation and the patient can live a normal life while under treatment. And the success rate is wonderfully high.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Thank you, friends. :grouphug:

And a special thanks to you, Jny, for making my heart leap with hope. I hadn't heard how successful the new treatments were. :D

Let me tell you what else happened today. It would be remarkable on any day, but the timing is ... well ... judge for yourself.

I got a call this afternoon from the Bone Marrow Registry. I'd registered almost 15 years ago, but never got a call until today. Turns out I'm at least a partial match for a 36-year-old man who has cancer and needs a bone marrow transplant. They'll be doing another test to see if I'm a true match, and if so, I might be able to save someone's life!

Wow.

I started to tell the woman who called, "Oh no, I can't commit to that; my husband has cancer." But fortunately I saw the silliness of that and laughed instead. What if someone had the chance to help us? Would I want any excuse to stand in the way?

I'm not sure exactly why, but I found the call incredibly uplifting. Even Gary grinned when I told him. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wampus, that's wonderful! :hug: And what a good person you are.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, that is an amazing coincidence - and, yes, strangely uplifting to read! And it shows what a wonderful person you are! :hug:

Jny, your post was so good to read, too! :)

Edit: hehe - crossposted with Prim and we had the same thought! :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

For you and Gary, Wkitty :hug:
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

:hug: to you, Wampuskitty.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Wampus, you are brave and kind! Thinking of others when your own world has been rocked by trouble -- you are a beacon of light. (Where's the lighthouse icon, anyway?)

You and your family are in my heart again today . . . . :hug:
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Wampuskitty ... :hug: so full of beautiful courage.

I send all the good thoughts I can muster.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

WampusCat the Stouthearted? :rofl:

Not quite.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

As I seem to recall someone telling me :scratch: , having courage doesn't mean not feeling fear; it means feeling fear and managing anyway. :hug: As you will.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Wampus, your initial impulse was completely understandable. You need to be strong for what you must face! But I love, revere and admire you for rethinking it. Maybe there is no better time to be generous than when you yourself are in need.

My heart aches for you. I wish I could think of a way to help. (And if there is a practical way to help, you'll let us know, won't you?)

I reckon it doesn't help, but I am thinking of you every day, and in my own heathenish way, praying for mercy, redemption, and happiness.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Wampus, I am so sorry about the news about Gary. I will pray for your continued strength, for both you and your husband, and for your sweet son.

It just doesn't seem fair. :(

Ethel, I enjoyed your poem.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Ethel, you're no heathen. You're a loving, thoughtful person who dares to follow her own heart and mind. I suspect God likes that a lot more than people who mouth the right words because somebody told them to. It definitely helps me to know you care.

Prim, now what brilliant person could have told you something like that? :scratch: Perhaps she needs reminding.

Anthy, I'm beginning to think that fairness isn't guaranteed in life. :shock:

To all who have sent :hug: and prayers, thank you. I actually feel much more at peace than I have any right to be. That could fall apart, I'm sure, but it's good for now -- and this moment is all we really have.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Heathen or not, my friend, I am here for you. I know how difficult this road is. But Jn's post gave me a bit of hope that there may be new approaches out there that could be effective. How great would that be? It is very important to never give up hope. :)
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Thoughts for you and your family, Wampuscat
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

And warm thoughts for you and your family, Nin.

Wampus, how are you doing out there? You have very much been on my mind...
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm hanging in there.

My son called from school this morning to say he felt really depressed and couldn't focus on his classes. Since he's bipolar, we have to take these mood swings seriously. So I brought him home and we talked a while about how scared he feels about his dad.

Gary was really down this morning too. So without being Little Miss Sunshine (as if I could be), I feel like I have to hold everything and everybody up. Here's hoping my arms don't get tired.
:help:

Praying for you, Nin.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, gosh, wish we could all just lace our arms together and help you hold everything together... Thinking of you and your family today, Wampus!

(And of course today must be especially hard, because tomorrow you get all that information, and today has to feel very much like a day on the Edge of something. :hug:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's so hard, Wampus, when you're just as sad and frightened yourself. But it does actually help a little, as I'm sure you know—because you're trying to be strong, you'll be stronger.

I'm praying for you and your family as you endure the wait. :hug:
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Wampus, you really ARE being brave.

The toughest part about any of this, when you are the support person, is that it's all about giving strength to others, when you yourself are so in need of strength. I tried to say something like this in nel's thread where she speaks of her mother's medical issues, and I'm afraid I wrote it a bit badly. But my empathy is there for you, even if my words are not.

I will pray for your strength, and for hope, and for peace... and perhaps, simply for endurance.

We really are all here for you, Wampus, and we care about you so much... it is a helpless feeling to know that you are going through such stress and misery, and all I can offer are awkward words.

And brain waves of affection and support, wafting your way through the nether. Feel them?

:hug: