"Beauties which pierce like swords"

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

"Beauties which pierce like swords"

Post by Pearly Di »

To quote CS Lewis, from his famous review of FOTR in Time and Tide, 14 August 1954. (The article was called 'The Gods Return to Earth'. You can read the whole thing in 'Of This and Other Worlds', collected essays by CS Lewis, published by HarperCollins.)

There are so many beautiful, moving, sad, uplifting, powerful passages in Tolkien.

I've often read the Lothlórien chapters because they are so beautiful. Their beauty comforts me.

Come share your favourite quotes in this thread. :) The ones that move you the most ... for whatever reason.

Here is one of my favourite passages from The Silmarillion. The majestic, almost biblical, beauty of Tolkien's prose is as clear and pure as crystal.

He walked in the deserted ways of Tirion, and the dust upon his raiment and his shoes was a dust of diamonds, and he shone and glistened as he climbed the long white stairs. And he called aloud in many tongues, both of Elves and Men, but there were none to answer him. Therefore he turned back at last towards the sea; but even as he took the shoreward road one stood upon the hill and called to him in a great voice, crying:

'Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!'

And here are the opening lines of the Anglo-Saxon poem that was Tolkien's original inspiration, so long ago:

Eala Earendel engla beorhtost
ofter middangeard monnum sended!

Translation:
Hail, heavenly beam, brightest of angels thou,
sent unto men upon this middle-earth!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Great idea for a thread Pearly Di. So great that I already did so once before. :P

Memorable Lines and Short Passages

But your title is much better then mine was. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Oops. :D

Well, I'm happy for my thread to be merged. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

If only we could do that! It would be a most useful function to have, believe me. Then we wouldn't have to sweat bullets every time we do the un-do-able splitting of a thread. :scarey:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.