Collectors Edition or Cash In?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Collectors Edition or Cash In?

Post by Alatar »

I consider myself a Tolkien Collector. Not an extremely serious one, but a collector nonetheless. I don't scour second-hand bookshops for first editions, but if I saw one at a good price I'd certainly consider buying. I have books, games, miniatures, calendars, posters, dioramas, DVDs, CDs, Videos, Jigsaws, cheap movie tie-ins, even Burger King Toys. My collection ranges from the cheap and nasty to the expensive and sublime.

So why am I sharing this? Obviously all of these things have one primary thing in common. They were all designed to separate people like me from our hard earned cash. I know this. I'm not under any illusion that Sideshow Toys make the Weta figures to the standard of detail they do because of any love of Tolkien. They do it because they know a well made statue will fetch a good price.

But this latest one leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I recieved a mail from Harper Collins, as one of their valued customers who has bought Tolkien material from them before. They asked if I would like to have the opportunity, as a fan, to purchase a signed limited edition copy of Children of Húrin. Now, I already bought the Hardback edition, and also the deluxe Hardback edition, cause, like I said, I'm a collector. But even so, I was interested. This edition was to be limited to 500 copies and signed by both Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee. It also comes in a nice presentation case. But this aside, its effectively the deluxe edition repackaged. So I said, yes please, send me the details.

They wanted £500 sterling for it.

Thats $1033.

For a book. A book that I already own. A book that sells in the Deluxe form for less than 1/10th that price.

Now, what makes me mad about this is that the price tag is not on the book. The price tag is on the signatures and the "Limited Edition". These books will be bought by some fans, possibly. But many will be bought as investments. They will be bought by rare book dealers. This, to me, is a cheaper cash-in than the Burger King toys. They at least had no pretension to be other than they were. This claims to be an offering for true fans.

I absolutely adore my Hardback Collection of Tolkien. I do not regret one penny of the money I spent on them, even the ones I have yet to read. My History of Middle Earth set was purchased for £120 twenty years ago. I borrowed the money from my parents, because I didn't have it. I paid them off over the course of a year. It was worth every penny. But what I was buying for that price was the books. The writing within them, and the quality binding. I was not paying for a "Number 73 of 500" sticker or certificate of authenticity.

Am I the only one who feels so strongly about this?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No, you are not the only one, Al, not by a long shot. :neutral:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Exclusivity, or the illusion of such, sells.

Just wait until next year when the edition with some of CJRT's DNA is offered. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Just be glad that you don't feel the need to buy something so outrageous to be happy with your collection (as you ought to be—it sounds marvelous!).

Some collectors seem so joyless, no matter how much money they spend. They don't seem to be buying the stuff because they care about it any more—just to complete this or that aspect of their collection, or to have the most expensive Tolkien edition ever. :roll: Even if they never dare open it for fear of reducing the value.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Al, according to http://store.tolkien.co.uk/ (and the posts made by the person supposed representing Harper Collins at TORC) the price is 350 pounds, not 500. Still way too much.

Among the many things that bother me about this is the fact that when the book was first released, it was emphasized that there was no plans to have Christopher Tolkien sign any copies. That now seems like a ploy to get people to have bought a deluxe edition, and now get the new "Exclusive Signed Limited Edition".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

That is ridiculous!!!

I got a very limited edition, signed, first edition, specially bound, pink (the normal ones are grey) embossed cover with a presentation box of "The Ladies of Grace Adieu" for barely £40, if not less. I know the author isn't nearly as well known, but £500!?

:rage:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They're taking a leaf from George Lucas's book. "This is the finest version that will ever be available! Oops, no it wasn't, this is! This will never be available again! Until we change our minds! But we'll change them back when this is sold out! Ooops, no we won't!"

—Owner of three versions of the original trilogy before she gave up
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King