The Silmarillion Discussion at The Hall of Fire

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

This goes back to CRT's editing choices. I wish he included more details, especially dialogue.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Siberian, forgive me for asking this, but have you read Arda Reconstructed?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Siberian, forgive me for asking this, but have you read Arda Reconstructed?
I'm planning to, although I haven't read all of HOME yet (only some bits and pieces).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've read AR twice, and have read only bits and pieces of HoMe. I was able to follow AR pretty well despite that. In fact it was, for me, a good introduction to just how complex a process the assembly of the published Silmarillion actually was. I had heard that; AR helped me understand it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

The only reason I ask is that your comment about Christopher's editing decisions made me think that you would be interested in it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

Siberian wrote: Does anyone else wish that JRRT had a lifespan of a Númenórean to complete his stories in its intended greatness?
I second (third, fourth?) Yovargas's "Hell Yes!" :D

But I would have settled for another ten years, if perhaps JRRT could have been inspired to finish expanded versions of certain tales (for eg. the Fall of Gondolin, or especially my favorite of all the Tolkien stories: Beren and Lúthien)

Siberian: I know you just finished the Silm, but if you read it again, with AR on one side and the HoMe on the other you can, in a way, achieve the expanded Silmarillion you're longing for! (It's well worth the effort!)
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Yes, and I'd love to know what really happened in Doriath :(
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm rereading the Sil along with AR. It's been quite interesting! I'd recommend it, Siberian.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Whoa, looks like Arda Reconstructed is Out of Stock on Amazon :(
Voronwë the Faithful

Barnes & Noble is probably your best bet right now.

Edit: unfortunately, they are no longer discounting it, I see. Bummer.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

I'm starting my re-reading of Arda with a re-reading of the Sil as of this Friday (teaching is done for me for 6 weeks!). Luckily I did get it through BN with the discount.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Voronwë the Faithful

Let us know how that goes, AJ.

AR is back in stock at Amazon, briefly. But they say they only have one copy left.