Radagast in The Two Towers?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Radagast in The Two Towers?

Post by Smaug's voice »

Suddenly Gimli looked up, and there just on the edge of the fire-light stood an old bent man, leaning on a staff, and wrapped in a great cloak; his wide-brimmed hat was pulled down over his eyes”

(”The Riders of Rohan”)

The old man stays silent and as Aragorn tried to approach him he was gone without any traces.
Gimli is quick to state that it is Saruman, but then Aragorn says “this old man had a hat not a hood” – unlike Saruman’s usual hooded appearance.

In the following chapters, when the three meet Gandalf, Gimli asks him if it was him (Gandalf) or Saruman that they saw to which Gandalf replies:

‘You certainly did not see me,therefore I must guess that you saw Saruman. ”

So, firstly. This old man had a hat and not a hood, and while it is not impossible but I find it unlikely for Saruman to be "hatted".

And then, why would Saruman be interested in three members of the Fellowship, who had nothing to do with the One Ring directly – unlike hobbits? Especially when he had more important plans a.k.a. making war on Rohan?

So, if it was not Gandalf and not Saruman, the only other option I find is Radagast.

Of course, I do not believe Tolkien ever said anything on this or even had this in mind when he wrote the chapter but I find it an interesting speculation. What are the counter-arguments for this, then?
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

An interesting theory. Saruman wandering here has always seemed out of place to me, because (as Treebeard clearly says) his Fangorn-walking days are over and because he doesn't seem to care that much that the heir to Gondor is around.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I don't see why it would have been Radagast. There's no strong reason to suspect that Gandalf's guess is wrong - it was probably Saruman. Though his Fangorn-walking days were over, according to Treebeard, he was very eager to get his hands on the Ring. And when the Uruk-Hai did not return, he may have felt compelled to take a look...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I admit it. It was actually me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I don't see why it would have been Radagast. There's no strong reason to suspect that Gandalf's guess is wrong - it was probably Saruman. Though his Fangorn-walking days were over, according to Treebeard, he was very eager to get his hands on the Ring. And when the Uruk-Hai did not return, he may have felt compelled to take a look...
Saruman near the Fangorn forest. That could be a dangerous situation for the wizard since the Ents and Huorns already know of his treachery and hate him. So one of the reasons he would want to avoid the place.

Also, if we are to consider that Saruman was concerned about the return of the Uruks; the Uruks were slaughtered in the night of February 29th, 3019 while the three saw this old man in the night of 30th February, just a day's difference. If Saruman was concerned about the return of the Uruks, I think he would have waited longer than a day before he himself sets out.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I admit it. It was actually me.
:P

Which one do you mean?
Voronwë from the First Age or Doug Kane from the present age?
I suspect the latter, as you do look like a wizard. Image
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I always suspected it was Gandalf, but that he was either still confused or had forgotten. Remember, he couldn't even recall his name at first.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I don't see why it would have been Radagast. There's no strong reason to suspect that Gandalf's guess is wrong - it was probably Saruman. Though his Fangorn-walking days were over, according to Treebeard, he was very eager to get his hands on the Ring. And when the Uruk-Hai did not return, he may have felt compelled to take a look...
Why would Saruman just leave the Three Hunters alone and not try to stop them, though? That's always seemed strange to me. Well, I suppose it's possible he knew Gandalf was around and wanted to avoid him.

Alatar's theory is good though.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Gandalf could be confused or forgetful - forgetting a previous nickname is one thing, but he seems quite definite that it was not him...

‘You certainly did not see me, therefore I must guess that you saw Saruman."

There is the possibility that it might have been Saruman disguised as Gandalf, not knowing that the Grey Wizard had fallen in Moria...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Or a phantom of Saruman. Or some other disguised spy of his.

Edited to add: or me!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Alatar wrote:I always suspected it was Gandalf, but that he was either still confused or had forgotten. Remember, he couldn't even recall his name at first.
I like this theory. Perhaps Gandalf was still in a sort of trance when he was sent back by Eru and was interacting with the Ents to gather the bits of knowledge he may have forgotten after his death.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Or a phantom of Saruman. Or some other disguised spy of his.

Edited to add: or me!
Correct me if I am wrong, but now it feels like you are ridiculing my post...
Voronwë the Faithful

No, just being a little silly, as I am wont to do at times. Though to be honest, I don't see much (or any) support for the idea that the old man was Radagast.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Obviously it was Tom Bombadil. Because ring-a-dong-dillo. :cannotpass:

Seriously, this has always bothered me a bit too.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:No, just being a little silly, as I am wont to do at times. Though to be honest, I don't see much (or any) support for the idea that the old man was Radagast.
If we count out Saruman then Radagast or Gandalf himself, to me, are the more prominent guesses. (Bombadil could have been really, but he does not go out of his country)

Anyway, I did not say Tolkien ever meant it this way.
But who do you think the man was? Saruman? Then what was he doing there?
Voronwë the Faithful

Smaug's voice wrote:But who do you think the man was?
I think it is purposefully meant to be ambiguous and unclear, to symbolize the blurring lines between Gandalf and what he has become, and Saruman, and what he should have been.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Smaug's voice wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:No, just being a little silly, as I am wont to do at times. Though to be honest, I don't see much (or any) support for the idea that the old man was Radagast.
If we count out Saruman then Radagast or Gandalf himself, to me, are the more prominent guesses. (Bombadil could have been really, but he does not go out of his country)

Anyway, I did not say Tolkien ever meant it this way.
But who do you think the man was? Saruman? Then what was he doing there?
But why are we counting out Saruman in the first place?

As V says, it was meant to be ambiguous.

But given Gandalf's comments - confused or not - the most likely candidate is Saruman, or a phantom of Saruman. He would have had the most interest in the slaughter of a bunch of Uruk-Hai on Fangorn's borders. Curious about the Ring, etc.

I've never fully decided on this question, but I'm now convinced that the old man was a phantom of Saruman's. Some manifestation of the wizard's far-seeing power.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

From "The Treason of Isengard":
I have found no other evidence to cast light on this most curious element in the tale; but it may be noted that in a time-scheme deriving from the time of the writing of 'Helm's Deep' and 'The Road to Isengard' my father noted of that night: 'Aragorn and his companions spend night on the battle-field, and see "old man"(Saruman).'
My vote would be for Saruman.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Good enough for me!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes