J.R.R. Tolkien's Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary!

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

J.R.R. Tolkien's Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary!

Post by Smaug's voice »

The Tolkien Estate has just signed with HarperCollins to publish for the first time Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary by J.R.R. Tolkien.
This book has been edited by Christopher Tolkien and will be published by HarperCollins on 22nd May 2014 and by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in the US.

http://www.tolkienbeowulf.com/
"The translation of Beowulf by J.R.R. Tolkien was an early work, very distinctive in its mode, completed in 1926: he returned to it later to make hasty corrections, but seems never to have considered its publication. This edition is twofold, for there exists an illuminating commentary on the text of the poem by the translator himself, in the written form of a series of lectures given at Oxford in the 1930s; and from these lectures a substantial selection has been made, to form also a commentary on the translation in this book."
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was just coming here to post this. I'm glad, although I wish that Christopher had let Mike Drout complete it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

One of the most exciting Tolkien publishing events since the Sil!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You know, I hate to admit it, but I just assumed it had been published way back when and gone out of print. I am pleasantly shocked to find it not so.
Voronwë the Faithful

Ax, it was originally supposed to be published more than a decade ago, edited by Michael Drout. For those who may be interested in what happened, go to this link, and read both of the two stories:

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/manuscript-found.php
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Most excellent...

Not very long ago, here in the Arthur thread, NEB expressed hope of seeing an edition by 2017. Bittersweet perhaps, but welcome news nonetheless.
Voronwë the Faithful

John Garth's preview in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/m ... CMP=twt_gu

He really captures why this is important, and why people should care.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Thanks for the link Sir V.

On a related note, and perhaps I'm not looking in the right places, I haven't seen any serious criticism on The Fall of Arthur and it's been almost a year since its release. I assume the same channels would generate some reflections on Tolkien's Beowulf if such channels exist. Any recommendations?
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

A review worth reading in my opinion.

Is Tolkien's Beowulf Translation Better Than Heaney's?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Interesting! Thanks SV!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I've got it in my greedy little hands. Will post a review eventually!