Of LotR, Game of Thrones and recent 'criticisms' of Tolkien

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:shock: I'm getting dizzy. :spin:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:How else should superficial and/or condescending criticism be treated?

Though I disagree that GRRM is assessing Tolkien superficially...
Those two statements don't go together well.....I disagree as well which is why I bothered to bring it up.
Frelga wrote:And the criticism of the criticism of the criticism wasn't that much better.
Do you mean me saying I'm annoyed by the tone of some the responses in this thread? :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What bothers me is seeing -- yet again -- the posts of others being misrepresented. No one said -- or implied -- that Martin or anyone else is stupid, and yet that is what is accused. These types of misrepresentations make any kind of real discourse impossible, and are a big part of why I tend to stay out of these discussions.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You may have noticed I'm staying out of it also, as there is no discourse happening that I saw, merely righteous grandstanding.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Fine.
I was wrong to have started this thread and the discussion in the manner I did - however misinterprated it was by some - and truly regret to have done so. Blame on me.

I endeavor as well to stay out of such discussions.

PS: "Righteous grandstanding."
Alright, good.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

SV, you did nothing wrong, and it bothers me more than anything that you feel badly about it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Eh, I probably shouldn't have said anything.
Sorry, move along, nothing to see here.....
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Honestly, its not worth falling out with anyone over. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Bottom line: GRRM prefers mimesis over romance as a mode for fiction. Some here have a different preference. De gustibus non est disputandum. Next topic, please. ;)
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

yovargas wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:How else should superficial and/or condescending criticism be treated?

Though I disagree that GRRM is assessing Tolkien superficially...
Those two statements don't go together well.....I disagree as well which is why I bothered to bring it up.
Frelga wrote:And the criticism of the criticism of the criticism wasn't that much better.
Do you mean me saying I'm annoyed by the tone of some the responses in this thread? :scratch:
Understood. But though I disagree that GRRM is assessing Tolkien superficially, I do think that the articles SV posted in the OP assessed Tolkien not only very superficially, but also condescendingly. As such, I do not believe they merit serious consideration or respect.

SV may be presenting his argument a little stridently here, but I don't think he deserves the accusation of "righteous grandstanding," as Alatar put it. He's justifiably annoyed, IMO, at the kind of sneering attitude many Tolkien critics adopt.

That said, I think we should avoid hypocrisy by trying not to sneer too much at other fantasy authors, such as GRRM. While I think Tolkien is the far superior author, I understand GRRM's appeal.
Passdagas the Brown

axordil wrote:Bottom line: GRRM prefers mimesis over romance as a mode for fiction. Some here have a different preference. De gustibus non est disputandum. Next topic, please. ;)
And that's a wrap!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

To be clear, I didn't name anyone when I made that comment and it could have applied to several posters.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sigh. Kiss and make up?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:kiss:
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Alatar wrote:To be clear, I didn't name anyone when I made that comment and it could have applied to several posters.
Correct. Apologies for the mis-characterization. In any event, I don't feel that any posters here have been righteously grandstanding. If there's a defensiveness, it is likely a reaction to the sneering tone of some criticism.

But I agree that we, as Tolkien fans, should try to avoid treating fans of other fantasy authors the same way!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I suddenly feel a strong urge to righteously grandstand. =:)

I'll suppress it.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

When I grandstand, it is wickedly.
:devil:

This thread in a nutshell:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!