Theology: Superman and Dr Who

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Aravar

Theology: Superman and Dr Who

Post by Aravar »

This thought is inspired by something I've just read in Di's signature:

Superman is the American conception of the divine, Dr Who the English.

Discuss.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Well, God is an Englishman. 8)

I don't know about the divinity of Doctor Who though the recent series have had a quasi-religious feel to them. I do think that his character appeals to something in the British: eccentric, elliptical, mysterious, curious, amateur and quirkily ingenious.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

God couldn't be English. He likes the Irish. ;)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Re: Theology: Superman and Dr Who

Post by Pearly Di »

Aravar wrote:Superman is the American conception of the divine, Dr Who the English.
You betcha, baby. :love:

*tries to curb fangirl tendencies*

:D

Dr Who is cooler than Superman. Anyone who time travels is way cooler than Superman. ;)

Seriously: I find the new Who's nods to spirituality interesting.

It was like the way Babylon 5 used to treat spirituality - it was not assumed that in the far future that faith would be a thing of the past.

Man, I loved that show.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Pearly Di wrote: Dr Who is cooler than Superman. Anyone who time travels is way cooler than Superman. ;)

Seriously: I find the new Who's nods to spirituality interesting.

It was like the way Babylon 5 used to treat spirituality - it was not assumed that in the far future that faith would be a thing of the past.

Man, I loved that show.
I think I'm in love...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

B5 was awesome! :)

A bit like The Silmarillion in space. :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
ToshoftheWuffingas

Er, we do like the Irish though that is not definite proof that God is English.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I'm happy to say I have no idea what Dr Who is about, and from the one episode I've seen I want to keep it that way. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:hug: You're missing a lot, but oh well (not all the episodes are the same; in fact they're wildly various in flavor and style, much more so than any other program I've ever seen—so what you hated about the one is probably not even in any of the others).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:Er, we do like the Irish though that is not definite proof that God is English.
I would mention Smallville, but that would make God a Canuk.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Primula Baggins wrote::hug: You're missing a lot, but oh well (not all the episodes are the same; in fact they're wildly various in flavor and style, much more so than any other program I've ever seen—so what you hated about the one is probably not even in any of the others).
Indeed. If I recall correctly, Hobby saw the werewolf episode. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Eyewww. Not a good introduction, I think.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Phhhffttt. :P The werewolf ep was just dandy. There was Rose constantly egging Queen Victoria on to say that she wasn't amused. :rofl:

Season Three was pretty good. Some awesome stories. 8)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I thought it was kind of claustrophobic and a bit precious, but there you go. :D

We're two episodes into Season Three over here. I'm liking the new companion quite a lot, and the Doctor more than ever.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oooh. Msg me when you get to the two-parter "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood". I want your reactions! :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Oooh, I loved that two-parter. :love:

And "Blink"!

Christmas special looks awesome. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I heard "Blink" was the scariest Who episode in a loooong time. Can't wait. :D
ToshoftheWuffingas

Blink was trailed as the scariest which spoiled it a little for me as I didn't think the fright factor matched the hype. Anyway the whole series has had moments that make kiddiwinks (and the more senior amongst us) reluctant to go to bed alone. However it was very good indeed which is a different matter with an excellent performance by the heroine.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

'Blink' is very creepy, and very clever! :)

And I really liked the young actress who stars in it, Carey Mulligan.

Anyway ... back to Aravar's original post - yes, I do think the writers of the Doctor have given him a definite messianic edge. This new season has revealed powers I never knew the Doctor had - he keeps them under wraps a great deal. Heck, he even has power to turn back time itself.

I don't want to say too much more otherwise I will be giving away spoilers!

But it has certainly occured to me that the Doctor is not only Elvish (although he is not actually immortal, he can keep on cheating death by regenerating ... the Doctor is currently nine hundred years old) but he has Maia-like powers that border on being Vala-like. Sauron himself would envy the powers the Doctor has.

And yet the Doctor is always unarmed. He never instructs his companions to kill. He has a Tolkienesque commitment to mercy.

Wow, Time Lord. 8)

I do hope that one day the writers will give us a real flashback to Gallifrey. They've given us glimpses. That would be so brilliant.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Aravar wrote:This thought is inspired by something I've just read in Di's signature:

Superman is the American conception of the divine, Dr Who the English.

Discuss.
I think this is insightful, at least if you're dealing in a societal view of God rather than the various individual expressions of faith.

Superman: invincible, fast, solitary, muscled (he looks powerful), morally straight, hides his identity. He's the sort of God who lives in Metropolis and is always there to rescue those in peril, pulling them from danger but with no real vulnerabilities of his own, and expects everyone to follow the law to the letter because it is Right. He's the defender of Truth, Justice and the American Way. How could this possibly be more American?

Dr. Who: clever, intellectual, funny, solitary because he's the last of his kind but takes on select companions, willing to bend the rules to save a planet. He's compassionate but doesn't meddle in others' lives. He has great power but looks ordinary. He interferes at key points in human history, when the danger is greatest, but then disappears in his Tardis.

I'm less familiar with English culture, but I suspect that that description is closer to how the divine is perceived (in general) there. I'm sure Superman is closer to the American perception.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup