Mythcon 42

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wrote:She also had a suggestion for me, but I will keep that to myself, at least for now.
I ended my report on last year's Mythcon with this cryptic comment, which I can now elaborate on further. The suggestion that Verlyn had made to me was that I consider submitting the paper that I presented to Tolkien Studies (of which she is one of the editors) for consideration for publication. I did end up doing so, and after an extended process and may rewrites, including several title changes, it eventually was accepted for publication in Tolkien Studies, Volume 9, under the title "Law and Arda". The issue is now complete and is available online for anyone with access to Project Muse (mostly through universities).

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/tolkien_st ... tks.9.html

The printed edition will be available through the West Virginia University Press some time next month:

http://wvupressonline.com/journals/tolk ... s/volume_9
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You sly dog—I didn't pick up on this from reading your post in the Arda Reconstructed forum!

Congratulations! :hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Wow, congrats, V!!!!
:bow:
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'm going to Mythcon today. Anyone else going?
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Sorry, no, I am not. It appears that plans to attend the banquet were dropped after Voronwë's book wasn't chosen to be a finalist. :(

I hope you have a wonderful time, though. :)