Tolkien Studies

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Tolkien Studies

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I thought we had a thread for this journal, but I don't see it. Anyway, David Bratman, the newest co-editor of the premier Tolkien journal, has announced the content of this year's volume, and it sounds great:

Tolkien Studies 10 (2013)
•Claudio A. Testi, "Tolkien's Work: Is it Christian or Pagan?: A proposal for a 'synthetic' approach"

•Nils Ivar Agøy, "Vague or Vivid?: Descriptions in The Lord of the Rings"

•Hope Rogers, "No Triumph without Loss: Problems of Intercultural Marriage in Tolkien's Works"

•Thomas Honegger, "My Most Precious Riddle: Eggs and Rings Revisited"

•Michael Organ, "Tolkien's Japonisme: Prints, Dragons and a Great Wave"

•Renée Vink, "'Jewish' Dwarves: Tolkien and anti-Semitic stereotyping"

•Derek Shank, "'The Web of Story': Structuralism in Tolkien's 'On Fairy-stories'"

•Benjamin Saxton, "Tolkien and Bakhtin on Authorship, Literary Freedom, and Alterity"

Notes and Documents •Kris Swank, "Tom Bombadil's Last Song: Tolkien's 'Once Upon A Time'"

Book Reviews •An Hobad, translated by Nicholas Williams, and Hobbitus Ille, translated by Mark Walker, reviewed by Harley J. Sims

•The Quenya Alphabet, edited by Arden R. Smith, reviewed by Edith L. Crowe

•The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, reviewed by Sarah Beach

•Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, by Corey Olsen, and There and Back Again, by Mark Atherton, reviewed by Jason Fisher

•Green Suns and Faërie, by Verlyn Flieger, reviewed by John D. Rateliff

•The Broken Scythe, edited by Roberto Arduini and Claudio A. Testi, reviewed by John Garth

•A Hobbit Journey, by Matthew Dickerson, and A Hobbit Devotional, by Ed Strauss, reviewed by Donald T. Williams

•Merlin DeTardo, "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2010"

•Rebecca Epstein, David Bratman, and Merlin DeTardo, "Bibliography (In English) for 2011"

http://kalimac.blogspot.dk/2013/05/tolk ... ement.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Tolkien Studies

I guess this makes it real.
Tolkien Studies 18: an announcement
On behalf of myself and my co-editors, Michael D.C. Drout and Verlyn Flieger, here are the expected contents of volume 18 of the journal Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review. All of the works are now in the hands of our publisher, West Virginia University Press, and the volume is scheduled to be published in softcover and on Project MUSE later this year. - David Bratman, co-editor

Tolkien Studies 18 (2021)

John D. Rateliff, "Richard C. West, 1944-2020"

Douglas A. Anderson, "Richard C. West: A Checklist"

Yvette Kisor, "'The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun': Sexuality, Imagery, and Desire in Tolkien's Works"

Curtis A. Weyant, "'A translator is not free': J.R.R. Tolkien's Rules for Translation and Their Application in Sir Orfeo"

Josh B. Long, "Faery, Faith, and Self-Portrayal: An Allegorical Interpretation of Smith of Wootton Major"

Magne Bergland, "'This gift of freedom': The Gift of Ilúvatar, from Mythological Solution to Theological Problem"

Douglas C. Kane, "Túrin the Hapless: Tolkien and the Sanctification of Suffering"

Joshua T. Parks, "Speculative Mythology: Tolkien's Adaptation of Winter and the Devil in Old English Poetry"

Stentor Danielson, "'To trees all Men are Orcs': The Environmental Ethic of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The New Shadow'"

Michael A. Moir, Jr., "'What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!': Gandalf the Wandering Deconstructionist in The Hobbit"

Dennis Wilson Wise, "Depth, Globalization, and the Domestic Hero: The Postmodern Transformation of Tolkien's Bard in Peter Jackson's Hobbit Films"

Notes and Documents

Amber Dunai, "Wið or mid? A Glimpse into Treebeard's Diachronic Perspective"

Book Reviews

The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien: The Places That Inspired Middle-earth, by John Garth, reviewed by Matthew A. Fisher

Tolkien’s Modern Reading: Middle-earth Beyond the Middle Ages, by Holly Ordway, reviewed by Zachary D. Schmoll

Utopian and Dystopian Themes in Tolkien’s Legendarium, by Mark Doyle, reviewed by Jay Rimmer

Tolkien’s Cosmology: Divine Beings and Middle-earth, by Sam McBride, reviewed by Alyssa House-Thomas

Music in Tolkien’s Work and Beyond, edited by Julian Eilmann and Friedhelm Schneidewind, reviewed by David Bratman

J.R.R. Tolkien: A Guide for the Perplexed, by Toby Widdicombe, reviewed by David Bratman

David Bratman, Kate Neville, Jennifer Rogers, Robin Anne Reid, Jason Fisher, John Wm. Houghton, and John Magoun, "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2018"

David Bratman, "Bibliography (in English) for 2019"
http://kalimac.blogspot.com/2021/05/tol ... ement.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Looking forward to reading that Kane guy. He sounds smart ;)

But I am also intrigued by the take on Bard and globalization.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I am also particularly excited about the pieces by Josh Long, Magne Bergland, Stentor Danielson and Michael Moir.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Where is this periodical available?
Voronwë the Faithful

It is available from the publisher, West Virginia University Press: https://wvupressonline.com/journals/tolkien_studies

For those who have access (mostly through university accounts), it is available online through Project Muse: https://muse.jhu.edu/journal/299

I have also found Tolkien Studies pieces online at https://www.deepdyve.com/ (I can also provide a copy of my piece to anyone interested who can't find it elsewhere, once it is published.)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The Muse links works for me. I work at a university. :banana:
Voronwë the Faithful

👍
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Congratulations!
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks!
Voronwë the Faithful

I received the proof pages for my paper today, which gave me a bit of a thrill. Unlike with my previous paper that was published ten years ago in Tolkien Studies they sent proofs of the entire issue, which is meaty 310 pages! A lot of good stuff in there, and I'm quite excited to be a part of it.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

If you want me to put a copy editor’s/reader’s eye on your section, let me know.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

I appreciate the offer, but since "corrections should be limited to typos and errors of fact only" and "there should be no stylistic changes, word substitutions, or other editing at this stage, and corrections cannot affect pagination" I'm not sure how helpful it would be. I suspect that your red pencil would be too active.

ETA: That having been said, if you want to read through it with those constraints, maybe you will catch something that I missed.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sure! Not that I will be able to catch any factual errors…
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

I emailed it to you. Let me know if you don't receive it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Just received not one but two copies of the hard copy of Tolkien Studies, Volume 18 in the mail. It doesn't seem to be up at Project Muse yet, though.
Voronwë the Faithful

The issue is now available at Project Muse, for those who either have an account, or are interested in purchasing a digital copy for $60.

Tolkien Studies, Volume 18, 2021

You can also purchase just a copy of my paper for $20, but that's an awful lot to spend on one paper. If anyone is interested in reading the paper but do not have access to Project Muse (and don't want to purchase the full issue either digitally or as a hard copy, let me know and I will provide you with a copy.