Hobbit dollhouse

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Oh! It scrolls! :oops: Thanks, kams. :)

I may have to get my daughter to make one of those Ranger steins, too. :)
kams

Post by kams »

No problem, Maria. (I hope your daughter makes a mug for you.)

WampusCat wrote:So you would say that young kams was overcome by mizzleborf?
Or that life mizzleborfed kams?
Any way you like it, sweetie. I'll share. :hug:

More on the hobbit house...
http://community.livejournal.com/little ... 30571.html
This link shows her pre-Beg End days when the hobbit rooms were on a bookshelf.

I remember making a mini-room on part of a bookshelf (again, as a teen). Nowhere near as realizstic or detailed. I just collected up my teensy things and set them out. It had books with the smallest writing I could cram in, and a TV. [straining to remember... I think the TV was a cereal box prize. If you pushed a button in the back, Tony the Tiger or some such would be on screen.] I made a couch out of a cardboard Jello box and propped up a small skateboard next to it. A very cool lounge pad, it was. 8)

Nothing of it remains. If it wasn't for this thread, the memories would have been gone too.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Awww, sounds cute. :)

My daughter tells me she cannot make a solid orb of a palantír. It would explode when fired. She cannot even make a hollow one with no opening- expanding air would break it.

She can do a hollow orb, with an opening on one side, and have the opening be the base of the piece. I wonder if those ones in the link are done that way?

A carved stone sphere would be better, I think, for a palantír. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My palantír is a solid glob of cobalt-blue glass with bubbles inside. Doesn't match the book or the film, and it's only about five inches through. But it's got a satisfying heft, and it gives the impression of mysterious depths when I look into it.

A local art form is based on those hollow round Japanese fishing floats that used to wash up regularly on Pacific beaches. Those were plain bluish or greenish glass, irregular and wavery. The new ones are smooth and frosted or glazed in fascinating colors, and some of them look Palantírish to me. They're light and look fragile.

They must not be, though. The fashion started when a local glass artist made about a hundred of them and released them offshore over the course of several weeks for beachcombers to find. Most of them did turn up.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
theduffster

Post by theduffster »

Oh, I love this so much!! :love:

The thing is, Rebecca bought a really nice dollhouse years ago. She paid like $200 for it, and furnished it a bit, and played with it, and then well, pretty much outgrew it. She wanted to sell it at a garage sale and I bought it from her. (I really hated to see it go for a fraction of what she paid, and this way it stays in the family.)

It sits in my living room, no furniture, no anything. It's just...there. Waiting for someone to start furnishing it. Now, the doorways and windows are not round, but I could still keep a hobbit theme, right?

Or...wait...maybe it could be elvish?? (gasps) It could be Rivendell! If you imagine Rivendell being a Victorian mansion!
kams

Post by kams »

theduffster wrote:Or...wait...maybe it could be elvish?? (gasps) It could be Rivendell! If you imagine Rivendell being a Victorian mansion!
Oh, yes I can!! You'd better get crackin'. I want to see what it looks like.
Maybe I could rummage around and find some teensey things to help furnish it with.

Did you take a look at those tiny bricks in the Hobbit Dollhouse? I'd only need about 276,480 of them to floor my dining room (assuming 0.5 by 0.5 inch). [yeeks! *I'd* better get crackin' if that is what I want]
kams

Post by kams »

ran across this today:

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scr ... Dolls2.htm

LOTR clothing/patterns for Barbie-doll size dolls.