"Children of Húrin" has been published...

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Within the next 20 years. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Within the next 20 years. :P
:shock: :shock: Stops searching online to find movie tickets for them :rofl:
Voronwë the Faithful

:headpat:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Shirrif's Note: Misplaced post moved to correct thread, and extraneous posts removed. —VtF
Voronwë the Faithful

This thought occurred to me this evening. I wonder whether CT will include anything about the part of the Second Prophecy of Mandos (which he omitted from the Silmarillion) in which Túrin "returning from the Doom of Men at the ending of the world" deals Morgoth his death blow. It certainly would provide a measure of satisfaction to balance out the tragedy of Tolkien's darkest Tale.

Probably not, eh?
Dân o Nandor on Anduin

Post by Dân o Nandor on Anduin »

Alas, probably not.

But we can cross our fingers! In fact I would give up a finger right now - one of the middle ones on my left hand, honestly - for CT to include it, preceded by The Wanderings of Húrin, and the last paragraphs of the Turambar and the Foalókë - Lost Tale (with names altered to be editorially consistent, of course):

"Then Húrin departed [Doriath], but would not touch the gold, and stricken in years he reached Hithlum and died among Men, but his words living after him bred estrangement between Elves and Men. Yet it is said that when he was dead his shade fared into the woods seeking Morwen, and long those twain haunted the woods about the Ravines of Taeglin bewailing their children. But the Elves of Tirion have told, and they know, that at last Húrin and Morwen fared to Mandos, and Nienor was not there nor Túrin their son. Turambar indeed had followed Nienor along the black pathways to the doors of Nienna, but Nienna would not open to them, neither would Mandos. Yet now the prayers of Húrin and Morwen came even to Manwë, and the Gods had mercy on their unhappy fate, so that those twain Túrin and Nienor entered into the Bath of the Setting Sun, even as Arien and her maidens had done in ages past before the first rising of the Sun. And so were all their sorrows and stains washed away, and they dwelt as shining Valar among the blessed ones, and now the love of that brother and sister is very fair; but Turambar indeed shall stand beside Eonwë in the Last Battle, and Morgoth and his dragons shall curse the sword of Mormegil."
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Vindication indeed!

But don't give up a finger for something you can do yourself :shock:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Copied from TORC front page, an interview with Adam Tolkien about the book. The English text is halfway down the page.

http://www.fantasymundo.com/articulo.php?articulo=439

Here's an interesting bit:
Many parts of the text are essentially the same as those that appear in other works (and particularly "Unfinished Tales"), other parts will be new except for those readers who have read in detail the History of Middle Earth.

The text as a whole can be said to be "new" as it is a recomposition of published texts and other "pieces" that weren't published previously. A completed puzzle, in a sense.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

It is now available for pre-order from Amazon.com. There are actually three different versions listed.

The regular hardcover lists just "J.R.R. Tolkien" as the author, says its 320 pages, and is listed at $17.16 (discounted from $26.00). http://www.amazon.com/Children-Húrin-J- ... F8&s=books

Then there is "The Children of Húrin: Deluxe Edition by J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien, and Alan Lee" which lists at $100. It also says it is 320 pages (both of them can't be right). No information on what makes it deluxe, but obviously it contains illustrations from Alan Lee that the regular version does not contain. http://www.amazon.com/Children-Húrin-De ... F8&s=books

Finally there is a listing described as "unknown binding" with no further information. Don't know what's up with that. http://www.amazon.com/The-Children-of-H ... F8&s=books
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Interesting V
Where's the paperpack edition though :scratch:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They won't put out a paperback until they've sold as many hardcovers as they can—probably not for six months or a year, S'wiz.

The cruel ways of publishers.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Primula Baggins wrote:They won't put out a paperback until they've sold as many hardcovers as they can—probably not for six months or a year, S'wiz.

The cruel ways of publishers.
:shock: wow meanies!
Oh well I'll just borrow the book from the library mwahahaha!!
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

A poster on TORC had the following cover art for the Children of Húrin Dutch edition"

Glaurung and Túrin outside Nargothrond!

BrianIs :) AtYou
Last edited by BrianIsSmilingAtYou on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Oooh, new Alan Lee artwork, always fun!
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Wow That's an amazing looking cover! :love:
Voronwë the Faithful

Very kewl!!!!11 8)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, my!

Oh my oh my oh my!

That's definitely the most thrilling Lee painting I've seen! :shock:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Gorgeous! Off to check Lee's site....
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Yes, I agree that that's the best I've seen of his work so far. Very faithful and exciting cover art.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That cover is just about perfect. Even if it's a bit of a "find a Túrin" kind.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!