Intelligent Design in Schools

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Intelligent Design in Schools

Post by Alatar »

I thought there would be a thread on this already, but I couldn't find one.

Anyway, read the following and weep.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/ ... esign/#p3n
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

There are corners of my state where they think the Enlightenment is what happens when you flip that switch on the wall. Sorry about that.

The dingleb...legislator in question says he's a huge science buff, by the way.

:help:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Changing what words actually mean is certainly a novel approach to the problem. Think of all the disagreements we could solve with that tactic...
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

And now I have one more reason not to raise a kid in Missouri (as if chiggers weren't enough).
When you can do nothing what can you do?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The one redeeming feature of chiggers is that they can't digest what they bite out of humans, so even as you wish you would die, they do.

That's one more redeeming feature than the legislator in question has.

I'm not particularly concerned about it. There's always some yahoo proposing some version of an ID thing, and Monsanto always makes sure it doesn't make it out of committee, because it would be that much harder to attract scientists here. It's the one useful thing they do IMO, apart from fund my son's education via property taxes.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

How embarrassing.
:(
lazycat

Re: Intelligent Design in Schools

Post by lazycat »

Most of the furore regarding intelligent design as a concept that ought to be taught is that western society is still in reaction against
the deism that was popular in the Englightenment. Which became compulsory by Victorian times. This is why Egyptology, for example is so blinkered and hidebound. It is an intellectual discipline founded by people determined to prove the historicity of Biblical stories. Many of those prejudices are absolutely fundamental to it.

Many people want to blame the controversy over the notion of say, Intelligent Design are concerned about the revival of the sort of fundamntal Pentacostalism that was popular in conservative circles in the 1980s/90s.
The hyper-materialist epistemology, based in Democretean atomism and Epicureanism is something the upper crust of 2d entury Rome would recognize. The idea that there is any mindedness to the reality we inhabit is absolute anathema. Many fear that if we were to even take such a notion at all seriously, then we would be back to rule by theocrats, women would be confined to the home, &c.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Choosing between ID and Monsanto? Talk about Charybdis and Scylla.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Monsanto?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Look up to what Axordil wrote. Monsanto is standing firm against Creationism.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Scientists tend to stand against Creationism. Re-read ax's five year-old post and Stop being a concern troll.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yeesh. You people seem to dislike CG so much that you seem to interpret everything he says in the most negative light possible.

All he was saying is that if, like Ax's post suggested, the main thing keeping creationism out of schools in his state is Monsanto, then that is a terrible choice - Having to keep one bad thing around (Monsanto) in order to keep out a different bad thing (creationism).
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Are those literally the only choices?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I dunno, you'd have to ask Ax since he was the one who said Monsanto keeps creationism out of schools in his area and he doesn't show his face around here very often.
Last edited by yovargas on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Cenedril_Gildinaur

yovargas wrote:Yeesh. You people seem to dislike CG so much that you seem to interpret everything he says in the most negative light possible.
Thanks. Don't worry about it though.
-- Samuel Adams
lazycat

Post by lazycat »

Terence McKenna had some very interesting ideas about this topic. Evolution and science are not incompatible with disembodied, egregorial entelechies.