The Ideal Life

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

"As for displaced... I just got to wondering lately what it would feel like to be a part of majority for once. Anywhere, in anything. "

I have often felt that way, too. Have often felt like "the odd man out". But not so much in the last few years. Why? Because of LOTR, and the fan forums I joined. For the first time in my life I felt like I really belonged somewhere. That's not quite the same as being in the majority, but it's a good thing, just the same.

That feeling of community is necessary for "the ideal life", is it not?
Dig deeper.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

That feeling of community is necessary for "the ideal life", is it not?
Amen, vison! That is so true.

And another amen going out to Frelga, because I'm yet another one who always feels eccentric (sometimes I will look at those polls of "what typical Americans believe" and just feel like crawling under a rock!) -- in fact, my governing allegory (! if that doesn't sound too stuffy for words!) all my life long has been "The Little Mermaid," the original tale, of course, and not Disney's saccharine version: the mermaid who comes from one world into another for love's sake and for whom every step is like walking on knives.

But Frelga, I do think the distinction between "pleasure" and "happiness" is hard to draw. I agree that certain pleasures of the moment (my typing this message, for instance!) can distract us from (1)our duties (the e-mails I really meant to send!) and (2)the things that can bring us happiness in the long run (the walk I delayed to work on the e-mails I really meant to send!; the writing I don't have time for this morning) -- BUT it is not so clear to me that our duties, as opposed to our pleasures, are the same things as that which can bring us happiness in the long run.

I have gone through extremely long bouts of trying to be dutiful, trying to eschew all pleasures so as to keep house and career humming along as the Super-Ego (e.g. the workplace! my husband!) feels they should hum. But if I sacrifice too long the things that are the ground of my happiness, writing and walking, then I am just progressively more and more miserable.

Messageboards like this one can either be another way to fritter away time that could be spent writing and walking OR they can be the saving Outside Voice that reminds me that the Super-Ego does not always have my true happiness at heart -- and a reminder that connecting with people and thinking deeply about things are also important, perhaps even vital activities.

Just a long-winded way of saying that keeping your house perfectly clean and falling less behind at work (phrased that way because at least at my work, there is NO WAY NOT TO BE BEHIND to some degree) may not bring you happiness in and of themselves! :) You knew that, though.

How actually to achieve happiness, as opposed to a mere warding off of despair/anxiety/self-reproach, is the great mystery, however.

:hug:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Jane Austen wrote the best short definition of happiness I've ever read: "that sanguine expectation of happiness that is happiness itself."

Of course, she didn't provide a blueprint. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

To be surrounded by people who truly love me and to truly love the people I'm surrounded with, and be confident in the knowledge of both.

That covers most of it, for me.

After that, really knowing what skills or talents I may have, succesfully making a career out of using them, and finding satisfaction in their usage.

That covers about 99% of my ideal.

The other 1% lies in the more superficial realms but if we're going with ideal:

- Being physically attractive and being with someone a love who I find beautiful inside and out. (aka - sex appeal)
- Being eternally rid of financial worries. I don't much want to be rich, I just don't wanna have to care about money anymore. Money worries are uniquely exhausting.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So, anybody know how to get the stuff I listed? Cuz if anybody knows, I'd really appreciate it........................................
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

:hug:
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:hug: indeed.

For your 99% you picked two very tough but very worthwhile goals. I wish I could tell you how to achieve them.

For the first, I would say: always be honest—be a person with integrity. That will pay off in every way imaginable (except the loss of some of the easy fun you give up in order to be honest). To be loved by people you can trust totally, you need to deserve their total trust as well. Trust is essential to permanent relationships.

Also, don't overvalue romance. The thrill comes and goes within any relationship—that's natural, not a problem. If friendship and trust are there, you'll always have something good.

For the second—I'd just say follow your bliss. If there's something you really want to do, pursue it. Things fall into place in an almost eerie way when you do that (and give your best).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yov, or just read that list in the Humour thread. ;)

For your #2, I have always suspected that 80% of choosing a rewarding career is figuring out what makes you really miserable and avoiding it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Or you could buy into all the ads at the bottom of the page.............

That WEIRDS me out, big time. Google is amazing.
Dig deeper.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Yovargas,

I think the more money you make, the worries become bigger. I make more money than I ever did, and same worries. In fact I was thinking the other day that I am making a good deal more than five years ago, but it still seems the same to me. I still worry about the car payment or the house payment or whatever payment. It sort of bites.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, unless you can resist the temptation to improve your lifestyle as your income improves, you end up in the same situation but with higher amounts. . . .
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I've been resisting posting this since this thread was started, but I can resist no longer.

The truth is, there is no such thing as "The Ideal Life". Arda IS marred, and each of us with it. Bad things happen that we have no control over. And we all make the wrong decisions some time, no matter how hard we try to make the right ones.

Worse, the striving for such an impossible goal inevitably leads to disappointment and pain. My advice is to not go there at all. Just try your best, and let the chips fall where they may.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Ah, Voronwë! When I said, "ideal" I didn't mean perfect!

I'm still thinking this over. But at least part of the "ideal" life is to understand as soon as may be that pain and sorrow and disappointment and frustration are PART of reality and the thing is, in my "ideal" life is for me to deal with the inevitable with grace. If I can.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You certainly seem to have attained that part of your ideal life, vison. :love:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Primula_Baggins wrote:You certainly seem to have attained that part of your ideal life, vison. :love:
Oh, Prim, :hug: if you only knew!

However, I'm better at it than I used to be.

Like the Hobbits, I've had a bit of schooling. 8)
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, it's an area where being hit repeatedly over the head is the only way to make progress. :hug: I really, really hate that.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I would say not getting hit repeatedly over the head would be a part of my ideal life.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not a realistic goal, I fear. <rubs head>
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wisdom from Calvin (wishI had the strip):

"Give me the strength to change what I can,
the incapacity to accept what I can't,
and the inability to tell the difference."
– Calvin
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I read somewhere that the secret is not in getting what you want (which equates with constant striving and dissatisfaction), but rather to want what you have.