Best names in Tolkien?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Best names in Tolkien?

Post by Smaug's voice »

I recently started my re-read of the Silmarillion and I realised that one of the reasons why I really love the book is because of the many beautiful names there are in it, and in LotR and Hobbit too of course.
I mean, if Thingol was named Edward or something like that there would have been some major change in the experience of the reader.

So, which names you like from the books? I know, it's a long list. No need to try to come up with everything at once!

Fingolfin, for me, was one of my favorite names. It has a certain rhythm to it and is a "closed" name. And so is Fëanor.

I liked Thingol much better than Elwë, personally. Same for Elessar rather than Aragorn, though both are good.

And Morgoth. Hee, the name just reeks of evil, really. =:)
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Gil-galad. Hands down. The most evocative name in all of Tolkien's work, IMO.

Followed closely by Khazad-dûm and Zirak-zigil, which aren't character names, but I had to mention them.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Lúthien Tinúviel and Eru.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Adding to the previous: Eärendil and Glaurung.

ETA: Speaking of places. Alqualondë is my favorite. And Angbad too.
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Fëanor. It sounds like fire.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Bilbo Baggins.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I love the descriptive "afternames" Tolkien gives his characters, like Varda Elentári, Yavanna Kementári, Manwë Súlimo, Arwen Undómiel or Idril Celebrindal and, as Beutlin mentioned, Lúthien Tinúviel.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Túrin Turambar
Finrod Felagund
Glaurung
Thangorodrim
Númenor
Aragorn
Ungoliant
Annuminas (spelling?)
Erkenbrand
Minas Tirith
Galadriel

I could go on much longer, but that's probably enough. :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote:I love the descriptive "afternames" Tolkien gives his characters, like Varda Elentári, Yavanna Kementári, Manwë Súlimo, Arwen Undómiel or Idril Celebrindal and, as Beutlin mentioned, Lúthien Tinúviel.
Oh yes. Especially Celebrindal and Tinúviel.

What I also find interesting is the "transition" of names of geographical places in Middle-earth with the passage of time.

Like Baranduin to Brandywine. That sounds exactly how it would have been "colloqualized" (is there a better word?) in real world.
Any more such examples?
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

kzer_za wrote:Túrin Turambar
Finrod Felagund
Glaurung
Thangorodrim
Númenor
Aragorn
Ungoliant
Annuminas (spelling?)
Erkenbrand
Minas Tirith
Galadriel

I could go on much longer, but that's probably enough. :)
Thangorodrim. One of my all time favorites. That name is just a lyrical thunder, to be honest.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

What about some non-Elvish names?
PtB and V already mentioned three.

"Barliman Butterbur" always brings a smile to my face. (even now!)
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins has the right feel for her personality (try saying it out loud!)
Passdagas the Brown

Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror. Now that's alliteration!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Tom Bombadil. Just like the character, the name seems plain and has a hauntingly familiar and yet mysterious ring.

Also, Samwise Gamgee.

For places, Mirkwood. Exactly what it says on the label.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've always loved "Withywindle" and talking of alliterations, there are many place names that trip off the tongue - Mirrormere, High Hay, Dimril Dale, Dwarrowdelf, River Running...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Folca

Post by Folca »

Folca (obviously)
Théoden
Thorin
Durin

Helm's Deep
Meduseld
Mirkwood
Moria
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Meduseld sounds good on its own, but every time I see it I immediately think of "Medusa." This is the only Tolkien name I can think of that has this sort of unintentional allusion to something completely unrelated.
Gorthaur the Cruel

Re: Best names in Tolkien?

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

Smaug's voice wrote:I recently started my re-read of the Silmarillion and I realised that one of the reasons why I really love the book is because of the many beautiful names there are in it, and in LotR and Hobbit too of course.
I mean, if Thingol was named Edward or something like that there would have been some major change in the experience of the reader.
I think this is an important observation. Of course* Thror, Thrain and Thorin (and Gandalf) (and most other of Thorin's posse) were lifted directly from the Edda but the majority of names for people and places are of Tolkien's own invention. One of the chief reasons I struggle with other fantasy writing (or Swords and Sorcery) is because their invented names seem fake. Because of his expertise and expansive knowledge and experience in philology and of ancient texts, he knew how to make a name seem real, or how to make a word feel like a name. I think this is his primary tool for establishing and maintaining verisimilitude in his works.

*i.e. I'm new so I might state the obvious sometimes and come off as supercilious, which (of course) I want to avoid.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't think that comes across as supercilious at all. On the contrary, I think it is an excellent point, and I agree wholeheartedly.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Khudzûl is my favorite of Tolkien's languages, though it is far less developed than his elvish idioms.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.