Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

The genius Emil Johansso at lotrproject.com has made an interactive Map of Middle-earth:

http://lotrproject.com/map/
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Funnily enough, SV, that was what Alatar posted in Bag End that prompted the name-change for this thread! It really is very cool... :)

For those embarking on the road that goes ever on and on, how about these custom VANS from BBEE Shoes?

Just the thing for simply walking into Mordor! ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

But shouldn't Mordor be on the "sinister" foot? :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote:Funnily enough, SV, that was what Alatar posted in Bag End that prompted the name-change for this thread! It really is very cool... :)
Lemme be the first this time then, Elentári. ;)

As it happens, from Emil Johansson - who made the Middle-earth interactive Map last week:

"I was blown away by the response to my interactive map of Middle-earth last week. I immediately started working on one for Beleriand and here is the result.

Thank you to Shaun Gunner for his valuable advice and sharp eye when creating the map."

http://lotrproject.com/map/beleriand/#z ... rs=BTTTTTT

:love: What a genius geek!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

For some reason phpbb2 won't let me link directly to this type of url, so just go and click it:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8138404352/hB9CD435C/
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug's voice wrote:
Elentári wrote:Funnily enough, SV, that was what Alatar posted in Bag End that prompted the name-change for this thread! It really is very cool... :)
Lemme be the first this time then, Elentári. ;)

As it happens, from Emil Johansson - who made the Middle-earth interactive Map last week:

"I was blown away by the response to my interactive map of Middle-earth last week. I immediately started working on one for Beleriand and here is the result.

Thank you to Shaun Gunner for his valuable advice and sharp eye when creating the map."

http://lotrproject.com/map/beleriand/#z ... rs=BTTTTTT

:love: What a genius geek!
Ooh - missed this while I was away - thanks SV!

BTW, did you also see the link to this?

The Periodic Table of Middle-earth

Apparently it's been around almost a year but I've not seen mention of it before - absolutely brilliant!

(I'm going to post a link in the Geek thread too!)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Jude wrote:For some reason phpbb2 won't let me link directly to this type of url, so just go and click it:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8138404352/hB9CD435C/

Jude - ugghhh!!!
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote: BTW, did you also see the link to this?

The Periodic Table of Middle-earth
I have seen it. It's brilliant as well. Though Tom Bombadil should be between the s-bock and p-block. Like Hydrogen, he belongs no where. :D
Elentári

Re: Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Post by Elentári »

Thanks, SV, I enjoyed that!

Now for something..er... completely different...

Bag End Custom Engagement ring box by Paul Pape

~Diana Cortes
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Wouldn't a Gollum's Cave engagement ring box be more appropriate?

Or! Or! Or! Or what girl wouldn't be thrilled to open a box and find a reconstruction of Gladden Fields and the shores of the Anduin, with the papier-maché corpses of Isildur and his followers, along with a couple of dead orcs, and a lovely ring in the water?
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Thanks, Jude. Now my keyboard is coffee-flavored.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:clap:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh well, if you're looking to increase the puke geek factor, I'll raise you a pair of Lord of the rings wedding rings engraved in Elvish with “One ring to show our love, one ring to bind us, one ring to seal our love and forever entwine us.”

To complete the perfect LotR themed wedding how about either a Minas Tirith

or Aragorn & Arwen wedding cake?

Last edited by Elentári on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That Minas Tirith cake might be more impressive if it wasn't just the RotK Weta bookend on top of a normal cake!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You know, it wouldn't take all *that* much engineering to do a real Minas Tirith layer cake.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Elentári wrote:Oh well, if you're looking to increase the puke geek factor, I'll raise you a pair of Lord of the rings wedding rings engraved in Elvish with “One ring to show our love, one ring to bind us, one ring to seal our love and forever entwine us.”

The rings themselves are pretty, but they'll forever have to explain to every Tolkien reader and film viewer that they do know what the real Ring's inscription says and no, theirs don't say that. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

And "forever entwine us" sounds icky. Should have stuck with the original language on that one!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I never got why anyone would want to own a copy of the One Ring....particularly not as a symbol of their eternal love for someone! :scratch:
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Well, if you leave the meaning of the Ring (and what's written on it) aside, the script is quite beautiful.