Shanah Tova!

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Jnyusa

Shanah Tova!

Post by Jnyusa »

Happy New Year to everyone at HoF!

May the coming year bring to all of us joy in our families and friends, good health, accomplishment, freedom from financial worries, and enthusiasm for the gift of our lives.

The blessing for the first day of the New Year is

Baruch ata, adonai elohainu, melech ha-olam sheheheyanu v'ki y'manu v'higianu lazman hazeh.

Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has kept us and sustained us and brought us to this season.

Jn

belated spelling edit
Last edited by Jnyusa on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Just when I thought that I was King of the Universe.

Damn.

Must be my meds.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

A much-needed blessing just now, Jn. Many thanks, and the same to you.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

To a good and sweet year, my friends.

When they sound shofar tomorrow, if I think "Where's the horn that was blowing," I'm going to blame all of you. :P
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Happy New Year Jn and I hope it'll be the start of a wonderful year to come.

Also Ramadan Kareem (today is the first day of Ramadan) :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's an unusual concordance. May it be a sign of better relations in the future, not only between the Semitic peoples, but among all of the children of the Earth.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

From your keyboard to God's ears, Voronwë.

Happy New Year and Happy Ramadan to all! May this time be meaningful, and may all our days, months and years to come be blessed.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Swiz, I was going to ask you when Ramadan started because I knew they were very close this year but I didn't realize that they were on the very same day.

May your fast be light. :)

Is there an official greeting for Ramadan? It celebrates the Hajira, doesn't it?

iirc, Ramadan and Rosh Hashana should fall this close together about once every four hundred years. That is indeed a good omen, if only people will see it that way.

There was a short report on npr last night about a TV serial in 22 parts playing in Iran right now, about an Iranian student in France during the 1930s who falls in love with a Jewish girl and brings her family to Iran to rescue them from the Nazis. One of the show's producers was interviewed and they were talking about what a phenomenon it was because the show is really popular and shows Jewish life in a very favorable light ... and then the government of Iran officially denies the Holocaust, you know, so the fact that they've allowed the show to run at all is pretty strange.

Thinking back to what bt had been posting in once of the Lasto threads, about changing ideas through entertainment, this was a perfect example of how to go about doing that. Now if we just had a serial like that in the US about an Islamic family ... :)

A moment of history for context - my great grandparents went from Germany to Canada in the late 1800s, and my grandparents married in Canada and moved first to New York and then to Ohio during the Depression when my Poppop got a job there. They shared a double with a Lebanese family, and these were my Nana's closest friends for the rest of her life really. The Lebanese community feels like family to me, like ... if I couldn't find a Jewish community but had a Lebanese community to live in, that would be the same as home. What's happening now in the world is just so wrong, it's so unnatural.

One of my resolutions for the year 5768 :) is to get more involved in WZO because their heads appear to have turned around in the past few years and they seem to be one of the few official forces in Judaism campaigning for a different view of the world. Hopefully lots of people, Jewish and Moslem, will reach the point of fed-up-ness and start working to put our relations back together again from the ground up.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Happy Rosh Hashanah!
Ramadan Mubarak!!

:)

One pal of mine is fasting for Ramadan, and I am fasting for some other reason (weekly ritual), so I keep giving him tips. ;) Its great fun.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Go n-éirí an bothar le gach éinne agaibh ar HoF um an dtaca seo!

(May the road rise to meet you all at HoF at this time.)

I hope it's a good sign that these things are happening together. I really do.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Swiz, I saw that Ramadan started today and I too hoped it was a good omen. Have an easy fast, if you are fasting. I need to go into training for Yom Kippur myself. It's a longer fast, but only one day.

I'm very happy today, because DS elected to go to services with me. He wanted to go to school at first, and I didn't press much, so I was very pleased when he announced that he would go. They had a special service for families with kids, with all the "required" parts, including shofar, but shorter and simpler. Then he said that he wants to fast on Yom Kippur to which I said absolutely not. He's too young, anyway.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Happy New Year and best wishes for a joyous Ramadan as well!
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Jn wrote:Is there an official greeting for Ramadan? It celebrates the Hajira, doesn't it?
Well actually it's the month that we believe the first part of the Quran came down. There are many greetings non of which are official but usually Ramadan Mubarak and Ramadan Kareem are the ones used.
Fregla wrote:Swiz, I saw that Ramadan started today and I too hoped it was a good omen. Have an easy fast, if you are fasting. I need to go into training for Yom Kippur myself. It's a longer fast, but only one day.
lol You reminded me of a silly argument I had with my (Jewish) friend over which one was harder fasting for Yom Kippur or all of Ramadan. :rofl:
Mahima wrote:One pal of mine is fasting for Ramadan, and I am fasting for some other reason (weekly ritual), so I keep giving him tips.
That might be a good idea :) For some odd reason Muslims like nothing more than to talk about food the whole time they're fasting. It's sorta funny because strangers all of a sudden have something to talk about. You'd think that after so many years they'd realise that talking about food isn't the best way to make the hunger go away lol.

V wrote:That's an unusual concordance. May it be a sign of better relations in the future, not only between the Semitic peoples, but among all of the children of the Earth.
Amen to that.