Scoring The Children of Húrin

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
solicitr

Scoring The Children of Húrin

Post by solicitr »

While we all know that no film of The Children of Húrin is going to made in any proximate decade, we also 'knew' way back when that no film of the LR was going to be made. That didn't stop us from dream-casting it- in fact it freed us (at least in my college house) to include dead actors as well (Peter Lorre as Gollum- YESSS!).

Back when we also offered score suggestions from existing music. So I thought it might be fun to toss around pieces that would work for various scenes in a hypotheital CoH soundtrack.

To start the ball rolling, I see the opening credits over the iron fanfare that begins Mahler's Fifth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cwbGBFyEQ
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

I have to include elements of R. Vaughan Williams 5th Symphony in D Major. If your unfamiliar then here is a link, just scroll down and you can listen to parts of the symphony:

http://www.rvwsociety.com/soundsmps/symphsounds.html

Specifically I can see the Scherzo: Presto misterioso as Túrin and Beleg and the Outlaws establish their base and attack Morgoth's creatures.

The Romanza: Lento reminds me of when Túrin/Turambar finds Nienor and they fall in love.

Finally the Passacaglia: Moderato could be used for the meeting of Húrin and Morwen at the grave of their children and Morwen's death.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Erunáme

Re: Scoring The Children of Húrin

Post by Erunáme »

solicitr wrote:To start the ball rolling, I see the opening credits over the iron fanfare that begins Mahler's Fifth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cwbGBFyEQ
Really? Interesting choice. Even as a trumpet player who's attempted to play that line (it's pretty much THE orchestral excerpt for trumpet players), it doesn't fit a movie very well to me.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Well, Eru (speaking as a 'bone player)- what I envision is the opening credits- a dark screen, with each element of main-titling coming up to each trumpet phrase- with the title itself* lighting up the screen synched to that first tutti explosion. I suppose not unlike the original Superman, or Doyle's score for Henry V.

*which, when I first thought of this, I coceived as "Turambar"