Pauline Baynes passes away

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Pauline Baynes passes away

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

An important figure in the Tolkien universe has joined the realm of the ancestors (or perhaps has gone to the Halls of Waiting).
Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull wrote:We've just had the sad news that Pauline Baynes, the esteemed artist, illustrator of Tolkien's Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book, Smith of Wootton Major, Bilbo's Last Song, etc., and of Lewis's Narnia books, passed away a few days ago at her home in Surrey. She would have turned 86 next month.
A sad loss, but she will continue to live on through her wonderful illustrations, which provided the perfect complement for many of Tolkien shorter (but still beloved) pieces of fiction.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Yes, a sad loss but as you mentioned Vornowe she will live on in the works she has left, and in the memories of those that loved her.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Andreth

Post by Andreth »

I always thought her style looked like the medieval illumated manuscripts I've seen. Lovely and delicate. My mom based a masquarade costume off her illustration of Jadis from the Magician's Nephew. She will be missed.
Wes ðū hāl
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I never met Pauline professionally but an editor I used to work for had a good working relationship with her. :)

To me, Pauline was Narnia. 8)

Tolkien loved her illustrations too. I agree with Andreth on their delicate medieval quality.

Rest in peace, good lady!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm sorry to hear this (though of course 85 is a ripe old age). Her illustrations for Narnia are beautiful but matter-of-fact; her mythical creatures look possible and "real." And there is nothing childish or sentimental about the drawings.

I have no doubt that her work contributed greatly to the books' success, where a lesser artist might actually have done them harm.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Pauline Baynes' drawings were a part of my childhood; they even inspired me to attempt my own illuminated-manuscript-type illustrations.

I'm sad to hear she is gone.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

The Narnia drawings are a lovely and essential part of the world for me. How often did I come back to them and try to find clues about the color of Susan's or Lucy's hair? :)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

And just today I noticed that the drawings in my Narnia books were by Pauline Baynes, and I thought, well, no wonder that's what came to mind first when thinking of something to praise in those books.

Thanks for the info, Voronwë, although it's sad. :(
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

One of my favorite books when I was small, even before I discovered The Hobbit, was a volume called "St George and the Dragon", which was a retelling of Canto 1 of the Faerie Queene. But what I loved about it, and why I got it out of the library time after time, were the wonderful mock-woodcut illustrations.

It was only long, long afterwards that I learned they were by Pauline Baynes.

Link

Edited by Prim at 8:51 PDT to put long link behind a cut.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Soli, really long links stretch the page for people, so when possible would you mind posting them by typing

[ url= http:/bighugeurl.com]Whatever link name you want[ /url]

without the spaces inside the brackets? Thanks!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I've only seen Baynes's Tolkien illustrations before, but many of them were among the best. Sad to hear about her passing.

The St. George illustrations are very nice, just like from some medieval manuscript.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I've had one of Pauline Bayne's works as my signature for quite some time. (Old Badger-brock from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.) When I was a teenager I had her well-known illustrated map of Middle-earth displayed on the wall of my bedroom. A few years ago I purchased I purchased a book of her illustrations for Bilbo's Last Song.

Yes, it is sad when someone passes, but at least from casual appearances it would seem she lived a long life making a living from something she loved doing. I wish that all of us could be so fortunate.

Thank you, Ms. Baynes, for sharing your gifts with us.