Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Remember that interview Philippa gave not long after AUJ came out?

viewtopic.php?p=255847#255847

She said that they'd filmed how Gandalf got the map and key, and had planned to slot it into the Bag End sequence as a flashback, but that they'd cut it as it was "too much". We still don't know if it will be as the Prologue or later in DoS, though.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not sure that this exactly fits here, but it seems as good a place as any.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/nyreg ... =eta1&_r=1&
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Life-size Lego Bag End:

Bringing Bag End to Life

So cool! 8)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Gotta show that to my kids! Thanks Elen!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah, my youngest son is saving up for the Bag End set himself, and when I showed him this, he was like "Oh boy!!!!!" :drool:

:D
~Diana Cortes
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

:rofl: It will take him a while to save up for this version ;)

That was really cool. Wow!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That is simply awesome! :bow:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I moved the posts about the new Desolation of Smaug lego sets to the DoS anticipation thread since they have spoilers for that film. Here and here.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

And you guys complain about PJ?

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor from Monolith Productions is the latest game in the Lord of the Rings franchise from publisher Warner Bros. and the game graces the December issue of Game Informer.

The game is in development for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One and according to Game Informer, “offers a new chapter that fits comfortably between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.”

In it, players control a ranger by the name of Talion as he travels to Mordor, but long before it turned into the wasteland it was in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Talion’s family was murdered at the hands of Sauron and his army the night they return to Mordor.

Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.

Players will “shape their own story” as the game progresses, and it contains a feature called the Nemesis System.

This system “assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion.”

Warner said in the press release that “players will experience a unique game every time as the dynamic world reacts and adapts to their choices.”

Back in August, it was revealed that a new triple-A Lord of the Rings title was the works at Monolith Productions as early as December 2012 and January 2013 through storyboard work produced by an artist on the game.

The team at Monolirth has collaborated with Middle-earth Enterprises, Peter Jackson and the artists at Weta Workshop to ensure that the settings, characters and story align authentically within canon.

A release window was not provided.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

At least they're not calling it "The Hobbit" and trying to kid us it is all drawn from the Appendices... ;)
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Alatar wrote:And you guys complain about PJ?

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor from Monolith Productions is the latest game in the Lord of the Rings franchise from publisher Warner Bros. and the game graces the December issue of Game Informer.

The game is in development for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One and according to Game Informer, “offers a new chapter that fits comfortably between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.”

In it, players control a ranger by the name of Talion as he travels to Mordor, but long before it turned into the wasteland it was in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Talion’s family was murdered at the hands of Sauron and his army the night they return to Mordor.

Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.

Players will “shape their own story” as the game progresses, and it contains a feature called the Nemesis System.

This system “assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion.”

Warner said in the press release that “players will experience a unique game every time as the dynamic world reacts and adapts to their choices.”

Back in August, it was revealed that a new triple-A Lord of the Rings title was the works at Monolith Productions as early as December 2012 and January 2013 through storyboard work produced by an artist on the game.

The team at Monolirth has collaborated with Middle-earth Enterprises, Peter Jackson and the artists at Weta Workshop to ensure that the settings, characters and story align authentically within canon.

A release window was not provided.
That looks fantastic! :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I agree - if it's as good as the description.

Keep us posted!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Really? I think it sounds dreadful, and I love games!

You lived in Mordor when it was a nice place (between The Hobbit and LotR by the way) your family get murdered, and you get some sort of Wraith helper to gain vengeance? And people complain about Tauriel?
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I agree with Alatar. The story sounds awful - "Sauron killed my family" is like a Tolkien game copying second-rate Tolkien copycats. And he's "empowered with wraith abilities"? :|

And there will probably be a lot of bad invented history - would they even have the right to use material from the appendices with the movie license?
Last edited by kzer_za on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I very much agree with Al and k_z. :puke:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The concept sounds great, but not very much like JRRT. It is possible to be both. They should have filed the serial numbers off properly. :D
Passdagas the Brown

Alatar wrote:Really? I think it sounds dreadful, and I love games!

You lived in Mordor when it was a nice place (between The Hobbit and LotR by the way) your family get murdered, and you get some sort of Wraith helper to gain vengeance? And people complain about Tauriel?
Right, but why are we comparing a game to a major motion picture? Surely, the standards for storytelling and adaptation should be higher with the latter.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Why?
Passdagas the Brown

Alatar wrote:Why?
Good question.

First of all, let me say that I highly value good storytelling in games. I think the Turbine/WB team has done an admirable job of mining and respecting the lore with LOTRO, while providing interesting, expansive and immersive gameplay. They deserve a lot of credit, and I vastly prefer their vision of Middle Earth to Peter Jackson's (though I like PJ's Rohirrim designs better).

Second, I think games should primarily serve the purpose of providing a fun and rewarding gaming experience, while I believe film adaptations of beloved novels should aim for deep truths of some kind.

Thirdly, a game like this comes and goes with little impact on society. PJ's films, on the other hand, are quite pervasive. Some even call them "definitive," which I object to! But the point is that they matter to a lot of people.

Ultimately, I will not play this new WB-Shadow of Mordor game because it is so significantly at odds with Tolkien's work. Had they been a bit more respectful, I likely would have tried it. But I will not passionately criticize it, either, because I feel that the world of live-action cinema has a much greater potential to capture Tolkien's stories than the game-verse. I have never been completely awed, inspired or deeply moved by a game (though I have been awed), but that happens often with good films.

It's all subjective, though. You may feel very differently, and that's perfectly understandable. But just as I believe that a film and a book are two very different mediums, I also believe that a film and a game are two very different mediums. So I'm not comfortable with a one-to-one comparison between "Tauriel" and the storyline of what is essentially a throwaway game. Peter Jackson's movie-verse will be with us for a long time. This game will be forgotten before I finish this sentence.