A talking Jesus doll, at a Wal-Mart near you

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Gannett News Service
Oct. 10, 2007 10:07 AM

If Jesus walked the land today, would he cast out of Wal-Mart an 11.25-inch doll molded in plastic in his image? Or would he smile and see the toy, made in China for a California distributor, as another way of spreading the Gospel?

The doll, on sale at more than 400 Wal-Marts nationally, quotes Scriptures and comes with a booklet giving parents tips on how to shape a child's faith.

...continued...

:scratch:

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

I can't believe Christianity has stooped so low that we have to market Jesus now. :rage:

IMHO, is Jesus so out of date that we have to start a marketing campaign that will cater to the "religious needs" of people who can't take the time to teach their kids how to read the bible. I mean what will a few phrases in the bible teach a three year old kid anyways. Let's say this Jesus doll utters Love your neighbor, what does it mean? How can the kid understand that phrase when their parents don't even know why we have to love our neighbor? Just because a Jesus doll say so.

Who benefits from this niche market? Are any of the profits going to bible literacy or are we just making a toy manufacturer profit by using a religious figure's image?

It's bad enough that other Christian sects mock the Catholic Church as contributing to "idolatry" for having images of Jesus and other saintly figures in their churches and yet as Christians we allow Jesus dolls go on sale at Wal-Mart. *shakes head*
Last edited by Lurker on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have no words. :(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't either. Unbelievably tacky. And I would feel that way if it were any religiously significant figure from any major religion. It's not just that it's my own faith being cheapened; Heaven knows there are enough people hard at work at that.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, how about a cross-shaped MP3 player?

:scratch:

I don't know. Where exactly do you draw the line between what is acceptable in religious merchandise and what is not?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

A cross shaped MP3 player is ok, IMHO. I see it as a shape, just because it's a cross doesn't automatically mean it's a religious symbol. It could mean Red Cross or emergency or medicine.

I was not offended when Madonna popularized the cross and started telling everybody she was wearing a rosary as a fashion accessory. IMHO, it ain't a rosary unless you start using it as one. Maybe I was just kid back then who had a huge crush on her. Once you get older you get cranky and can't tolerate this stuff anymore. :P
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

Can we say gag gift? Unfortunately I'm being serious I bet people are going to give this as a gag (or maybe I have a sick sense of humor). It's hard enough to be taken seriously as a Christian as it is :nono:
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Frelga, that's my personal reaction. I wouldn't start protesting outside Wal-Mart (over that issue, anyway ;) ) or say that no one has the right to sell such a thing. I find a lot of the merchandise available in "Christian bookstores" just about equally tacky. But some people like it a lot.

I do agree with TM that this particular item has a lot of potential for mocking use.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The doll at least seems to be an earnest effort at engaging children. Whether the result falls into the unacceptable category is, of course, up to each believer. The cross MP3, too, is earnestly intended for youth groups.

I don't know. I am certainly not saying that it should be OK with people. My own mind boggled for a second.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

The same company makes Noah and Moses as well, so it's not strictly Christianity involved.....

I wouldn't buy the thing, that's for sure, but I consider most plastic kids toys cheesy/tacky. And I agree that most of the knockoffs sold in Christian bookstores aren't really...going to help anyone with their faith.

There is a Stephen Curtis Chapman song about this.
Well I got myself a T-shirt that says what I believe
I got letters on my bracelet to serve as my ID
I got the necklace and the key chain
And almost everything a good Christian needs, yeah
I got the little Bible magnets on my refrigerator door
And a welcome mat to bless you
before you walk across my floor
I got a Jesus bumper sticker
And the outline of a fish stuck on my car
And even though this stuff's all well and good, yeah
I cannot help but ask myself ...

What about the change
What about the difference
What about the grace
What about forgiveness
What about a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change, yeah
I'm undergoing the change
Christianity isn't about having stuff. So, marketing Christian stuff is kinda....random. But I do have to agree that this can't be worse than Bratz or Teletubbies....can it?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Maybe people label themselves with Christian stickers and bracelets and such to make it easier to stick to what they see as Christian behavior, like an AA member who puts a "One Day at a Time" bumper sticker on his car.

And nothing is worse than Bratz.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

I realize that it would be kitchy (sp.), but I'd really like a fire-breathing, apostate-nation damning, Che-beard wearing John the Baptist.

For my dashboard.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Ah, but then there's this.

Soccer-playing Jesus

And of course, who could resist the Bobble-head Jesus?

These are honest-to-God items listed on a delightful web site, Ship of Fools, which, among other things, pokes fun at tacky religious merchandise. The site is run by serious Christians with an irreverent sense of humor.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Primula Baggins wrote:

Amen. :)
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

Anthriel wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote:

Amen. :)
How about Bratz the movie?! ;)

I might not think the Jesus doll is right for my house hold but if it does end up helping someone understand Christianity then more power to them.
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'm afraid there are going to be lots of children having the Goliath Spirit Warrior action figure tearing off the head of the Jesus Tales of Glory action figure. Score one for peacemaking. :(

Honestly: what did your Barbies look like after a couple of years? (Or your neighbors' Barbies, for those who were themselves Barbieless?)
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I realize that it would be kitchy (sp.), but I'd really like a fire-breathing, apostate-nation damning, Che-beard wearing John the Baptist.
We got one. His name's Osama.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

OMG! I just checked out Ship of Fools and found this:

Velvet Vulva – If you want to "honour the goddess" within and without, you could do a lot worse than a Velvet Vulva. They are lusciously pouting hats and handbags, modelled on those well-known "sacred portals to the feminine temple", or "rude bits", as they are also known. They radiate positive feminine energy as well as providing somewhere to put your lippy. Ideal for the woman who likes to wear her heart on her sleeve and her genitalia on her head. And doesn't mind looking a twat.

(picture omitted, for which I imagine y'all will be grateful.)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:shock:

Somehow I missed that one ...
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

soli, you're making that up, aren't you?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."