Physical violence against children

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Axordil wrote:The problem with talking about this subject is that not everyone is on equal footing; what seems likes a merely straightforward presentation of evidence from someone for whom it's a more or less abstract moral or ethical discussion is going to be for others a commentary on their own childrearing methods. The potential for making people defensive is great, in my opinion greater than any possible gain to be had from talking about it.
What is this subject?

Is it spanking, or is it abuse of children?

That's probably the wrong question. Many people maintain that spanking is abuse of children, after all. And it might be, but if so it's certainly far down the scale from hitting a kid with a rod or a rock, two examples truehobbit brings up in the first post of the thread that have nothing to do with spanking.

So, is this thread about spanking, or about more extreme forms of physical punishment? Or is it understood that it's all really the same?

Ax wrote:All right, I've tried to be nice and circumspect, but it's obviously not working. I deeply resent being judged on parenting skills by non-parents. And I'm afraid that's what your approach here feels like. You may not intend it to, but that's how it comes off. Comments like the above only reinforce that impression. I don't find the topic taboo, but I do find this approach offensive.
I really don't think you're being fair to Ax, Brian and nerdanel. He says very clearly it's the approach that matters. Axordil never told anyone they couldn't share their own experiences as a child. Truehobbit didn't start this thread from the perspective of a former child! She started it as an intellecutal excercise, a philosophical game. She says "It's very interesting thing in itself that this topic is taboo for you." I can see how infuriating this sort of statement would be coming from someone who treats it as purely abstract, who hasn't brought any actual experience to this topic, either as a parent or a child.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

. . .

I might be back at some point.
Last edited by vison on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dig deeper.
Lily Rose
earthbound misfit

Post by Lily Rose »

No matter how hard you try to be a good parent, or grandparent as the case may be, we are only human. Sometimes we are going to fail. I have lost it more than once with my three children. I also have four step children, and sometimes the job is overwhelming. Soon, all of the children are going to live with us, and sometimes I wonder what in the world I have gotten myself in to.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Before I reply to any of the individual posts, I'd like to say some more about the general idea of this thread, as there seems to be some lack of clarity about it.
Faramond wrote:
What is this subject?

Is it spanking, or is it abuse of children?

That's probably the wrong question. Many people maintain that spanking is abuse of children, after all.

If I were to reply very briefly I'd say that this is exactly the question of the thread.

Is 'spanking' abuse? Is any kind of violence, physical or emotional 'abuse'? Is only very violent mistreatment 'abuse'? One main idea of the thread is to find out what people's opinions about violence towards children are.

(Maybe I should add, for definition, that by 'violence' I don't only mean extreme forms of mistreatment, but, in a narrower definition, any exertion of force on someone that results in a hurt.)

But there are more questions raised in Faramond's post, which I'd like to answer, too.

Truehobbit didn't start this thread from the perspective of a former child! She started it as an intellecutal excercise, a philosophical game.
No, I started it as an academic discussion, such as we are supposed to have in this forum.
I'm surprised that the idea of an academic approach to raising children seems so alien, but, actually, it is a topic that one may discuss academically.
This does not make it a 'game'.

who hasn't brought any actual experience to this topic, either as a parent or a child.
I guess you have a point there, although this has partly to do with what I was thinking of for the thread. I'll try to remedy that and then try to explain why I didn't.

When I said in response to Frelga that I was with her completely, I meant that I shared her experiences. However, I realise that this wasn't very clear.
So, I was never spanked or in any other way beaten as a child. Like Frelga, I can only imagine how infuriatingly humiliated and powerless I would have felt, and can't really imagine coping with it.
Also like Frelga, I 'got a few smacks upside the head, nothing that hurt for even a second, but boy do I remember them'. The only thing where I'm unlike Frelga is that it didn't make me angry (and I didn't want to get payback ;) ), instead I was shocked, saddened, disappointed. From what I remember, it happened twice. Both times, I had meant no harm, although in hindsight it must be admitted that harm was what I'd done.

Maybe the fact that I was lucky enough to grow up so peacefully accounts for the fact that, personally, I find the idea of violence terrifying.

But just like I would hope to be able to have a civilised discussion about the death penalty, for example, with someone who thinks it's a good idea, when I find it horrifying, because I'm curious to learn why someone would find it a good idea, and maybe to find some interesting points that I hadn't thought of before, so I'm also hoping to have a civilised discussion about violence towards children.

That is why in the opening post I stated first thing that I thought it was wrong. The idea was to make my stand on the matter known from the outset - in matters where divergent opinions tend to be so far apart, I think it's safer for the preservation of politeness to know from the outset where someone stands at the moment. This is the important matter of the thread.

The reason I hadn't bothered to tell you guys about my personal life in so many words, however, is because it's not the point of this thread!

Personal experience is invaluable in collecting evidence that helps you draw conclusions, so I'm very grateful for everyone who has shared a little of their own feelings and responses towards hitting children, whether from the giving or receiving angle.
But I would like to stress that it was not my idea to start a mere 'turn your heart and soul inside out'-thread - this is not my type of thing. The idea of sharing these experiences is to use them to rationalise them and arrive at a discussion of what you think about violence towards children, your opinions.

Now, out of respect for the personal quality of these experiences, I think that I'd be out of bounds if I were to rationalise and draw conclusions from experiences others have shared here, so I've only done it in a few instances and, as I hope, carefully. (As, for example, in observing that Alatar and Jny were in agreement about a good reason for a spanking.)
What I'm hoping is that you analyse your thoughts and feelings and share the results of that. It is not absolutely necessary, for this end, to share personal experiences, although they are of course extremely valuable as examples and illustrations for your opinions.
However, theoretical ideas and thoughts, research data and scholarly theories are just as welcome and useful.

Sorry this is so long, but I felt this needed clarification.

And it might be, but if so it's certainly far down the scale from hitting a kid with a rod or a rock, two examples truehobbit brings up in the first post of the thread that have nothing to do with spanking.
These are not two example, Faramond, it's a parable.
Using a rod for spanking was customary for most of the time, so this is the equivalent of the 'normal' discipline.
The idea of the parable is to show the perception of the child. It only understands the mother wants to cause it some pain, and in its endless love and trust, it accepts this choice of the mother unquestioningly. For the child, what matters is that it should be hurt, so it doesn't see a difference between throwing a stone and spanking with a rod.
For the adult reader of the parable, however, throwing a stone at someone is barbarous, while spanking with a rod is an accepted practice.
The adult who suddenly realises through the eyes of the child that the barbarous and the traditional action are really the same, is supposed to learn from it that all physical violence against children is bad in the same way.

And that's what I would like to discuss. Is it all bad in the same way? Or is there a 'scale' and some things are so far down on that scale that they are acceptable? And if so, which ones?

Personally, I do think there is a scale, but I just can't make up my mind whether some things on the bottom end of it are acceptable. My reason tells me there aren't, but experience and feeling seem to argue that it's not as simple as that.

I'll try to keep responses brief after all that. :)

Mith, thanks for the further explanation. I think the fact that your mother succeeded to solve her problems pretty soon makes a great difference.

I agree about it all being a case-to-case question. In spite of my general/theoretical opinion that education should be violence-free, I have often wondered whether there maybe are children who are unable to accept any other message than pain. I know that it's a wide-spread pedagogical belief that there aren't, but I have my doubts, it just seems possible.
(Although, even if I start from supposing there are, I then ask myself what is the reason they are unable?)

nel - first of all I wanted to give you a hug, too, but right after that I just want to thank you for your post, in which after explaining your experiences, you rationalised and drew conclusions from them, just as I had hoped for in this thread. And you raise just the right questions.

To begin with the last one:
My sister and I have both always wondered this, so I have to ask - how common is this stuff?

Finding out about exactly this is the other main idea of the thread.

From my own experience, as much as from the prevalent condemnation violence in education officially receives over here, I used to think that violence in education was either restricted to occasional, harmless lapses or, in the cases higher up the scale, caused by some problem of the person who was exerting the violence, but that its acceptance as a disciplinary method was quite uncommon.
I'd heard the occasional call for the re-introduction of physical violence as a standard measure of discipline, made by desperate teachers or conservative politicians over here, but I didn't think such ideas might be seriously considered by the generality of people as an option.
A few days ago, however, I first heard violence in education discussed as though it was something quite normal, something that even if you don't choose to use it yourself is a thing so normal that it seems to be happening quite a lot to a large number of people, with no one, including the recipients, seemingly finding anything debatable about it.

That's why I became interested to find out how common this view contrasting to mine is, and why it is as common or uncommon as it would turn out to be.

Your two 'issues' are most interesting observations, I thought. I don't really have anything to add to them, and am just nodding in appreciation.

vison, I hope you'll be back. :)

Lily, I completely agree, sometimes we are going to fail, and that's ok, and, as Prim said a while ago, how your kids turn out may not have as much to do with your education as pedagogues like to think. Parents make a choice, but there's no telling where that choice leads to.

Still, it's interesting, I think, to discuss the pedagogues' theories of where it leads to and compare it to real life experience.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Axordil and I have shared PM's and I understand the perspective he is coming from and his reticence to engage in the discussion.

He also understands my perspective, and we are in agreement on more things than we are in disagreement on.

My own experience with the matter is not great. I was spanked as a child, and I do not remember most incidents. I clearly remember only one: one for which I did not understand the reason, and for which I still do not.

To the best of my recollection, I was never spanked again after that incident.

I do know a number of people that I grew up with, or came into contact with at various points in my life, who were physically punished quite harshly, or even abused. I even recall that there were kids at school who were considered "weird", and were sometimes shunned or made objects of fun. I have realized in retrospect that the "weird" behavior of some of them may have been due to abuse, and that school, unfortunately, was not always a haven, as one would hope in such cases.

With regard to most of the people I socialize with today, I rarely if ever am aware of the use of spanking or any other form of corporeal punishment.

I can understand that it may be necessary in limited circumstances, and I find it to difficult to say that any single approach to discipline can be applied universally.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

There are two separate issues here: discipline and punishment. They ARE different, at least in my eyes.

Discipline is an ongoing process of "civilizing" a child, making the child aware that he or she is NOT the centre of the universe. Just by happenstance this evening I was at the Meet The Teacher night at Taylor's school and the principal's talk included an explanation of the school's program aimed at developing a sense of "the other" in middle school kids. They tend to be very self-absorbed.

I do know that "discipline" has other meanings, but those are not the meanings I am discussing. My idea of discipline is a kind of casually structured "agenda" in the family, where our family expectations and values are discussed and taught. "We don't do/say that in our family" is a phrase I use now and again. The kids come home with awful jokes sometimes, or repeat comments they've heard from someone else.

Punishment, (also called "discipline") is another thing. While I admit I have hit, I think it is utterly wrong. Again, though, I'm not talking about the smack on the hand or bottom, a quick and simple warning to a child too young to reason with.

As for what is "abuse", well, I think nel's post describes it very well, both physical and emotional. I think we all know the difference.

What we don't all know is, what it's like to be a parent. That is not to belittle or dismiss anyone who isn't. After all, we've all been kids and some of us were abused. But all I can say is, you can't know.
Dig deeper.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Hobby - it makes a huge difference! My siblings and I were not abused. We were spanked, and yelled at, but that is because we were kids. It was scary when my Mom lost control, but that was a temporary thing. It might explain why I am very reticent to lose my own temper, but beyond that...it's not an issue (for any of us).

nel - I think that isolated incidents similar to what you describe are common enough. But all of that together? And repeated? No. That is not common. I have met people who complain about their 'terrible' childhood, often needlessly. The stuff they share is minor, and you can tell they have no clue what other people deal with. What you have shared is not minor. My aunt gets upset that she was sent out to pick beans in a thunderstorm when she was 6, and that she didn't have her own birthday cake (her b-day was a few days after her mom's b-day). Her parents weren't perfect, of course, but please - to still complain about such things when you are over 40?! You just sound spoiled. Neither you nor your sister sounds 'spoiled.' Quite the contrary... :( :hug:

Of course there are always situations out there that are worse. If you wanted reassurance that you didn't have the worst of it, you could always read a book like 'A Boy Called It.' Very sad (and a similar situation with a totally passive dad). But this is a case where not being the only ones isn't totally reassuring....

vison :hug: :hug: :hug: I read your post before you thought better of it. Your grandsons are very lucky to have such a caring grandmom. We all do things we regret at times. I'm not sure what my point is, other than to say that I am sure you are working hard to be the best parent you can be to those boys.

And I know I'm not a parent and have no clue about being a parent!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

vison, :hug:
nel, :hug:

Everyone else, :grouphug:

Speaking only for the perspective of this non-parent, I really do feel unable to express a viable opinion about this issue. Obviously, there is some point where abuse becomes objectively immoral. But even determining at what point that is the case is very slippery. I think it is unlikely that I would have used any corporal punishment if I had ever become a parent, because I am almost pathologically adverse to violence in all forms. But I can't say for sure. And I am even less certain as to whether that would have been a "good thing". I am fairly convinced that I would have been a terrible parent, horribly over-protective and coddling of my children. A good argument could be made that that would be at least as debilitating to the children as a certain amount of corporal punishment.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I hope I'll have time for a proper post tomorrow. For now, I just need to give nel a hug.:hug:

And vison, too. :hug:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I am fairly convinced that I would have been a terrible parent, horribly over-protective and coddling of my children. A good argument could be made that that would be at least as debilitating to the children as a certain amount of corporal punishment.
You make a good point V. I wonder sometimes if my kids are adequately prepared for the "school of hard knocks". I want them to be able to stand up for themselves, to be able to defend against bullies. Its a difficult tightrope to walk. My kids might get punished for getting into a fight at school, cause its not something you want to encourage, but secretly I'm proud of them for not lying down and taking shit either.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

There's a wide gap between a slap and a spanking - and an equally wide, if not wider, gap between a spanking and something like Nel for example has had to go through.

But, in general, I don't think that physical discipline is of any good. My experience of it is that, it's mostly used just to break the child's own will, and make him/her act and behave like his/her parents want to.

As a kid, I got spanked quite a few times, usually for just disagreeing with my mother (it was always my mom who spanked me; my dad relied on solving matters with serious talk). I think that, the most important consequence was that, it took me several years after I had moved away from my parents before I really started to dare and say my honest opinion on things, and to act like *I* think I should, not the way someone else thinks I should.

I've never spanked my children. I've slapped them a few times, though, of which I'm definitely not proud; usually, it happened after a shouting match, when I just "lost it". But, I've always tried to respect them as the individuals they are; and, I think that, the relationship between me and my daughters is much closer and warmer than my relationship with my mother has ever been.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

This is interesting, that so many people see a slap on the face as less extreme than a spanking. My take on it, based on my experience, would be the opposite. If one of my parents had ever once slapped my face in anger, I would have been devastated. Yet my few spankings don't seem to have left any scars.

I've never been struck in the face in my life, or struck anyone else that way, so it just seems horrifying to me. (Not a judgment on others, just reporting what my own reaction would be if it happened to me.)

I'm sure it must be a matter of culture.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Prim, I agree completely.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Stopping by to :hug: nel :hug:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I wouldn't worry too much about your kids standing up for themselves, Alatar. If they have a good sense of their own worth, they will. Children don't learn to get through the school of hard knocks by being knocked around at home, if you follow me. Home should be (and yours probably is) a place where you are loved and valued and safe.

Kids are very strange little creatures. You think they are going to be like you or maybe your brother. But they turn out to be like your uncle Bob. You think you have taught them X but then it seems they really learned Y. They seem to be born with certain personality traits: a shy toddler is probably going to be a shy teenager. You agonize over them and lie awake nights worrying about what's going to happen to them. A child can bear nearly anything but cannot bear not to be loved.

One book I can recommend wholeheartedly is "Hang onto your Kids" by Gordon Neufeld. It is a plain, common-sense book about dealing with "peer pressure" and it's worth reading. Peer pressure is a big thing these days, more than ever.
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I was spanked, but not excessively -- and certainly never slapped or hit with an object. The spankings only made me angry and resentful, not remorseful. I clearly remember that they lowered my opinion of my mother, who was the only parent who did it. My gentle father could stop any action of mine with one word of disapproval, largely because of my respect for him. I wanted to be like him, not like my mother.

I have never spanked my son, based on those memories. But that's not to say he was never spanked. The only big arguments that Gary and I ever had were over discipline. He was such a gentle person, much like my father, but he thought that was the only way to get through to our son. To be honest, I don't think it ever worked well the few times he did it despite my angry disapproval. Their relationship improved immensely when they both started taking taekwondo and could spar with one another safely. Each could get in blows and work out their frustrations.

My personal belief is that spanking teaches kids to resolve problems by hitting, that it causes humiliation and resentment, and that it can easily cross the line into abuse. Parents should show more control than their kids, not less.

That said, I do not blame others for making their own choices about discipline. A lot depends on the family context. If a child is shown and told that she is loved, an occasional swat on the rear will result in far less damage than if the child is constantly judged, berated or ignored.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Acquaintances of mine would often boast that they would NEVER hit their kids, yet they felt that pinning sweets over the doorway out of reach was a good motivator.

Their eldest kid used a pacifier even when he started school, but would never use it at school for fear of ridicule. His dad thought it a very amusing form of discipline to threaten the child that he'd show his friends the pacifier.

I was seriously tempted to use some corporal punishment on the dad. :x
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Humiliation (or the threat of it) counts as abuse in my book.

I don't see how a parent can demand "respect" from a child without in turn respecting that child's basic human dignity—no mockery, no insults, no humiliation. Decisions, including discipline decisions, explained clearly at the child's level. No "Because I say so!"

It is possible to do this without surrendering one shred of authority. In fact, it increases authority, I think; if a child's experience has always been that the parents have reasons for their rules and are willing to explain them, she is more likely, not less likely, to follow those rules, and to do so without resentment. Or that's my experience, anyway.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes, but there are exceptions. There are times when "because I said so" is absolutely the right reason.

If your child is about to step in front of a car when you yell "Stop right there" then you want them to do it without hesitation. Not keep walking while looking backwards over their shoulder saying "Why?".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

But in that context, of course tone of voice, etc., would tell the child to obey first and ask questions later. And there would be no need to say "Because I said so" later, because the reason for the command is obvious.

I'm thinking more of situations that come up on a daily basis—reminders to do chores, rules about curfews and whose house one may visit, that kind of thing. An explanation freely given when requested shows that the parent's got a reason for expecting particular behavior. At least with kids like mine, that works a lot better than "Because I said so."

And who am I to talk—only one of my kids is still a kid. My second son turns 18 on Sunday. :P