Kwanzaa

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Kwanzaa

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We have on occasion been asked to perform at Kwanzaa ceremonies in the past (though not this year). There has always been a curious mix of awkwardness and joyfulness as we generally would be among the only white folks present. We have have always tried to be respectful as possible (including of the fact that Kwanzaa is a tradition designed for black people and that we are not black), and I think most people have accepted (with some unfortunate exceptions) that we have a genuine love and respect for them, their ancestors, and their cultures. I think Kwanzaa is a fascinating and wonderful tradition, and I wanted to pay homage to it here.

Though Kwanzaa is not really a religious holiday, I place this here in Tol Eressëa both because I feel a connection to Kwanzaa as part of my own spirituality, and also because I want to make sure that the special type of respect that we ask for threads in this forum be paid to this thread. This is not a thread for debate, or questioning, simply for paying homage to a tradition that some may not be very familiar with.

The following are excerpts from this site

DEFINITION OF KWANZAA Kwanzaa is a unique African American celebration with focus on the traditional African values of family, community responsibility, commerce, and self-improvement. Kwanzaa is neither political nor religious and despite some misconceptions, is not a substitute for Christmas. It is simply a time of reaffirming African-American people, their ancestors and culture. Kwanzaa, which means "first fruits of the harvest" in the African language Kiswahili, has gained tremendous acceptance. Since its founding in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, Kwanzaa has come to be observed by more than 18 million people worldwide, as reported by the New York Times. When establishing Kwanzaa in 1966, Dr. Karenga included an additional "a" to the end of the spelling to reflect the difference between the African American celebration (kwanzaa) and the Motherland spelling (kwanza).

Kwanzaa is based on the Nguzo Saba (seven guiding principles), one for each day of the observance, and is celebrated from December 26th to January 1st.

Umoja (oo-MO-jah) Unity stresses the importance of togetherness for the family and the community, which is reflected in the African saying, "I am We," or "I am because We are."

Kujichagulia (koo-gee-cha-goo-LEE-yah) Self-Determination requires that we define our common interests and make decisions that are in the best interest of our family and community.

Ujima (oo-GEE-mah) Collective Work and Responsibility reminds us of our obligation to the past, present and future, and that we have a role to play in the community, society, and world.

Ujamaa (oo-JAH-mah) Cooperative economics emphasizes our collective economic strength and encourages us to meet common needs through mutual support.

Nia (NEE-yah) Purpose encourages us to look within ourselves and to set personal goals that are beneficial to the community.

Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah) Creativity makes use of our creative energies to build and maintain a strong and vibrant community.

Imani (ee-MAH-nee) Faith focuses on honoring the best of our traditions, draws upon the best in ourselves, and helps us strive for a higher level of life for humankind, by affirming our self-worth and confidence in our ability to succeed and triumph in righteous struggle.

The Kinara holds seven candles to reflect the seven principles which are the foundation of Kwanzaa. If you don't have a Kinara and don't know where to get one, it is suggested that you use "kuumba" (creativity) and make one. A 2x4 or a piece of driftwood will do just fine, and screw-in candle holders can be purchased in most hardware stores. The Mkeka (place mat) shouldn't present a problem. While straw is suggested because it is traditional, cloth makes an adequate substitute. If cloth is used, one with an African print is preferred. The other symbols are easy to come by and warrant no further discussion other than to caution against placing the Mazao (crops) in a cornucopia which is Western. A plain straw basket or a bowl will do just fine. One last note, even households without any children should place an ear of corn on the place mat to symbolize the African concept of social parenthood. All seven symbols are creatively placed on top of the place mat, i.e., the symbols should be attractively arranged as they form the Kwanzaa centerpiece.

GIFTS Kuumba (creativity) is greatly encouraged. Not only is Kuumba one of the seven principles, it also brings a sense of personal satisfaction and puts one squarely into the spirit of Kwanzaa. Therefore, those symbols that can be made, should be made. The giving of gifts during Kwanzaa should be affordable and of an educational or artistic nature. Gifts are usually exchanged between parents and children and traditionally given on January 1st, the last day of Kwanzaa. However, gift giving during Kwanzaa may occur at any time.

THE KWANZAA FEAST OR KARAMU The Kwanzaa Karumu is traditionally held on December 31st (participants celebrating New Year's Eve, should plan their Karamu early in the evening). It is a very special event as it is the one Kwanzaa event that brings us closer to our African roots. The Karamu is a communal and cooperative effort. Ceremonies and cultural expressions are highly encouraged. It is important to decorate the place where the Karamu will be held, (e.g., home, community center, church) in an African motif that utilizes black, red, and green color scheme. A large Kwanzaa setting should dominate the room where the karamu will take place. A large Mkeka should be placed in the center of the floor where the food should be placed creatively and made accessible to all for self-service. Prior to and during the feast, an informative and entertaining program should be presented. Traditionally, the program involved welcoming, remembering, reassessment, recommitment and rejoicing, concluded by a farewell statement and a call for greater unity.

Below is a suggested format for the Karamu program, from a model by Dr. Karenga.

Kukaribisha (Welcoming)
Introductory Remarks and Recognition of Distinguished Guests and All Elders.

Cultural Expression (Songs, Music, Group Dancing, Poetry, Performances, Unity Circles)

Kuumba (Remembering)
Reflections of a Man, Woman and Child.
Cultural Expression

Kuchunguza Tena Na Kutoa Ahadi Tena (Reassessment and Recommitment)
Introduction of Distinguished Guest Lecturer and Short Talk.

Kushangilla (Rejoicing)

Tamshi la Tambiko (Libation Statement) It is tradition to pour libation in remembrance of the ancestors on all special occasions. Kwanzaa, is such an occasion, as it provides us an opportunity to reflect on our African past and American present. Water is suggested as it holds the essence of life and should be placed in a communal cup and poured in the direction of the four winds; north, south, east, and west. It should then be passed among family members and guests who may either sip from
the cup or make a sipping gesture.

LIBATION STATEMENT
For The Motherland cradle of civilization.
For the ancestors and their indomitable spirit
For the elders from whom we can learn much.
For our youth who represent the promise for tomorrow.
For our people the original people.
For our struggle and in remembrance of those who have struggled on our behalf.
For Umoja the principle of unity which should guide us in all that we do.
For the creator who provides all things great and small.

Kikombe Cha Umoja (Unity Cup)
Kutoa Majina (Calling Names of Family Ancestors and Black Heroes)
Ngoma (Drums)
Karamu (Feast)

Tamshi la Tutaonana (The Farewell Statement)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

V, thanks for posting this.
There has always been a curious mix of awkwardness and joyfulness as we generally would be among the only white folks present. We have have always tried to be respectful as possible (including of the fact that Kwanzaa is a tradition designed for black people and that we are not black), and I think most people have accepted (with some unfortunate exceptions) that we have a genuine love and respect for them, their ancestors, and their cultures.
I grew up in a middle-class neighborhood that was approximately 90% African-American, and I attended middle and high schools that were something like 75% African-American. Thus it happened that I had many friends who celebrated Kwanzaa, and I was most appreciative of their willingness to explain and share the beauty of their tradition with me. In particular, when I was in middle school chorus, I was one of the few non-African-Americans present. After we sang a Christmas concert that was a 50/50 mix of Christmas and Kwanzaa music, I very much wanted to share in the Kwanzaa tradition, and I was thereafter welcomed into my friends' parents' Kwanzaa celebrations without the least regard for my non-black skin color. I found that most people were appreciative of my respect for and interest in their celebration, and I in turn was appreciative of their acceptance.

In particular, I have always loved the principles of Imani and Kujichagulia.

It's an incredible celebration, and its emphasis on belonging to family and belonging to community is something that people of many different cultures and belief systems can appreciate. Thanks again for honoring it here.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Great post, Voronwë. Thanks for adding this.

Thinking of your drumming experience, I was trying to imagine how I would feel if I went to a Jewish celebration with a Klezmer band, and none of the musicians were Jewish. (It's a lot easier to imagine non-Blacks attracted to African drums than it is to imagine non-Jews attracted to Klezmer music ... =:) ... although while living in Germany my daughter got all hooked on schlager music, so I guess there really is no accounting for taste!)

After flipping through a range of emotions I think I would end up with ... "hey, why aren't my people who own this tradition keeping it up?"

Has your performance ever inspired young African Americans to take up drumming?

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Tp, I thought you were African-American! Didn't you mention that somewhere, or am I delusional?
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Whistler, I'm Asian-American; both my parents are Indian immigrants. It's an extremely different minority experience than being African-American, from my discussions with my black friends on the subject.

To relate it to my Kwanzaa experience: I sensed instinctively that it was easier for my African-American friends' parents' to accept me because I was "at least a minority" - even so, there's always a strange mix of emotions when you discover that someone of a different race/ethnicity/culture is intensely interested in yours, regardless of the respect shown. I have felt it, when encountering non-Indians who are interested in, or who participate in, some aspect of Indian culture; I have experienced it from the other end when explaining my interest in Judaism to Jews-by-birth. I can't say why it happens, exactly. And I know it's frustrating to be on the receiving end of it.

That said, Jn, I've always LOVED Klezmer music, truly. One of my favorite non-religious parts of Jewish culture - although it's a pet peeve of mine when I go to the Reconstructionist synagogue near my parents' house to find that they have brought the local Klezmer band to play after Shabbat services on Friday night. ;)
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Tp, I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable in asking. I can understand why one would feel awkward even discussing such a subject.

But none of us, in this flawed and foolish world, experiences anything outside the picture that society paints of him based in his ethnicity. So I do take some interest in the backgrounds of fellow posters, simply because it helps me to understand their viewpoints more clearly, and to better appreciate why their views may be different from mine. What makes the matter somewhat more delicate in online chat is that we cannot see one another, and sometimes we (meaning those of us who are not minorities) stupidly assume that everybody else has traveled the same road that we have traveled. So sometimes we simply have to ask direct questions that might be too blunt outside the virtual world.

Again, apologies if I’ve touched a nerve. But I assure you that I am by no means overly interested in the matter, beyond what you’ve told us.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Whistler,

I wasn't bothered by your question in the least. I've referenced my ethnicity a few times where relevant, for precisely the reason you state: sometimes, being forthright about your background helps other posters to contextualize your perspective. There is a tendency in the online world to assume that people are white until proven otherwise; strangely, I often catch myself making this assumption.

But this:
sometimes we (meaning those of us who are not minorities) stupidly assume that everybody else has traveled the same road that we have traveled. So sometimes we simply have to ask direct questions that might be too blunt outside the virtual world.
It's true that only whites in the Western world have the "privilege" of assuming that everyone's experience mirrors theirs (and I use privilege in quotes because it is not a positive thing, but simply a faulty assumption, as you suggest.) However, failing to account for the full diversity of perspectives out there (of course, only in part a function of racial difference), is a mistake that many of us often make, irrespective of minority status. The online world brings together people rich in difference, and in so doing, forces us to question assumptions about other groups that we might hold. And that can only be a good thing. :)

My words regarding a "strange mix of emotions" concerned Voronwë's first paragraph and Jn's response; I wasn't referring to your question there. :)
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

tp: I've always LOVED Klezmer music, truly.

It's all yours!

:rofl:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

<goes off the google Klezmer soundfiles>

:shock:

:D

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Very interesting, Voronwë. :)
At least now I know why no one over here has ever heard of Kwanzaa - I only know the word from browsing hallmark e-cards.
Jny wrote:Thinking of your drumming experience, I was trying to imagine how I would feel if I went to a Jewish celebration with a Klezmer band, and none of the musicians were Jewish. (It's a lot easier to imagine non-Blacks attracted to African drums than it is to imagine non-Jews attracted to Klezmer music
I don't know, Jny.
With our choir, we sing 95% religious music, but I think that not more than one in ten of the choir members believes in anything.
It's true that I've often thought I'd feel silly singing all that religious stuff if it didn't mean anything to me, but I know that you can also just love the music without caring what it is about.
I love Klezmer music! :D It's quite popular here in general.
There's something thrilling about Jewish music, there's a touch of melancholy, even if it's cheerful, it seems. And clarinets rock anyway! :D
But I osgiliate - sorry. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Voronwë, knowing that ethnicity can still be a huge barrier to cross, I find it very remarkable that you have been asked to play at Kwanzaa ceremonies. 8)

And, actually, the seven guiding principles would be worth celebrating by everybody, regardless of ethnicity, nationality, or religion. :thumbsup:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Is KWANZAA celebrated in Africa?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not that I am aware of.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."