It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:56 pm 
Living in hope

There may be a thread like this already, and if someone points me to it I'll merge this with that. But I was at Costco today buying light bulbs and somehow found myself in the books section, and came across a boxed set of The Hobbit[/i and LotR, four pocket-sized volumes bound in leatherette. They're attractive little things (I [i]so totally wanted them!). I see that they've been around for a while, but I haven't happened to hear of them before.

The significant point is that they list for $50, and Costco has them for $29.99. If any U.S. person here has thought of getting them, this is a good price.

I didn't buy them. I bought the LED bulbs and chicken I came for. But I oh so wanted them. :drool:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/117 ... ed-set.php

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:46 pm 
Happy as a clam at high tide (when reading)

Oh!! I really should become a Costco member. We don't have one close to us (no space in the city), but I heard they deliver online orders now?

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.

Trouble began, and not for the first time, with an apple. (Terry Pratchett)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:44 pm 
Living in hope

Yes, they definitely do. We got our plasma TV there years ago, and bought it online even though there's a warehouse nearby, because they delivered it to our house for the same price we'd have paid to buy it in the store and wrangle it home ourselves.

We have learned to use our membership to buy just practical things, and we save enough on almost every visit to cover the membership fee.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King