LotR Musical coming to London in June 2007

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

:rofl:

You wouldn't want so much of that story. It's just confusing. :P ;)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Dwarfs and fairies! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yeah, simplify folks, simplify....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In their defense, I have to agree. Staging "The Lord of the Rings" in a theatre simply isn't possible without compression and I'd prefer they tell a part of the story well than all of it badly. Even more so than film, theatre is a completely different medium.

I must confess, though, that I am the type of person who can appreciate a noble failure more than an unattempted one. People like CRRT who say "Its unfilmable" make me grit my teeth. Everything is worth the attempt, even if it fails.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I would agree, Alatar. I just found that particular comment a litte funny. Even though I squeal about PJ's changes, I think he did a swell job, and would much rather have the movies, than not.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

There are some nice shots of the characters posted on the web site:

Character Photographs - March 2007

Aragorn looks like he's wearing eye black. At least he's not wearing a Breathe Right nasal strip. :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Aragorn is a browncoat! :D

Looks like they are going for the PJ look. The movie visuals were stunning and all, so it's probably a good move.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm very impressed with the visuals so far. The exception for me would be Gandalf the Grey. His beard is a bit wispy for my liking. Gandalf the White looks great though. Overall I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I don't expect anyone to reproduce either the movies or the books onstage, but the interpretation and adaptation are part of what makes it interesting for me.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

First preview should be over by now. Waiting for the fan reviews. I think Press are forbidden to review a preview, if you get my drift.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I saw it in Toronto, so I can comment on these costumes in comparison to those.

In Toronto, they did not release images like this in advance, so it was hard to get shots of the costumes other than what the media put out.

Aragorn had eye-black in Toronto too, but it was directly under his eyes, so it looked like he was wearing granny glasses. :shock: Here, they've moved it down and to the sides a bit. The elves had the eye paint that Legolas sports - Legolas had black, Galadriel had gold, and most of the other elves had silver. Seems they've kept that the same, more or less.

The hobbits are likely wearing the exact same costumes, seeing as how Frodo and Sam are the same actors ;). Look the same, anyway. The two costumes that leap out as different are Treebeard and Galadriel. It might just have been lighting, but I don't recall the ents being so....green. They looked like guys with beards on stilts wearing non-descript brown trenchcoats - or ZZ Top on stilts.

And Galadriel...ummmm...okay.... I don't know what to say about her. I liked her outfit in Toronto. This one is a bit too....I dunno. As long as she sounds good, it's okay, but she looks like she should be holding one of those cigarette holders and saying "dahling" and such.
YouTube is blocked here at work, but I think this should have a shot of her in Toronto:
Rebecca Jackson Mendoza
It seems they have expanded her role in London, as well.

Boromir's outfit is the same, but in Toronto the actor was black. Gandalf looks much older here (Brent Carver is really too young to play Gandalf!) Aragorn and Arwen look pretty similar, though Aragorn's armor is different.

Legolas in Toronto
Gollum in Toronto

The Legolas they had in Toronto had a wonderful singing voice - he sounded awesome! The actor who played Gollum was outstanding, and they've kept him for London.

First fan review I found:
I will give my review tomorrow - have to get to work .. but it was fantastic ... few very minor quibbles are quite unterstandable in context of the form. I thought it was an intelligent adaptation and the special effects showed that "smoke and mirrors" can be more effective than CGI..... the balrog aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?p=518568
And a comment on the Toronto production:
The Lord of the Rings opens at the Princess of Wales. It cost $28 million. $27.9 million went to pay for Galadriel's hat. The rest went for the 17 elevators, leaving nothing for the book, music and lyrics. It showed. After it closes in September, Galadriel's Hat goes on sale on eBay and brings in enough to finance the London production. The Toronto Star
A collection of links
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Some reasons!