Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, at least I gave you an honest reaction, not knowing it was your work! 8)

(I think you should have kept schtum a bit longer! ;) )
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Well, I posted it over 20 days ago, and since no one replied to it I already know their reactions!! ;) :D (and it isn't a bad thing)
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elen's right. I actually hated it. Was just being polite!

Kidding. I hadn't responded to it because I didn't see it until now. And though I prefer the art of Blok and Lee, I would actually consider purchasing a Smaug's Voice piece!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I never saw it before either. And I much prefer it to any of Cor Blok's work that I have seen.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Guys, stop comparing to Blok, for good or bad! He is a genius. It's unfair.

But, if you are being frank, then I am glad to know you liked it! :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Here's a new one.

Boromir's death.

Voronwë the Faithful

Very affecting.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I like that very much, SV...the silhouette idea is extremely effective. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Smaug's voice wrote:Here's a new one.

Boromir's death.

Keep it up, SV. I love this one.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I just saw both of your pieces for the first time, SV - love both of them!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

:oops: Mucho gracias!
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

I agree with Elentári.
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

I just discovered the works of Justin Gerard via reddit; he has a few Tolkien-related pieces on his website: Glorfindel and the Balrog, the Fall of Glorfindel, Smaug, and Glaurung and the Dwarf King. I particularly like the latter two (his rendition of dragons!), as the curved swords and Balrog models strike me as too obviously Jacksonian.
Elentári

Re: Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Post by Elentári »

Latest from Kimberly80...The Witch King and Éowyn:

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

That's .... different.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah...I like the icy shield maiden, but I'm not sure what to make of the WiKi - he's certainly creepy!
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

He looks too Elven to be a Man.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Not the mention the fact that he should be completely formless and invisible to mortal eyes beneath his cloak, not some kind of creepy, disintegrating zombie-elf.

I do quite like Éowyn, however.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It's a typical example of how hit and miss this artist can be...when she "gets it right" her work is stunning, but other times....

Even allowing for artistic licence, I still think there's no excuse for not using the author's description as the starting point, at least. Certainly for things like hair colour - the number of blond Fingolfins on the 'net is surprising, for example. :roll:
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yes—the cloaks concealing nothingness are far more frightening than any zombie manifestation.

Éowyn is nice, but rather conventional.

(We should put in autocorrections for some of the tough, diacritic-heavy Tolkien names. It could be an advertising point. "Try your next heavy discussion of the Silmarillion with HoF E-Z-Type[TM] brand Tolkien autocorrection! You won't forget your point while trying to remember the keyboard shortcut for circumflex!")
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King