It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fan Fiction
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:34 pm 
of Vinyamar

I've never really got into the whole Fan Fiction thing, but I've read a few nice pieces, including one by Truehobbit. I just came across this today, though. Its unusual in that its Fanfic by a well known author, which is what attracted me in the first place.

This was written by Marion Zimmer Bradley when she was younger, as is mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

Quote:
Bradley took an active role in science-fiction and fantasy fandom, promoting interaction with professional authors and publishers and making several important contributions to the subculture. In 1966, Bradley became a cofounder of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and is credited with coining the name of that group. In the 1970s, as part of the contemporary wave of enthusiasm for J. R. R. Tolkien's fictional world of Middle-earth, she wrote two short fanfic stories about Arwen and published them in chapbook format; one of them, "The Jewel of Arwen", also appeared in her professional anthology The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley (1985), although it was dropped from later reprints.

http://www.timelineuniverse.net/MiddleE ... fArwen.htm
I really like this one. I think its well written and captures the characters well, and also does a nice job of matching Tolkien's writing style.

http://www.timelineuniverse.net/MiddleE ... fArwen.htm
This one is a little more ambitious, and I think she pulls it off pretty well, right up until her attempt to explain black breath as radioctive isotopes. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:41 pm 
Feeling grateful

Thanks for bringing this up, Al. Not surprisingly, the publication of these stories has caused a bit of controversy in some quarters. I haven't read them, so I can't comment on their quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:45 pm 
Best friends forever

Not bad. I sorta liked the first one, but it was a bit repetitive. She caught the flavour of the thing quite well.

That was something I just could not do. I wrote reams and reams and reams of fanfic but it never read like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:40 pm 
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Someone linked to those stories some years ago on TORC, and I already read them then. They were surprisingly much in spirit with the LOTR.

Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu