Music, classical or otherwise, for LOTR

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I have enjoyed this thread!

I am not sure which Rachmaninoff piece solicitr means. I've looked around but can't seem to find an exact match.

Prelude in G minor, Op. 32, No. 12.

Prelude in G minor, Op. 23, No. 5.

:help:

Personally, I think the second one fits better.

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The second one sounds surprisingly Latin to me, Lali! In fact, if you'd told me it was written by Ernesto Lecuona, I'd have believed it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, I can definitely believe that.

I'm not sure it's the one solicitr was referring to; I don't think it quite fits the scene (imo), but it fits it better than the first one (also, imo).

Lali
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Sorry, that should have been Op. 23 no. 5.

:oops:

Here, the late nonpareil Emil Gilels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9idfQVkqKyw

Although the version that was burned into my young brain was an orchestrated performance by Fredereck Fennell and the Eastman-Rochester.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh my goodness. That is just so unbelievable! :shock:

(I SUCK as a pianist! :bawl: )

And I rarely remember opus numbers or anything. I think I'm doing well if I remember the composer. :blackeye:

Lali
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Holy crap. I don't even really like classical music and even I thought that was pretty amazing!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I'll have to listen to the music samples after I get home, my work computer doesn't have any proper loudspeakers. :(

Parts of Stravinsky's Rites of Spring always remind me of the great battles of the First Age, but maybe they could be used for Pelennor, for example.

Also, I could see the Autumn and Winter parts of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons used for the LOTR - they aren't as overused as the Spring part. Got to listen to them again, and think where they could fit. :)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Patrick Gowers, Viri Galilei for the bits where Gandalf the White appears.

*searches for some sort of an mp3 file or something*

*fails*

It's absolutely incredible. It starts out of nothing with one organist playing little twinkly bits, and then a really really quiet little fanfare by the other organist, then the choir come in with a sotto voce "Alleluia", and it sort of builds in texture with the main organ playing really rich chords. Then it has a bass solo, and it builds up to this enormous, repeated "Alleluia" in something like 18 parts (two 8-part choirs and 2 soloists) while the organs are doing amazing things. There're two chorals, followed by syncopated "Alleluias", and then it dies away into a final sustained "Alleluia" that's really really quiet again.

I realize that the text may not be suitable for LoTR, but the music itself is perfect, IMHO.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I found a 30 second clip of it on iTunes. It sounds beautiful but hard to get a full picture of something with only 30 seconds.

Rowan, those are good suggestions.

Lali
kams

Post by kams »

I am hoping for liberal use of percussion.

Shore used chains and sheets of metal in LOTR, I would like that and more in the Hobbit. Elemental, primitive (meaning prime, first). Anything that would convey the very earthy living of the hobbits and the cave-dwelling life of Smaug, as examples.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Percussion in The Hobbit? Certainly! Del Toro should hire Voronwë and Beth to play drums during the battle scenes.

For that matter, Teremia's violin would be lovely at Rivendell -- perhaps her talented children could join her. I'd be happy to add Celtic harp at the proper moments. Surely Crucifer could contribute, as well as many others who hang out around here.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

*imagines Voronwë in a grass skirt in Druadan forest*
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<refuses to imagine Voronwë in a grass skirt in Druadan forest>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I can play clarinet or pennywhistle! Just let me know! :)

<likes to imagine people in grass skirts>

<would make Photoshop image if had time>

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I used to play the viola, my brother plays bagpipes, and Mr. Prim can play the accordion, with bellows shake.

We don't do musicales at family get-togethers, though—not after the SWAT team incident.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Howard Shore doesn't know what he's missing...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, except for my family, he actually is missing something good. :)
kams

Post by kams »

I think we should assemble and audition to play the Dwarves tune after they all meet at Bilbo's.

I can sing like a dwarf.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Zadok the Priest without the words, for the Coronation of Aragorn, perhaps.

Elgar's Introduction and Allegro for the first view of Rohan.

Neptune from the Planets for Galadriel.