Could Sam have done it?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Could Sam have done it?

Post by superwizard »

Hey everyone :)

I know I haven't been posting very often on this board these days but actually I do come here quite often. It just is the case that most of the time I feel that I really don't have much to contribute and end up not really posting. Don't worry I already know that you guys will jump up and say that that's utter rubbish and that I should post more often and I really appreciate it and I think with time I will hopefully resume posting frequently. :)

Well anyways today (or tonight rather) I do feel like I have something to contribute and that is this simple question: Had the burden fallen on Sam do you think he would have been capable of travelling all the way to Mount Doom and destroying the Ring?

Sure this question could have be asked about practically anyone but seeing as we already know Sam was able to travel to Mount Doom and that he also was able to (at least temporarily) resist the power of the Ring quite well that he already has quite a strong case.

Personally I am quite ambivalent about the issue. On one hand it does seem that given his strength and his resolve that it would have been possible but on the other he was never really used to being in the forefront and I think the weight of the matter might be too much for our loyal Sam to handle. Of course one can argue that such an experience might have changed him and made him more 'Frodoish' but that (as does this whole thread in fact!) lies in the realm of speculation.

So what are your wise thoughts on the issue?