A last look at Tolkien's Dorset house

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
solicitr

A last look at Tolkien's Dorset house

Post by solicitr »

Scheduled for demolition by developers who want to squeeze *two* new houses onto the lot.

You can see it from above (nicely hi-res) in Google Earth: Lat 50.7109° N, Lon 1.91499° W
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My goodness, what irony (in the worst possible sense)!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's regrettable, of course.

But as an American I have to say I thought any house Tolkien lived in would certainly have one of those cute humped roofs and those adorable mullioned windows, with perhaps a flowering vine clustering round the round-topped door. ;) This house would fit in fine in my 1950s-era suburban neighborhood.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Maybe more like this, then- Tolkien's house at 99 Holywell (1950-53):

This could come out of Beatrix Potter's Tailor of Gloucester- it was, after all, built when the King was named James or Charles, and the baxk garden wall is part of the medieval city wall! JRRT gave this one up because the traffic at the nearby major intersection created more noise and fume thyan he could take.

But in the larger sense, Tolkien's surroundings never mattered to him much (so long as they were quiet)- he lived inside his own head.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, that does look much more like what I would have guessed! :P

Though certainly Tolkien could have written anywhere.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

For a while there was bad feeling between Tolkien and one of his famous admirers, the poet W H Auden. Auden had visited Tolkien's Oxford home and had waspishly criticised his suburban taste to friends. Tolkien got word of this and wrote a letter in protest to Auden. I think Auden apologised and matters were mended.
To be fair, the taste in houses and furnishings may have been Edith's and he went along with it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It would certainly be reasonable for him to indulge her taste in that, given the time and effort she must certainly have put in to manage things so he could work and write in peace.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I'm trying to imagine fitting two houses where the one is now. Don't envy those later dwellers.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Trust me Jnyusa, over here that would not be unusual. Most suburban houses here are built on sites that are 1/8th of an acre, substantially less than that in a city. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Two houses?

They must be of old Dutch style then - high and narrow.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Jnyusa wrote:I'm trying to imagine fitting two houses where the one is now. Don't envy those later dwellers.
Actually, my first thought on reading the first post was, 'makes sense, there's ample room for two houses'.

It's regrettable that a house Tolkien lived in should disappear, but this one is particularly unsightly, and appears to me rather un-English in design, too. (Apart from the windows, which seem to be those horrifying unopenable ones you see frighteningly often in England. :scarey: )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Poole is a pricey resort community- it was in 1968, too- and what's happening there is pretty much identical to what's happening in many American beach resorts, like Stone Harbor NJ where my wife spent her childhood summers: as the value of the lots has skyrocketed, the original modest one-story bungalows have given way either to microdivisions, or to hulking mansions and condo complexes. The satellite imagery shows that in Tolkien's old neighborhood there are only a handful of similar small houses remaining, but lots of Architectural Digest monster homes (all plainly quite new).