Fellowship of the Ring - Performed live to the Film

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Fellowship of the Ring - Performed live to the Film

Post by Alatar »

I would love to see this...

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02 ... se-update/
Composer Howard Shore brought J.R.R. Tolkien’s literary imagination to vivid life with his Academy®- and Grammy® Award-winning score to Peter Jackson’s film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Shore crafted a fully-developed musical epic that related the classic tale with moving and intricately related themes for each of Middle-earth’s cultures and charted the One Ring’s journey with an exhilarating flourish.

Upon its 2001 arrival, Shore’s score, composed for large symphony orchestra, adult and boys choruses and instrumental and vocal soloists, was proclaimed an instant classic. Now the massive composition makes an unprecedented move to the concert hall. On March 26 and 27, the Munich Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Ludwig Wicki, and the voices of the Universitätschor München will present Shore’s entire 3-hour score to The Fellowship of the Ring live to the projected film.

“This is the first time that the complete score to The Fellowship of the Ring will be performed Live to Projection in Germany. I have long admired the Munich Symphony Orchestra and I am very happy that they will perform the piece with conductor Ludwig Wicki. My first score for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring, was the beginning of my journey into the world of Tolkien and I will always hold a special fondness for the music and the experience.”

Howard Shore

The music of The Lord of the Rings is counted among film music’s most complex and comprehensive works. Howard Shore’s score interconnects dozens of recurring themes to create a world as rich and thoroughly realized as the story that inspired it. This unique performance sets the score to the film, but allows the music to bear the narrative weight, creating a wholly new and dramatic live concert experience.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Oh wow, yeah. :love:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Until I figured out it was the soundtrack, I had an awful and terrible vision of a Rocky Horror style audience participation event with people in costume... :help:
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

*visualises a honky tonk pianist accompanying a silent version of the movie*
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

:rofl:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:*visualises a honky tonk pianist accompanying a silent version of the movie*
I would totally pay to see that. :D

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sped up a little, in black and white?

Especially some of the more over-the-top bits such as the wizard duel. . . .

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Lon Chaney as the Witch-King
kams

Post by kams »

axordil wrote:Until I figured out it was the soundtrack, I had an awful and terrible vision of a Rocky Horror style audience participation event with people in costume... :help:
We must have the same (slightly) demented minds. I thought the same thing.

** imagines an audience sing-along to May It Be. ** :scarey:
kams

Post by kams »

Sooooo, is anyone going??
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

The North American premiere will take place April 24th in Winnipeg:

http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms.blogspot.com/
Composer Howard Shore brought J.R.R. Tolkien’s literary imagination to vivid life with his Academy®- and Grammy® Award-winning score to Peter Jackson’s film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Shore crafted a fully-developed musical epic that related the classic tale with moving and intricately related themes for each of Middle-earth’s cultures and charted the One Ring’s journey with an exhilarating flourish.

Upon its 2001 arrival, Shore’s score, composed for large symphony orchestra, adult and boys choruses and instrumental and vocal soloists, was proclaimed an instant classic. Now the massive composition makes an unprecedented move to the concert hall. On April 24, the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Ludwig Wicki, with a chorus of over 100 voices will present the North American Premiere of Shore’s entire 3-hour score to The Fellowship of the Ring live to the projected film in high definition.

"This is the first time that the complete score to The Fellowship of the Ring will be performed Live to Projection in North America. I am very happy that the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra will perform the piece with conductor Ludwig Wicki. My first score for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring, was the beginning of my journey into the world of Tolkien and I will always hold a special fondness for the music and the experience."

-Howard Shore

The music of The Lord of the Rings is counted among film music’s most complex and comprehensive works. Howard Shore’s score interconnects dozens of recurring themes to create a world as rich and thoroughly realized as the story that inspired it. This unique performance sets the score to the film, but allows the music to bear the narrative weight, creating a wholly new and dramatic live concert experience.

“I am honored that we are able to present the North American premiere of this magnificent ‘Musical Wonder’ to Winnipeg with a 200 strong live cast,” stated Atilla Glatz of Attila Glatz Concert Productions.

"Being chosen by Howard Shore for the North American premiere of The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring is a tribute of the highest order to our musicians, to our symphony and to our city,” added Dale Lonis, Executive Director, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.

Tickets for this sensational event start at $39.00, and go on sale this Monday, March 10th, 2008 at all Ticketmaster outlets, by phoning 780-3333, or online at www.ticketmaster.ca.

Group discounts will also be offered, along with discounts for students and seniors

Presented by Attila Glatz Concert Productions, the MTS Centre and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.
kams wrote:Sooooo, is anyone going??
No plans at the moment, but, boy, I'd love to...

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That is definitely something that I would like to see/hear.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kams

Post by kams »

If it comes to Denver, I'm there.
TheTennisBallKid

Doug Adams wrote:Fellowship Live will make its U.S. debut on Wednesday, May 21 & Thursday, May 22 at 8:30 pm in Virginia at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. Press release below, click here for ticket info.

Wolf Trap is proud to present the U.S. premiere of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, a multimedia spectacular featuring the sweeping cinematography and stirring dialogue of Peter Jackson’s epic movie combined with a live performance of Howard Shore’s award-winning orchestral score. Enjoy this Oscar-winning movie in high definition on large screens in-house and on the lawn, and let the Filene Center Orchestra, the City Choir of Washington, and the World Children’s Choir bring Middle Earth to life.

The Filene Center is a beautiful venue... I have no doubt this will be an amazing event. (This will also mark the U.S. debut of conductor Ludwig Wicki, as if additional enticement were necessary!)

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.

Glory, we found glory.

Celebrate the love.
TheTennisBallKid

The Fellowship of the Ring Live is coming to London:

April 14 & 15, 2009
Royal Albert Hall
London Philharmonic Orchestra
London Voices

Other live performance dates:
FOTR LIVE

LYON, FRANCE
Orchestra National de Lyon
Monday, June 17, 2010
Tuesday, June 18, 2010
Wednesday, June 19, 2010
Thursday, June 20, 2010

TTT LIVE

LUCERNE, SWITZERLAND
Friday, 13 March 2009, 7.30 pm
Saturday, 14 March 2009, 7.30 pm
Sunday, 15 March 2009, 11 am
Sunday, 15 March 2009, 6.30 pm
March, 2009

MUNICH, GERMANY
Monday, April 6, 2009
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009

From Doug Adam's blog

Still waiting for more North American performances...
Glowah, eee chop glowah.

Glory, we found glory.

Celebrate the love.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

If this comes to NYC - and I think it will - am SO going!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I sense a London Moot coming...
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

FYI: Tickets for the April, 2009 London Philharmonic performance of The Fellowship of the Ring performed live to picture will go on sale this Friday, October 17 at the LPO's official website. Look lively!

So... who's interested?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

In this economy? :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I can tell you right now, I'll be there. I may be on my own, but I'll be there. ;)