Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

narya wrote:What's Curunir the Not-so-White doing in there?
Presumably because he was a Maiar aligned with Aulë...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Those are wonderful! Kudos to your grandmother!

And that dessert is appropriate, as dragon-sickness is very similar to my chocolate-sickness...Must eat all of it.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Pssst, PtB, I don't think it is actually Elen's grandmother.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

But it might be!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:rofl: My grandmother will be 99 in May....but she was a great knitter...
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Don't be shy...

Amazing paper sculpture by Deviantartist FarTooManyIdeas who created this piece just from the pages of Tolkien's novel. It is a fantastic likeness of Smaug who is hunting for a tiny Bilbo who has managed to escape fron the book’s pages!
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And then there is this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kmallikarjuna/t ... -the-world
Lord of the [Coffee] Beans... :D
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

~Diana Cortes
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Now for something very different - LotR in Very Old Media. I saw these two plaques in the Rosicrucian Museum in San Jose, California. Am I the only one who sees LotR in these?

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Fascinating, narya! I wonder if Professor Tolkien knew about this like he did so many other cultures' mythologies....
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

An audio/visual interpretation of the Music of the Ainur:

http://youtu.be/nz9t38CpdXM
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elen - I loved the music in it!

And here's an amazing .gif on the Music of the Ainur!:

http://mirachravaia.deviantart.com/art/ ... -417186294

Also, since I can't see any other thread, Happy Tolkien Reading Day to ya fellas! :cheers:
Passdagas the Brown

narya wrote:Now for something very different - LotR in Very Old Media. I saw these two plaques in the Rosicrucian Museum in San Jose, California. Am I the only one who sees LotR in these?

Very fascinating! Tolkien does suggest, in one of his letters, that the dwarves do share characteristics of Semitic peoples from the Levantine region, but he never makes the explicit connection to actual human "dwarfs" in Egypt.

It is more likely that Tolkien's dwarves' skill with fashioning metals comes primarily from the depiction of dwarves in the Norse Eddas, Voluspa, etc., where they are small, unlovely creatures (usually quite evil and greedy) that craft great treasures from gold, etc (I believe they fashioned some of the key items and weapons of the Norse gods, including Thor's famous Mjolnir and Odin's famous Gungnir). Tolkien made the dwarves a lot nicer (and a lot more human), while retaining some of that wickedness and greed.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I don't know how I missed this the first time, but I just spent a delightful evening watching the LOTR triology ala LEGO. Just an hour and a half of the G-rated parts of LOTR, using the original voiceovers, mattes of original backgrounds, and highly flexible animated Lego people for all the characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_CvoG3nY3Q
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

Very fascinating! Tolkien does suggest, in one of his letters, that the dwarves do share characteristics of Semitic peoples from the Levantine region, but he never makes the explicit connection to actual human "dwarfs" in Egypt.

It is more likely that Tolkien's dwarves' skill with fashioning metals comes primarily from the depiction of dwarves in the Norse Eddas, Voluspa, etc., where they are small, unlovely creatures (usually quite evil and greedy) that craft great treasures from gold, etc (I believe they fashioned some of the key items and weapons of the Norse gods, including Thor's famous Mjolnir and Odin's famous Gungnir). Tolkien made the dwarves a lot nicer (and a lot more human), while retaining some of that wickedness and greed.
It wouldn't surprise me, however, if the Eddas drew on some of the Egyptian material!! :) These things get around! Just ask any folklorist.
Passdagas the Brown

Morwenna wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me, however, if the Eddas drew on some of the Egyptian material!! :) These things get around! Just ask any folklorist.
That's a great point - though I'm not sure if there's strong evidence of cross-pollination between Germanic and Egyptian mythology in the literature. Nonetheless, there are so many gaps in our knowledge of ancient and dark age peoples, that to quote Carl Sagan "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." There could very well be a connection, and its nice to think there is!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Popping in to note the title change on the thread. Alatar pointed out in the Geeks thread in Bag End that "LotR" might make people assume this thread was only for creative works related to LotR, or even more restrictively, the LotR films. When I responded that that hadn't been my intention at all, Elen suggested the new title. I'm phasing it in.

This thread is for creative works (in media other than film or text, or such was my intent, though anything interesting is welcome here) that are related to or set in Tolkien's Middle-earth. I think the candy Helm's Deep I introduced in the first post set the tone fairly well, although many serious, actually beautiful works have also enriched this thread.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King